There are 191 users in the forums

Why I am worried about bring back Jimmy Raye

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm all for Alex succeeding, but it sucks that we have a QB whose success is dependent on him learning the system, as opposed to a QB that can make magic happen, regardless of the playbook.
I thought some people wanted him back so Smith would have continuity? I wasn't thrilled with him, but there he is.
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
I'm all for Alex succeeding, but it sucks that we have a QB whose success is dependent on him learning the system, as opposed to a QB that can make magic happen, regardless of the playbook.

those guys dont last long. unless your name is farve of course. havent you ever had a supervisor replaced with another. then that new one want yu to do the same job a totally different way. Well thats whats hes going through. Just in front of a whole lot more people.
Ill tell you this his name was almost a curse word in my home. i expect that he will have a real good season. if the line holds up.

Im so tired of people also talking about predictability of the O when the line could not hold up on the outside for runs. we could not run to either side so we had to run the middle. when we ran to the sides it was normally going to be a loss or short yds.

Im not saying that raye is a genius or anything but the genius is only there when the play works as designed.. Hell The saints was predictable as hell but they did fine. The difference is the LINES held in NO.

most of the elite QBs need to learn the system before playing well includes peyton manning drew brees riverstom brady

really the only good qb that i can think of that doesnt need to learn the system is favre but maybe thats because he has so much experiance

Hey, some QBs have the ability to make other players better, Alex isn't one of those guys, he needs a solid team around him.

I think of Smith as being book smart, not street smart. He hasn't shown comfort in any system because he hasn't ever been in a system for more than a year and it is all making sense to him now. Street smart people or QBs improvise and make things happen even when its not scripted. The problem is he doesn't have the nutz or just isnt naturally outspoken so he's always just adapted or gone with the flow instead of speaking out and letting his coaches know his feedback. Why wait until now to speak up??

I haven't been a fan of him and wished we got rid of him 2 years ago, but I truly think he will eventually get things going in the right direction as long as he takes responsibility of this team and is man enough to communicate with people when things dont make sense or he doesn't feel comfortable.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Jimmy Raye is a concern, but he shown hes willing to listen to players....VD, Smiff Crabz......
Originally posted by AmbulanceDriver:

Hey, some QBs have the ability to make other players better, Alex isn't one of those guys, he needs a solid team around him.

Alex is the type of player that does best when he knows what's going on around him, and when he knows the scheme. I'm sure Alex will do quite fine when the plays develop as they should.

The problem I've had with Alex is that when plays broke down, he's always looked lost and would force his throws. I just haven't seen him with that kind of "magic" or the ability to pull something out of his ass, like we've grown accustomed to from Joe, Steve, and sometimes Jeff. You could definitely point to our lack of an O-line as part of what has stunted Alex's growth, but we've had s**tty lines in the past. Heck, I thought noodle-arm Shaun Hill did better with what he had than Alex did, even with the ducks he threw.

I'm just tired of 3 and outs. That's all. Go Alex. Show us what you're made of.
BUMP!
Originally posted by NickSh49:
BUMP!

I haven't had a chance to see the game yet but I'm guessing we started out slowly, the first team offense looked ill-prepared and unimaginative, we focused mostly on the TE & RB's in passing with a heavy dose of predictable RB (plays), little on WR's, the spread or crossing patterns, shot-gun's, misdirections, etc. Focus was mostly on the basics and the RB and power running game in predictable sets and down? It's pre-season but seems to be him M.O. How far off was I? Fill me in...anything you saw that could be encouraging?

its preseason, the 1st game of preseason at that so all u people b***hing about his playcalling need to just relax or ur gonna have a heart attack or s**t yourselves, whichever comes first.
in preseason your not calling out your best plays, im not worried about play calling in preseason
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
its preseason, the 1st game of preseason at that so all u people b***hing about his playcalling need to just relax or ur gonna have a heart attack or s**t yourselves, whichever comes first.

That 3rd and short we had.....he called that dumb pass play. I know its preseason but I was like WTF.....maybe next week we use Dixon.
  • Mex49
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
BUMP!

I haven't had a chance to see the game yet but I'm guessing we started out slowly, the first team offense looked ill-prepared and unimaginative, we focused mostly on the TE & RB's in passing with a heavy dose of predictable RB (plays), little on WR's, the spread or crossing patterns, shot-gun's, misdirections, etc. Focus was mostly on the basics and the RB and power running game in predictable sets and down? It's pre-season but seems to be him M.O. How far off was I? Fill me in...anything you saw that could be encouraging?

you forgot the dropped screen on a 3rd and 11; other than that, you nailed it
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

That 3rd and short we had.....he called that dumb pass play. I know its preseason but I was like WTF.....maybe next week we use Dixon.

on the other hand we did put up 37 points so something was working
Share 49ersWebzone