There are 147 users in the forums

The future

Shop Find 49ers gear online
With all the doom and gloom about here I want to make more of an optimistic thread and see if anyone agrees with my glass half full approach to next season.

Some people have criticised Singletary and his conservatism or lack of knowledge etc, but sometimes it is easy to forget this is his first full year as HC. He will like a player grow and learn and I think be a much better HC next season, he has shown he can adapt and is willing to listen to players (the whole increasing the spread thing).

Also something I think will be useful in future years is he seems to know how to reign in potential troublemakers. It gives us a chance to get talented players who have lost their way (Brooks) or people who have fallen down the draft order and try and get them to reach their potential, with Nolan I never got that impression, just look at Bryant who is now a good WR.

We have 2 1st rounders this year, coupled with our 2nd we should be able to get at least 2 starters (hopefully three) in a very talented draft! Then there is always the (slim) potential for a breakout from later rounds.

Our defence is (IMO) only one or two players away from a consistently top 5 defence I would say CB and pass rusher, I am very hopeful for Brooks, but if he can't perform I do not want to to go another season without a top pass rusher.

The offence for all its struggles will benefit from another TC and season, for me it mainly looks like we need Oline help. if we can spend some cash and get a veteran and then draft a RT or G with one of our top 3 picks I reckon they could play a lot better next season. Especially as Smith should be getting all the starter reps with Crabtree and VD under the same system for the first time in his NFL career

If I have left anything out just add it, if you disagree try not to insult me, just point out where you think I have been too optimistic/areas I have overlooked
I pretty much agree with your evaluation of the team's potential to improve. The problem is for the past four years I too have thought the glass half full going into the next season, seeing the positives from the previous season and identifying the areas where we can and will improve to make us a better team for the next season. And for four years we have come up short of my expectations, for whatever reason. Maybe I've been too optimistic, in my desire to win overestimating the smarts of coaches and talent of players. It's hard to be a zealous fan and objective at the same time.

So this year I'm not going to get excited. I'm just going to say, yeh we could be better, but there is no guarantee. The glass could just as easily be half empty as have full. I'll go along for the ride, but I won't expect much. They will have to prove to me they can be a real playoff team. If they do I will be pleasantly surprised and if they don't, what else is new?
Originally posted by kunged:
With all the doom and gloom about here I want to make more of an optimistic thread and see if anyone agrees with my glass half full approach to next season.

Some people have criticised Singletary and his conservatism or lack of knowledge etc, but sometimes it is easy to forget this is his first full year as HC. He will like a player grow and learn and I think be a much better HC next season, he has shown he can adapt and is willing to listen to players (the whole increasing the spread thing).

Also something I think will be useful in future years is he seems to know how to reign in potential troublemakers. It gives us a chance to get talented players who have lost their way (Brooks) or people who have fallen down the draft order and try and get them to reach their potential, with Nolan I never got that impression, just look at Bryant who is now a good WR.

We have 2 1st rounders this year, coupled with our 2nd we should be able to get at least 2 starters (hopefully three) in a very talented draft! Then there is always the (slim) potential for a breakout from later rounds.

Our defence is (IMO) only one or two players away from a consistently top 5 defence I would say CB and pass rusher, I am very hopeful for Brooks, but if he can't perform I do not want to to go another season without a top pass rusher.

The offence for all its struggles will benefit from another TC and season, for me it mainly looks like we need Oline help. if we can spend some cash and get a veteran and then draft a RT or G with one of our top 3 picks I reckon they could play a lot better next season. Especially as Smith should be getting all the starter reps with Crabtree and VD under the same system for the first time in his NFL career

If I have left anything out just add it, if you disagree try not to insult me, just point out where you think I have been too optimistic/areas I have overlooked

Nice post, & I agree!
Good post, I do not understand all the whining that goes on here. The plain fact is that when Eddie D decided that breaking the law was more important than being in charge of the best NFL franchise ever he left the team in the hands of an owner with zero experience. They, in turn made a series of poor decisions concerning the coaching staff while they gained experience. It is really no wonder that the rebuild is taking so long. Bottom line is that there are more than a few here that find more pleasure dwelling on the least little negative thing than taking notice of the areas that have begun to improve finally.
I think that this off season and draft will firm up our shaky areas on the team. I believe that we need an OT and OG at least. We need a speedy back and a speedy WR for the offense (think Spiller/Gilyard), and I think we will be set for the next season. I think an Oline of Staley/Carter/Heittmann/Rachal/Iupati would be quite the line.

I also think that Graham/Haden/Reshad Jones on the Dside would fill in our remaining question marks and then hope that Brooks continues to develop along with Graham.

That would be quite a team, both offensively and defensively.
I agree with your assessment. We just need to keep in mind that the other teams are improving as well. So filling a few holes thru the draft and an additional year of experience doesn't guarantee us the playoffs. But I sure hope so.
Well said!!!!!

A point I want to add is we should find a backup for Gore, i mean a real RB who is very hungry...Gore is not getting any younger and what we have right now isn't cutting it, IMO
Originally posted by mufasa76:
Well said!!!!!

A point I want to add is we should find a backup for Gore, i mean a real RB who is very hungry...Gore is not getting any younger and what we have right now isn't cutting it, IMO

yeah i'm not sold on coffee...the jets getting shonn greene in the 3rd round was the steal of the draft...even if they had to trade up to get him
Starting to see some element of player development, which was sadly lacking under Nolan. Brooks springs to mind as an example although there are others
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I AM THE FUTURE !!!

Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:

yeah i'm not sold on coffee...the jets getting shonn greene in the 3rd round was the steal of the draft...even if they had to trade up to get him

Oh heck yes! In preseason, I thought we had the better of it with Coffee, while Shonn Greene wasn't looking that good. Once the games started counting, the roles reversed, big time! Greene looks way niftier than such a big guy ought to be, while Coffee seems to seek out the pile instead of the daylight.
10 bucks we start the season with a loss.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
10 bucks we start the season with a loss.

Originally posted by aiiyiiyiii:
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:

Oh heck yes! In preseason, I thought we had the better of it with Coffee, while Shonn Greene wasn't looking that good. Once the games started counting, the roles reversed, big time! Greene looks way niftier than such a big guy ought to be, while Coffee seems to seek out the pile instead of the daylight.

Yeah when Greene had his monster year at Iowa I was always impressed with how good his field vision was...nobody really brought it up.
Share 49ersWebzone