LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

The 49ers pass rush is real folks but we still need more pieces

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • THEBESTEVER
  • Info N/A
Over the past few days I have been reading a lot of quotes on how the 49ers pass rush isn't that good, we don't get pressure against .500 + teams, and that we only get pressure on the sorry teams. Now I'm not saying this is everyone but there are many who do follow this trend. I dvr every game and rewatch all the games multiple times. What I came to find is that only Five games this year the niners didn't bring a consistent rush, and only two of those teams made the playoffs. Also please excuse the first Seahawk game since Matty was rocked by Mr. Willis and the attack on #15 changed do to his odvious strength of being able to create offense with his feet. Those five games were:

Falcons, Texans, Titians (I believe), Packers, and Eagles.

We had some of are better games against two of the best teams in the league. Those two teams actually have a first round bye: Colts and Vikings.

Now some of you may disagree and you have that right, but if you recall from that Viking game the niners had Farve off point more then a few times and actually got in a few sacks and several hits. Against the Colts I believe we were the first team up until that point in the season to even bring Manning to the turf.

All I'm saying is that you are not top 5 or 10 in sacks for nothing. I guess Coach Harris paid off after all. NICE
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=136149&highlight=3rd
  • THEBESTEVER
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=136149&highlight=3rd

Thanks I 'll move over to that one
While we ended up with a decent # of sacks at seasons end,8 came against the lambs and there were far too many times we didnt get any pressure and we paid for it,see Eagles game,Falcons game,etc..Im Happy we are better there but i wouldnt hesitate to find another pass rusher if one comes available..
The opposing teams quarterback must go down, and he must go down hard.
Yeah but a lot of times they were either scheme sacks due to blitzes and stuff or we couldn't get them when we needed them like vs Favre with 12 seconds left. Sack him on that play and its game over. Sack Hasselbeck in Seattle on that long pass and it's game over. We need a guy who can consistently bring the heat, Brooks might be one and Smith can be one at times even though it's not really his job in the 3-4. But we need a guy opposite Brooks/Manny who can consistently beat his man, like a Charles Haley/Fred Dean type of player or atleast a Jared Allen/Freeney/James Harrison type of player.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Yeah but a lot of times they were either scheme sacks due to blitzes and stuff or we couldn't get them when we needed them like vs Favre with 12 seconds left. Sack him on that play and its game over. Sack Hasselbeck in Seattle on that long pass and it's game over. We need a guy who can consistently bring the heat, Brooks might be one and Smith can be one at times even though it's not really his job in the 3-4. But we need a guy opposite Brooks/Manny who can consistently beat his man, like a Charles Haley/Fred Dean type of player or atleast a Jared Allen/Freeney/James Harrison type of player.

Agree we gotta find someone to get in there. Hopefully in the draft.
It was said a number of times.We need to scheme pressure to get pressure.
We do not have a player who will constantly apply pressure, some body like Jared Allen.
That's the kind of player we need.

The lack of such a player is probably also the reason why in thight situations the niners defence was playing prevent.

We were not able to control the opponents pass, and it starts upfront. Offences focused on Justin Smith ( who is a beast) and other player such as Parys were not able to step up and use that to their advantage.
There is no question that our pass rush can improve. Another pass rusher drafted will assist in that direction. However, or pass rush has improved. To be as high as we were this year indicates clearly that we have improved.

Justin Smith is a great 3-4 defensive end. Sop is good at run defense but gets little pressure on the QB,. It would be wonderful if we had N. Suh at Sop's position to balance out J. Smith but that draft pick is not likely to happen. But that would be another avenue to improving our pass rush

No team, including Minnesota and Jared Allen gets a sack on every play. They don't even get pressure on the QB on every play. But what they do is focus on pass rush so that every man has to be accounted for and they are constantly looking for the mismatches that can be exploited. We still need to work on those areas. We also need to have a person that can take up two blockers each and every play to open the door for the pass rush from wherever it may come.

So I say congratulations team for the massive improvement. Now lets take the next step. Lets get Graham, Hughes, Brooks, Briggs, Schofield, or whoever it is that will take us the next step in our growth as a defensive team.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Lawson and Haralson are poo poo at pass rush. We need some real talent putting pressure on the Qb. Brooks and a new comer would be a welcome sight.

Even if you take away the 8 we had against the lambs, we still would've been #14 in team sacks with 36, pretty good compared to what we used to put up, one more legitimate pass rusher this offseason and we're there.
Yes, we need a top flight CB with tons of speed!
Originally posted by tohara3:

Agree we gotta find someone to get in there. Hopefully in the draft.

Also agree. It is about consistency. They are still inconcistent in getting pressure.
A very nice article on our pass rush and on Justin Smith and Manny Lawson

http://bayarea.sbnation.com/2010/7/13/1567527/49ers-manny-lawson-justin-smith-pass-rush
Share 49ersWebzone