LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

The Idea of Hiring an OC Assistant.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I truly feel if Sing had to pull Raye's arm to run the "Raye-Gun", then Raye isn't the OC we need because he didn't want to adjust to what the players were more comfortable in and what would produce.

I wonder if there would be any possibility of hiring an Assistant OC from college who knows everything about the "Spread"?

But that would make too much sense.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I truly feel if Sing had to pull Raye's arm to run the "Raye-Gun", then Raye isn't the OC we need because he didn't want to adjust to what the players were more comfortable in and what would produce.

I wonder if there would be any possibility of hiring an Assistant OC from college who knows everything about the "Spread"?

Why? Johnson knows the spread (even though we don't run it), he is already here and is already being groomed to take over.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Why? Johnson knows the spread (even though we don't run it), he is already here and is already being groomed to take over.

THAT, I didn't know. What's his history with the Spread?
I think I'm the minority, but I thought Raye did an okay job with the offense this season. In his first year as OC, Raye had to deal with learning about his players and creating a run-first offense. Then 2 games before the halfway point, he has to do a complete 180 and adapt the offense around Alex Smith, and use a pass-first offense.

He had to insert Michael Crabtree in the mix. He had to deal with Gore, the "bell-cow" going down for a couple games. He had to deal with a crappy offensive line.

This season, the offense was at the bottom of the league, but I felt that they showed flashes of moving the ball well. They had sustained drives throughout the year.

I don't know if Raye could deliver a top 5 offense with the 49ers. But I'm sure that with some continuity and progression with our young players, we can be in the top half.

I'm looking forward to what Coach Johnson can do. I like the idea of him being brought along for the next season or two. Hopefully, he'll be groomed to be a great offensive coordinator.

a few articles posted within recent weeks (too lazy to look them up, sorry) mentioned that he spent time between gigs studying the spread.

a few articles posted within recent weeks (too lazy to look them up, sorry) mentioned that he spent time between gigs studying the spread.

Studying and successfully aplying are very different.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
I think I'm the minority, but I thought Raye did an okay job with the offense this season. In his first year as OC, Raye had to deal with learning about his players and creating a run-first offense. Then 2 games before the halfway point, he has to do a complete 180 and adapt the offense around Alex Smith, and use a pass-first offense.

He had to insert Michael Crabtree in the mix. He had to deal with Gore, the "bell-cow" going down for a couple games. He had to deal with a crappy offensive line.

This season, the offense was at the bottom of the league, but I felt that they showed flashes of moving the ball well. They had sustained drives throughout the year.

I don't know if Raye could deliver a top 5 offense with the 49ers. But I'm sure that with some continuity and progression with our young players, we can be in the top half.

I'm looking forward to what Coach Johnson can do. I like the idea of him being brought along for the next season or two. Hopefully, he'll be groomed to be a great offensive coordinator.

Agree, nice post!

Why don't we just try and get Ted Tollner again? Didn't it help Hostler..

In fairness to Raye, he was hired as the OC so he could run Singletary's "smash mouth" offense. Perhaps the fact that he was slow to change, was because the head coach himself was slow to change.
how many chefs are needed in the kitchen?

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I believe he has only learned when he visited Illinois, but never really coached in it.
Originally posted by Allx9er:
how many chefs are needed in the kitchen?

for reals. next year if sing, raye and johnson all have input and the offense doesnt do as well i predict a thread with that exact sentence starting it out. lol
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I believe he has only learned when he visited Illinois, but never really coached in it.

Not unlike Raye.

We don't run the spread anyway, IMO. Shotgun d.n. = spread.
Originally posted by Wubbie:

Can't argue with that, well said.
Originally posted by 49erFan:
In fairness to Raye, he was hired as the OC so he could run Singletary's "smash mouth" offense. Perhaps the fact that he was slow to change, was because the head coach himself was slow to change.

AGREE!
Share 49ersWebzone