LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

Why hasn't McCloughan made more trades?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
When I look down the transactions lists of all the NFL teams our team is one of the few that is missing from the trade column. There has been over 30 trades in the league since March 2008. Aside from the Carolina deal, which was proposed to him by Panthers GM Marty Hurney, after the Darrel Jackson trade, nothing else since 2007. I think by not using every means to improve our team has hurt more than helped. What do you think?
Maybe because he wasn't interested in making trades just for the sake of making trades to appease the silly, whiny fanbase.

my guess is that Nolan had a lot more power and control than most people think.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Maybe because he wasn't interested in making trades just for the sake of making trades to appease the silly, whiny fanbase.

So thats why trades are made and not to make the team better? Thanks!
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

So thats why trades are made and not to make the team better? Thanks!

Well you're b***hing about why he didn't make trades when you don't have the least motherf**king idea who was available and how much we would have had to give up to get them. Speculation is f**king stupid.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
When I look down the transactions lists of all the NFL teams our team is one of the few that is missing from the trade column. There has been over 30 trades in the league since March 2008. Aside from the Carolina deal, which was proposed to him by Panthers GM Marty Hurney, after the Darrel Jackson trade, nothing else since 2007. I think by not using every means to improve our team has hurt more than helped. What do you think?

For whom exactly are you referring to?

If it's about defense, we've added big player free agents and established continuity that elevated our D to top 15 status.

If it's about offense, well...besides the Randy Moss trade, there hasn't really been a lot of high profile trade action since.

Word
Other than Draft picks (at the draft) or the occasional disgruntled player (Charles Haley, TO) I don't remember any big time trades ever.

(I know you will prove me wrong in 2 minutes, I didn't do any research)

It seems to me that the NFL is not big on player for player trades. There are some, and some really big ones at that, but it is not like MLB, or NHL where there are huge trades every season and every team is involved in at least a few deals.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:

If it's about defense, we've added big player free agents and established continuity that elevated our D to top 15 status.

If it's about offense, well...besides the Randy Moss trade, there hasn't really been a lot of high profile trade action since.

Brandon Marshall, Boldin was on the market. Cutler, Roy Williams, Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow all traded.

With that said, I thought I read we were interested in Cribbs and Brady Quinn

I'm not talking about high profile players only and no one in particular, just anyone that could help period. It seems like a long time without making a deal for a backup OT or KR for example. I'm not here to argue, just talk about football.

Originally posted by krizay:

Brandon Marshall, Boldin was on the market. Cutler, Roy Williams, Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow all traded.

Cribbs, yes, Brady no
NFL player trades are rare, unlike the NBA. You trade 2 #1s for a Javon Walker, and well, you know

Draft day trades tend to be according to the "value chart"
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
NFL player trades are rare, unlike the NBA. You trade 2 #1s for a Javon Walker, and well, you know

I wonder when the "value chart" will be replaced with something more realistic.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by krizay:

Cribbs, yes, Brady no

I don't support the Cribs trade if they demand anything higher than a 4th or 5th. He's a return man who turned 27 this season.

Give me 4 years of a Pro Bowl punt returner and I'll give you a 3rd (Coffee, Brandon Williams, et al). We've struck gold in the 3rd (Joe, Gore, McIntyre) but there have been LOTS of busts in the 3rd. Give me a guy (Cribbs) at the height of his skills and a team that is also about the same age

I wonder when the "value chart" will be replaced with something more realistic.

When Mel retires
Share 49ersWebzone