There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why I am worried about bring back Jimmy Raye

  • Mex49
  • Member
  • Posts: 2,979
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
My favorite play was against Indy. We were backed up at our own 12 yard line, and it was 3rd and 8. Jimmy called a full back dive with Norris. Great call.

FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL

:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
cuz he's a hard headed moron who doesn't seem to have a creative cell in his half dead brain.

"3rd and 20? SCREEN!!!"

next drive

"3rd and 20? SCREEN!!!"

next drive

"3rd and 20? SCREEN!!!"
You forgot our third and twenty play. Hand off to Gore up the middle!

PFW's Take........FYI

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/01/11/ranking-the-offensive-coordinators
Originally posted by Mex49:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
My favorite play was against Indy. We were backed up at our own 12 yard line, and it was 3rd and 8. Jimmy called a full back dive with Norris. Great call.

FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL

:

I bet the Colts D.Coordinator was laughing his ass off on that one.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,175
Because Knute Rokne thought he was innovative?
My mama said life is like a box of Jraye offense-stupid is as stupid does.


Run Forrest Run, Forrest run...straight into a tunnel of darkness


He has got as much imagination and innovation as a kumquat.
  • Hollywoodmark23
  • Info N/A
Be a real fan and believe in your team. Stop finding all the negative to talk about. if you don't see progress than your blind and too stubborn to see. Raye wasn't the problem all the time. We need to execute what we practice and learn to catch the ball.
I'll start worrying about JR by the 3rd or fourth game next year if they haven't improved by then.

I'm not high on Raye but I'm anxious to see what this offense can do with the same OC for the second year in a row,especially Alex Smith.
Smith himself said a lot of the plays they ran when he took over weren't practiced in tc so we'll see.
I also hope Nate Davis gets a lot of reps next year so if Alex falters or is injured,he'll will be prepared if his number is called.


Go Niners
The thing that really, really, really, worries me.................

Sing and Scotty have a whole off-season to upgrade the O-line. And after the line is upgraded, we'll see a renewed dedication to 1930s football. The team will run itself into a 21 point hole EVERY FREAKING GAME.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
We didnt improve on 3rd down as the season went on. We never fixed that problem. It was a problem throughout the entire season. Singletary said stuff like "the players are not executing the plays on 3rd down", but if you ask me, the problem is 3rd down playcalling.

It's a valid concern. Unfortunately we're going to have enough turnover on offensive personnel (we better have) that also changing the OC would be a complete disaster. The time to get a top guy would have been last year. Right now continuity is pretty important if we're to make the play-offs next year. Nothing that a decent QB not named A. Smith can't fix
Jimmy Raye makes me wanna punch small animals in the face


[ Edited by sincalfaithful on Jan 11, 2010 at 23:32:40 ]
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
cuz he's a hard headed moron who doesn't seem to have a creative cell in his half dead brain.

"3rd and 20? SCREEN!!!"

next drive

"3rd and 20? SCREEN!!!"

next drive

"3rd and 20? SCREEN!!!"

next drive

"3rd and 20? DRAW!!!"
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
We didnt improve on 3rd down as the season went on. We never fixed that problem. It was a problem throughout the entire season. Singletary said stuff like "the players are not executing the plays on 3rd down", but if you ask me, the problem is 3rd down playcalling.

So everything is supposed to be fixed in one year?
We're supposed to just change personnel in the middle of the season?
You must know a lot about play calling in the NFL!?

You ever heard of "being patient"?

[ Edited by 9erluv415 on Jan 12, 2010 at 07:41:24 ]
Raye was ranked as #20 on the OC's list around the league using the link above.

That's about right for his entire career. And this is where my concerns lie.

The same thing he's been given a pass on in 2009 (Singletary wanted a run-oriented OC, changes of QB's with different styles, injuries, change in philosophy mid-season, etc.) are the very same things we should be concerned about going into 2010.

An OC should have a playbook that is designed to be adaptable to any situation esp. one who's been in the league for half a century. Hill excelled in a wide-open spread-like offense; no doubt, this would be an offense Smith would excel in as well. Raye was not prepared for this. People say Crabtree was late coming in but did we not draft Crabtree back in April? It's not like we didn't know he would be coming in at some point and that we'd probably want to balance our offense and attack more with him. Raye was not prepared for this. We already knew at some point we'd need to utilize our weapons to balance with Gore with Morgan who was great last year in a spread, VD, then Crabtree...we also had Hill & Bruce as well as Robinson and Walker as proven weapons in the passing game. Yet the focus would ONLY be on Gore and the offensive line as the "bell cow?" Raye was not prepared for this. I think there was a clear understanding that at some point, Smith would get another shot and this organization wanted to give him one more opportunity given the large investment and the unfair shake he got here to start his career. Was Raye ready for this?

Raye, despite his 55 years in the league, should have a much more adaptable and less predictable approach to games. We've already beat topics to death such as him having the most predictable playcalling in the league, horrible 3rd down %'s mainly d/t to poor and predictable 1st and 2nd down calls, poor starts esp. first halves, poor performance in away games, no TD's on the first drive, stubborness to adapt quickly when we were down, lack of creativity, his age and old-school approach, constantly being out-coached, rarely studying the oppositions waeknesses and attacking them outright, etc. but why are THESE issues being overlooked b/c he had to face some adversity in 2009?

The truth is, every year OC's have injuries and personnel issues to address and despite knowing in advance what those were to a degree, was Raye prepared? We apparently had a ST coach ill-prepared upon losing his #1 returner with no viable replacement or contingency plan. He's gone now despite a proven track record of success. Yet Raye stays despite his own lack of adaptation?

People here seem to think "continuity" will bring it all together? Why is that? The only continuity Raye has shown over his career is a proven below-average offense that's just good enought to keep his job but not good enough to take us to the next level.

Singletary, a defensive-minded/old-school coach hand picked Raye - shouldn't THAT have been more then enough to have a cause for concern?

"Can't win with 'em...can't do it!"

If people on this thread honestly believe we can suddenly rise to a top 12 offense under Raye, please tell me why you think this way - I'm curious. Please leave out individual player achievements. I want to know why you think RAYE will take us to the next level.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
We didnt improve on 3rd down as the season went on. We never fixed that problem. It was a problem throughout the entire season. Singletary said stuff like "the players are not executing the plays on 3rd down", but if you ask me, the problem is 3rd down playcalling.

Major upgrades on the OL will help on the 3rd downs .Maybe next year we want see guys coming thru the OL untouched .