LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 298 users in the forums

If Pete Carroll comes to the NFC West...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BobS:
I agree with everyone so far. Carrol won games because of better talent and a knack to cheat with out getting caught. With out superior athletes he will be in trouble, he had the college equivalent of getting 15 first round draft picks every year.

Yup. I agree to a great extent. Does he have the "appetite" to put in the hours that NFL coaches need or will his golf game improve. The "Old Ball Coach", and others have proven that their is a reason it's called professional football. You have to put in alot of hours getting your teams this weeks advantage, not just pop into someones living room and convince a 17-18 year old student and his parents that your place has their sons best intentions in mind.

I have nothing against Pete Carroll, but I am sure that alot of the work to get his team together were done by the "coaching staffs", not the head coach.

Saban, who is probably one of the best NCAA football coaches couldn't get it done.
I have a feeling Mack Brown hasn't taken an NFL job because he doesn't want to have to put in the hours. How many times has Kirk Ferentz at Iowa been mentioned as a "potential frontrunner for NFL jobs". How about Bobby (midnight flight) Petrino? Or the master, Lou Holz.

Coaching in the NFL is a very difficult job that burns people out.
^ Seriously. I'm so happy Carroll is coaching the Seahawks, where his backups that backup his backups aren't top recruits in the nation (or whatever the NFL equivalent would be.)
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
^ Seriously. I'm so happy Carroll is coaching the Seahawks, where his backups that backup his backups aren't top recruits in the nation (or whatever the NFL equivalent would be.)

Hell I hope that he tries to pull a Dan the Fan this year. He's coming into a fight at the OK corral with a cap gun strapped on his side.

~Ceadder
I grew up in a pro-USC family and have a number of friends whom are part of the USC Alumni Association. They pretty much agree that the only reason Pete Carroll would leave L.A. (where he is basically worshipped and delegates most of his job duties), is to run away from the on-coming sactions from the NCAA. The real culprit, however, is USC's A.D. Mike Garrett who has been sweeping things under the rug for the past decade. But the NCAA now has a vacuum cleaner and the Bush menagerie is gaining steam right now. They could potentially be stripped of their national title (2005), lose scholarships and be put on bowl probation. That would kill recruiting, especially with Arizona, Stanford, Washington, etc. starting to become more of a presence in the Pac-10.

I agree with Niner99 that Carroll was a lousy NFL coach. The Patriot players virtually petitioned to have him booted out of New England. They couldn't stand his "rah-rah" attitude. He's a decent Defensive Coordinator, but as a professional head coach, he has much to be desired. Not a good move on the part of Seattle Seahawk management. But at least he will be close to his former USC Off Coordinator - Steve Sarkisian - who is now head coach at Washington.
Originally posted by boast:
i agree with what i heard yesterday.....

there is a difference between coaching rich 25 year olds and coaching poor 19 year olds.
Cards will be nothing without Warner.

Carol...he already failed.
Originally posted by momoney925:

there is a difference between coaching rich 25 year olds and coaching poor 19 year olds.

that was an excellent quote from dungy.
Pete Carroll is gonna fail again as a head coach in the NFL. 9ers are gonna spank the seacocks next year.

That's a great quote and a very accurate one. I'm not going to say that Pete Carroll completey sucks, but like everyone else here on the WZ, I think he's going to be in for a big surprise when his players don't respond to him.

A couple of questions I do have because I'm doubtful of his ability to succeed at the NFL-level:

1. How long will he eventually last? What's the over and under on this one?
2. Assuming he pulls a Steve Spurrier and decides to head back to the college ranks, where would he want to go? Of course, this is assuming he'd want to stay in coaching, wants to go back to the college ranks, etc., but it may also be too early to ask this question.
Pete Carroll is a DOUCHE BAG!

• titan
  • Veteran
You should've stayed in school! Now we are going to kick yourA$$!
the reality is Caroll did put the Patriots in the playoffs 2 years in a row. That is a lot better than erikkson, nolan, and Sing have done for us. Carroll is an upgrade over Mora. Mora was bad. I think in a couple years the Seahawks will be much improved. It wil be interesting to see who he puts on his staff. Also Carroll was the DC for our Niners and is a SF born guy so don't hate on him too hard OK. Believe me I despise USC so I dont really like Carroll, but I do respect him.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by PTulini:
What if Pete Carroll brings Ken Norton Jr. with him to Seattle? Ken is/was Carroll's Assistant HC of Defense/LBs.

This answers my own question...

