There are 169 users in the forums

Chris Foerster Being Retained..

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SJniner7:
This just in... "Niners will be retaining the whole offensive line in hopes of instilling continuity"

Are we going to see another messed up draft where our needs aren't addressed, because Sing somehow thinks that the light with some of these players will suddenly just click on? It wouldn't shock me...

please tell me this doesnt mean were not drafting an o line
This just in... "Niners will be retaining the whole offensive line in hopes of instilling continuity"

Are we going to see another messed up draft where our needs aren't addressed, because Sing somehow thinks that the light with some of these players will suddenly just click on? It wouldn't shock me...

I hope not. I think Singletary learned a lot from this past year. One thing that I hope that he's learned, is to be a little more objective and to temper his expectations.

-9fA
You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh!t.
This is the problem when there is no real boss behind this organization. Until there is, expect no better decisions than this one.
we need to draft at least 2 o-line players and hope we hit on at least one.
This continuity thing is so we can continue success. I mean there are some things from this season that we DONT want to continue with next season. Our obvious non-existant blocking on offense CANT be continued. If we want to get better of course.
Originally posted by susweel:
Its not his fault he has crappy linemen to work with.

The blame goes on McClueless for drafting stiffs like Baas, Snyder, and Rachal.

Can't blame the players when the Coach has no clue how to use their talents.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
FFUUUCCCKKKKKK

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I actually disagree with Maicco:
Quote:

The 49ers had their challenges in 2009 on the offensive line, to be sure. And the 49ers will undoubtedly focus attention on improving that area of the team in the offseason - most likely with one of the team's first-round draft picks.

The biggest challenge Foerster faced was playing most of the season with backups at both tackles positions.

Veteran Tony Pashos was the player the 49ers decided on as their starting right tackle after five games. But Pashos got only one start there before a broken shoulder blade ended his season. Adam Snyder started 15 games at right tackle and struggled.

Joe Staley played six games at left tackle before seeing his season derailed with torn knee ligaments early in the team's Week 7 game at Indianapolis. Although veteran Barry Sims played well, he did not supply the kind of run-blocking the team would expect from Staley.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/01/a-closer-look-at-the-49ers-offensive-line.html

How is this at all true? As I recall it, Adam Snyder "won" the ROT from Marvel Smith. He was the designated starter after camp. We signed Pashos for depth, not to start. Because Snyder struggles (no surprise here), Pashos and Snyder "rotate" positions and then Pashos within one game "wins" the spot and then is hurt. As I remember it, Foerster got his man in Snyder, the "winner" and then he gets Pashos which was unexpected. Matt makes it sound as if we were anticipating Pashos all along. Snyder was the proven camp player right? So sorry, the "loss" of both starting tackles is a stretch as to why this line didn't perform.

So either this is a criticism of the personnel decisions in that at some point all parties believed that Snyder could actually start in the NFL at ROT or Foerster wanted more help at ROT and we waited until Smith retired before getting that help. In either case there's a major problem and the OL coach should be ringing every alarm demanding that we acquire more talent at the position.

At this point, I don't understand who's "at fault" but I do know one thing; THIS SYSTEM AINT WORKING and keeping a failed system in place hoping success will ensue is foolish at best.

Furthermore, Matt gives no explanation as to why Rachal plays so poorly and is not developing. He's just saying that Rachal was bad. So who's responsible for developing the player? That's what we expect from the coaching staff. Just throwing draft pics at this would be like investing in a house with structural and foundational damage. It becomes a resource pit.

I'm hoping for the best, but my expectations for 2010 again isn't high. If I'm McCloughan and my job is riding on the seasons outcome, I'm asserting my GM role a bit more than I have previously.

Just sayin.

You should email Maiocco and ask clarification on the article. It sounds like more of a defensive PR article on the 49ers website than an unbiased beat writer article.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
When will zoners realize, two things. The Yorks are cheap, and aren't willing to spend in areas not governed by the salary cap, such as front office and coaching help. Coaching skills and player evaluation skills make a big difference in the success of an NFL team. Take for example Mike Shanahan, at Denver he got 1,000 yard rushing seasons out of former Jr college players, Mike Anderson who played for Mt San Jacinto JC, gained 1,000 yards under Shanahan's regime. Guys like Bobb McKittrick coached 11th round draft picks, like Jesse Sapulo into becoming
Pro Bowl players. Some coaches can find Pro Bowlers in grocery stores. The 49ers
will never have such talent on their staff because the Yorks are cheap, great coaches do not work for peanuts. Singletary has hit his wall that he will not go past, the proof is a 5-4 record last year, and then following up with 8-8. Give him all the excuse you want, he is not doing well learning on the job, the proof is in the results on Sunday. His college rah, rah crap and motivational speeches only go so far, players are individually doing better, but we don't see an improvement in the bootom line.

EL GUAPO is going to have a fit now
i guess we need quality OLineman that don't need much coaching...that way the ol coach is out of the picture
Relax guys.... Singletary tends to bend, but doesnt break! He WILL draft quality O-Line AND mandate that the O-line get fixed OR he's gone after next year after we fail again!

I hope to f**k not, no team deserves Adam Snyder at the RT spot.
To give the Niner staff the benefit of the doubt, maybe the plan was to draft Michael Oher, but that plan got sidetracked by Crabtree's still being on the board.

Still, kind of shocking that a team that says it's going to "impose its will" on opponents, and run when they know the run is coming, goes into the season with such a patchwork O line.

Pashos was a decent pickup, just unfortunate he got hurt.. but Marvel Smith was going to be the solution before Pashos.. and Smith in camp was wearing a back brace and walking like he was on needles even while they were publicly saying he was going to shore up the line. I saw one practice photo of Smith and that was all I needed to see that he wouldn't be able to help us. But they didn't go after Pashos until later.

THEN they fed us the carp about how much Adam Snyder had improved, and how he would be this completely different player if they just left him at one spot. I don't mind a little misdirection but when the coaches are fooling THEMSELVES, something's badly wrong.

DUMP FOERSTER and get a real O line coach.
Share 49ersWebzone