LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 316 users in the forums

Can We End Dble Standards in 2010?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Can We End Dble Standards in 2010?

Originally posted by NinerGM:
I think it's because people see what they want to see. People will give the OL and coaching a pass, but criticize the player regardless of the situation in which they are placed. I cringe when I read things like "the line has gotten better" when moving to the shotgun and even the short passing game were all employed to field a basic, functional offense.

Every organization has a brain trust that helps guide it and identifies where they are in relation to real-world competition. I know I sound like a scratched CD, but until the line is fixed, until we have the expertise to identify, scheme and then develop our OL, the offense will always be marginal regardless of who's behind center and who's catching passes or running the ball.

All games are won an lost in the trenches, however the camera loves to focus on the effects (deep passes, completions, spectacular runs). It's not very exciting to show blocking or watching athletic big men execute blocking schemes to perfection.

Those shots aren't rated as high.

I agree! Whoever dominates the trenches wins 99% of the time,the games we lost Our QB was running for his life and Frank was running into a brick Wall.Also in the games we lost,our D-line was not getting pressure and the other teams running back was running free,see Tennessee game as prime example. We are one Stud away on D-line but O-line needs at least 2 horses on there...

[ Edited by Mister49 on Jan 11, 2010 at 18:25:17 ]
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Ok, this is just a thread wondering if our fans believe that we can end the double standards in this zone.

I just wonder if we can come together and overcome.

Examples are;

1. Smith played ok, the last 3 games, and put up pretty good numbers, but whether playing from behind or what, some said it was irrelevant because it was against horrible teams.

However, Our defense had some of their best games over the last 3 games, but some lose sight that it was against losing teams as well. Justin Smith and company had great numbers against these teams, but we praise them for great games, when we knock our QB because he produced against sorry teams.

Wr's on other teams, just like in the playoffs, make tons of catches from bad passes, and bad covering (any throw thats not 100% perfect). But with our team, the ball has to be placed perfectly or it's on the QB.

Flacco, Sanchez both put up under what Smith avg's in both their wins, but no one is grilling them on little production, and their Defense helped win the game, and make "KEY STOPS" at will when needed.

Overall, i'm just saying we really need to stop with the hating on our QB, and other personnel on the team, when opposing teams, may produce less numbers than us, still pull out the W, but their Win is accepted because of whatever reason. And if we win, it's still b***hin about how we won. A win is a Win and dont matter if by 20 points or 1pt.

So if we can look at other teams, and back them when they dont produce, we should be able to do the same for our team. I mean i read a thread that said support another team so blah blah blah could win, but then i replied, seriously. Someone in the zone wants us to support another team/player, when we cant even come together collectively to support our own team.

Well if people got off Smith's jock and look at the fact that Alex Smith was given over a dozen turnovers in those games u think he put up "pretty good numbers" and admit that he STILL played like a sack of Sh*t, then there wouldn't be any b***hing. My grandmother could put up better numbers than Alex Smith with all the extra turnovers that were handed to him. Enough of the excuses and everything will be fine. Every moron here that was on Nolan's jock made every excuse in the world for him and the bad teams he put on the field. The remnants of Nolan ave to go and that includes Alex & Scot Mc.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
It will never stop. I've come to the conclusion that nothing will satisfy the anti-Smith crowd. If Smith had performed as Rodgers yesterday, there would be a billion "Smith sucks" threads.

-9fA

Smith Sucks
Well according to some Smith deserves the double standard because he's never had good games like Rodgers.

I find that interesting through because he's held to the same standards in every other way. I mean why even compare then if admittedly they aren't "in the same league?"

It's like saying "well since Steve only won one super bowl to Joes 4, steve deserves to get ripped on for those NFC championship losses while Joe gets a pass on all his." And no this isn't a comparison it's just an example.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by krizay:
So this is just another pro Alex Smith thread dressed up like a pep rally thread!

They are sneaky! Those nut huggers!

I particularly like how he numbered his 1 and only example.

[ Edited by krizay on Jan 11, 2010 at 19:28:48 ]
So this is how it works: every time a QB has a bad game we are to say Alex Smith is better or at least as good and whomever doesn't conform to that notion is being hypocritical.
We need some forum nazi`s if u really want it to stop.
Jersey....you are exactly correct. Smith has done a very good job for the most part, and with our OL with 2 count them 2 backup OT's and guards that struggled 1 that was almost getting benched.....and that speaks volumes FOR SMITH. ALMOST Any other qb would of done not much better with that line and wrs and a lot would do worse. Look at these other qb's ON BETTER TEAMS on offense (mainly OL and wr's) doing a lot worse. Flacco and sanchez....yeah right.......

Smith is a good qb and will get better with time and OL improvement not to mention wr improvement.

people need to give our team respect no matter who they play....a lot of other teams play stl and det and don't do as well....people need to give credit where credit is due
Originally posted by CalgaryNiner:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
I was fascinated by the number of one handed catches by the WRs of balls thrown behind them, over them, and beyond them. The good WRs get the ball, catch it, hold on to it, and often run it in. Arizona and Green Bay have some very talented receivers. We now have two of our own and if Morgan, Hill, Jones, Walker, or whoever we draft, develop we will have a talented three to four deep set of WRs. I love watching Crabtrees ability to catch. It will definitely help Smith a great deal, just as without Fitzgerald and Jennings catching everything thrown their way we would think less of Warner and Rogers.