Source: Carroll to Bring Bates, Norton with him (ESPN)

Ken Norton a seab****? I'm gonna vomit then cry

Yeah I already said this in a different thread. What the f**k is up with b*****d rivals always stealing our former coaches/players. Seahags take Norton, Fudgepackers took Holmgren, Beagles took the WCO, Donkeys took Shanahan, now the Redskins took Shanahan, Tards taking Billy Davis, Fudgepackers taking McCarthy, Seahags take Holmgren, Seahags take JP, etc. Everywhere I look it seems like someone is stealing from us or our past. f**k the rest of the NFL, get your own stuff!

It's called opportunity. They had to move to get one. I can't believe you put Billy Davis on that list and what the f**K has Norton proved at the NFL level in coaching
(or at the NCAA level).
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
What if Pete Carroll brings Ken Norton Jr. with him to Seattle? Ken is/was Carroll's Assistant HC of Defense/LBs.

This answers my own question...

Source: Carroll to Bring Bates, Norton with him (ESPN)

Ken Norton a seab****? I'm gonna vomit then cry

Yeah I already said this in a different thread. What the f**k is up with b*****d rivals always stealing our former coaches/players. Seahags take Norton, Fudgepackers took Holmgren, Beagles took the WCO, Donkeys took Shanahan, now the Redskins took Shanahan, Tards taking Billy Davis, Fudgepackers taking McCarthy, Seahags take Holmgren, Seahags take JP, etc. Everywhere I look it seems like someone is stealing from us or our past. f**k the rest of the NFL, get your own stuff!

consider it flattery. we produce quality product.

its no secret that the Bill Walsh coaching tree, and WCO system revolutionized the entire NFL. think of how many of the greatest coaches of this era came from Walsh's tree. the majority. Walsh's coaching tree members:

Mike Holmgren **
Jim Fassel
George Seifert **
Dennis Green **
Sam Wyche **
Paul Hackett **
Steve Mariucci
Andy Reid
Mike Sherman
Ray Rhodes **
John Fox
Mike McCarthy
Jon Gruden
Bill Callahan
Mike Mularky
Bruce Coslet
Mike Shanahan
Jeff Fisher
Gary Kubiak
Brian Billick
Mike Tice
Jack Del Rio
Scott Linehan
Tony Dungy
Lovie Smith
Mike Tomlin
Rod Marinelli

I cont about 5 or 6 on that list that I would call direct Walsh coaching alumi. Kubiak learned from Shanahan as an example, and SHanahan was already an
established coach when he took the 49er OC position. In fact, he wouldn't have
had anything to do with Walsh or a direct descendant of the tree if it weren't for
King Al and his stupidity.

I put asterisk next to those that I believe Walsh had a major impact on. The others, maybe some impact but his disciples had more to do with them.

I mean come on, Tony Dungy. Tony Dungy got his start as a DB under Knoll.
I think that has much more to do with Knoll than Walsh.

Lovie Smith, Rod Marinelli, Jack Del Rio, I mean come on.
Originally posted by 9er2631:
the reality is Caroll did put the Patriots in the playoffs 2 years in a row. That is a lot better than erikkson, nolan, and Sing have done for us. Carroll is an upgrade over Mora. Mora was bad. I think in a couple years the Seahawks will be much improved. It wil be interesting to see who he puts on his staff. Also Carroll was the DC for our Niners and is a SF born guy so don't hate on him too hard OK. Believe me I despise USC so I dont really like Carroll, but I do respect him.

The real question is how many years ago was that. As king of USC, he didn't have to put in the hours that it takes to do NFL coaching. He's been spoiled for 10+ years now, and I don't think that upgrades anything.

How many truly winning NCAA coaches at that level have made a big impact on the
NFL? You might find some that went from the NFL to figurehead retirement in the NCAA and did well, but you'll be hard pressed to find ones that went from the NCAA
to the NFL. Don't give me Bill Walsh because Stanford is not considered one of the peach jobs. Show me someone from Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Auburn, Florida,
Miami (right Johnson, but what about Erickson), Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan or those types of schools that went from the NCAA to the pros and made a splash,

It takes way to many hours, and most of these guys have "greatly appreciated behing the manor lords" at their incumbent Universitys to put in the work it takes
at the NFL level.

The more I think about it, the more I can't think of any. Lou Holtz anyone? Steve Spurrier? How about Bear Bryant? Darrel Royal? Woody Hayes? How about the
dean, Joe Paterno or Bobby Bowden? Come on, bring on the names?
Share 49ersWebzone