I also thought it was interesting how Flacco played. 10 passes, with four completions. In SF that would be a high crime. But he got the job done, with a fantastic Oline, and with a deep Running game. Same with the Jets. Not a statistical wonder but the defense set the tone and the team won.

We have our role models in place, lets get our oline in place, get a speedy receiver with velvet hands and lets play this coming year.

The problem is most fans of a team cannot view their team with objectivity. We're all too emotionally invested to make rational judgments.

Most non-49ers fans have watched Smith play this year and say he has improved considerably. They are not emotionally invested in him so they can exercise objectivity.
The funny thing is, if you look around Packers forums, they have been frustrated with how Rodgers has been holding onto the ball too long all season. I noticed these sentiments again in the ESPN forums after the game ending fumble last night.

All fans over-judge their own team - that's just the way it is.

By the same token. The team doesn't have time to nurture a QB taking baby steps. Watching other teams we can clearly see he is sub par. There is a reason for we cannot do much offensively, it is the QB not the o line.
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
I was fascinated by the number of one handed catches by the WRs of balls thrown behind them, over them, and beyond them. The good WRs get the ball, catch it, hold on to it, and often run it in. Arizona and Green Bay have some very talented receivers. We now have two of our own and if Morgan, Hill, Jones, Walker, or whoever we draft, develop we will have a talented three to four deep set of WRs. I love watching Crabtrees ability to catch. It will definitely help Smith a great deal, just as without Fitzgerald and Jennings catching everything thrown their way we would think less of Warner and Rogers.

I also thought it was interesting how Flacco played. 10 passes, with four completions. In SF that would be a high crime. But he got the job done, with a fantastic Oline, and with a deep Running game. Same with the Jets. Not a statistical wonder but the defense set the tone and the team won.

We have our role models in place, lets get our oline in place, get a speedy receiver with velvet hands and lets play this coming year.

The problem is most fans of a team cannot view their team with objectivity. We're all too emotionally invested to make rational judgments.

Most non-49ers fans have watched Smith play this year and say he has improved considerably. They are not emotionally invested in him so they can exercise objectivity.
The funny thing is, if you look around Packers forums, they have been frustrated with how Rodgers has been holding onto the ball too long all season. I noticed these sentiments again in the ESPN forums after the game ending fumble last night.

By the same token. The team doesn't have time to nurture a QB taking baby steps. Watching other teams we can clearly see he is sub par. There is a reason for we cannot do much offensively, it is the QB not the o line.

Nor do we have time to put a solid Line in front of ANOTHER player while we wait for THEM to catch on with the Offense.

It's astounding how little you think of the other problems surrounding our beleaguered QB. And a damn good thing you aren't working within our organization. If you were this team would NEVER have a winning season.

~Ceadder

Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Nor do we have time to put a solid Line in front of ANOTHER player while we wait for THEM to catch on with the Offense.

It's astounding how little you think of the other problems surrounding our beleaguered QB. And a damn good thing you aren't working within our organization. If you were this team would NEVER have a winning season.

~Ceadder

Ceaddar we haven't had a 1,000 receiver in 7+ years, that kinda says something, not you need a better Oline. Sure the O-line helps but Alex doesn't know how to use an O-line so it is moot really.

O-lineman aren't usually MVP's, I know it has been said other times ceaddar but good QB's overcome obstacles for mediocre/bad QB's those obstacles become Alexcuses. We didn't have the best lineman during all of our super bowl runs, we did have great QB's though.
  • bret
  • Veteran
I've never been a "my team, right or wrong" kind of guy.

When management is making stupid decisions, we are empowering them by supporting the bad product! If we want things to get better (i.e., if we want Super Bowls in our future as well as our past), then we need to stop drinking the kool-aid we are being fed.

And so I will continue to speak out against the apologists who, in my book, are simply people who accept mediocrity.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

~Ceadder

Ceaddar we haven't had a 1,000 receiver in 7+ years, that kinda says something, not you need a better Oline. Sure the O-line helps but Alex doesn't know how to use an O-line so it is moot really.

O-lineman aren't usually MVP's, I know it has been said other times ceaddar but good QB's overcome obstacles for mediocre/bad QB's those obstacles become Alexcuses. We didn't have the best lineman during all of our super bowl runs, we did have great QB's though.

Okay let's play by your rules.

7 years right?

Last year did Smith Start a single game? Nope.

2 years ago how many games did Smith start? Yeah.

Name our Starting Recievers for the remaining 5 years.

Only two of them have been Starting since they left here.

Only one of them have had 1k yards. Bryant.

So while you COULD attribute that to Smith. Or is it due to the lack of talent this team has had at the position. Especially when Battle had the better years amongst the lot of them.

And the Line? You're saying that Smith doesn't know how to use the Line???

If that's the case then neither does Frank. Because if they are as good as you make them out to be by your lack of argument they should be able to protect the QB as well as knock the Opposing Line off the ball. And they can do neither.

~Ceadder
No. Alex sucks.
If we get a good QB yeah we can.
Share 49ersWebzone