LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 299 users in the forums

Just watched Nate Davis highlights!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by thaakingd:
the biggest difference i see in nate davis that makes him a step above alex is he's more accurate and his release time is the fastest i've seen in a long time. Which by the way eliminates batted balls at the line of scrimmage!!

Come again?

It doesn't eliminate a damn thing being able to get it out faster. Well other than LESSENS Sacks because he won't be holding it forever an a day.

HOWEVER did you see how much faster Alex has gotten the ball out since he was reinserted as the Starter? When he's under Pressure Alex can put some zip on the ball. It contributed to a number of the short yardage drops. Receivers weren't able to get a handle on the thing because it was in their face like NOW.

So you wanna try that again or is that your final answer?

~Ceadder

nate has looked BETTER in his preseason play than Alex has looked in preseason over the past few years.

Alex NEVER looked that natural, even in preseason, whether it was his rookie year or not....
don't know about last play but what i liked about the vid was no interceptions
@Ceadderman....It is well known that a fast release eliminates people jumping up and batting balls down. It should be an obvious thing if u think about it. As for Alex...yes he does have decent zip on the ball, but his release is still slow.
[ Edited by thaakingd on Jan 5, 2010 at 11:00 PM ]
You decided this after....

1) Watching a highlight video. They only show the best plays. None of the worst...

2) You realize he was playing against 4th stringers in the Preseason who are no longer in the NFL?

Originally posted by marshniners24:
I got 3 things out of that video. 1 Our backup oline was awful, I saw maybe twice he actually had a pocket. 2 Jason hill has talent. 3 Nate davis is awesome.

Never played football in my life, but I certainly played other sports. And I think we can all agree that certain athletes have "it". To me. Al does not have it. He can play the next 10 years and maybe get better, but never have that special sense to become great. Davis has certain mechanics that need to be corrected, but more importantly, has the awareness of what it takes to be a winner in the NFL
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
Originally posted by marshniners24:
I got 3 things out of that video. 1 Our backup oline was awful, I saw maybe twice he actually had a pocket. 2 Jason hill has talent. 3 Nate davis is awesome.

Never played football in my life, but I certainly played other sports. And I think we can all agree that certain athletes have "it". To me. Al does not have it. He can play the next 10 years and maybe get better, but never have that special sense to become great. Davis has certain mechanics that need to be corrected, but more importantly, has the awareness of what it takes to be a winner in the NFL

I've always been one of the bigger Alex Smith fans (12men, Roger, ZRF can all attest to this), but i'm just over it. He might be better next season, but not what we need to get into the playoffs (Palmer, Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Warner, Mcnabb, Romo, Brees, Favre) sanchez and flacco dont count because they have no shot.

every Qb in the playoffs with a legit chance to win it are soooooo so far ahead of smith. O line,Wr's and weapons altogether aside, are all still so far ahead, and always will be.

I have no idea what Davis is gonna be able to bring to the table in the future, but he has a HELLUVA of an arm, with an even better release. both things smith lacks, so we'll see.

but i think everyone has accepted A smith sint the future, at least if we wanna be a dynasty at some point.
[ Edited by DynastyChile on Jan 5, 2010 at 11:11 PM ]
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
the biggest difference i see in nate davis that makes him a step above alex is he's more accurate and his release time is the fastest i've seen in a long time. Which by the way eliminates batted balls at the line of scrimmage!!

Come again?

It doesn't eliminate a damn thing being able to get it out faster. Well other than LESSENS Sacks because he won't be holding it forever an a day.

HOWEVER did you see how much faster Alex has gotten the ball out since he was reinserted as the Starter? When he's under Pressure Alex can put some zip on the ball. It contributed to a number of the short yardage drops. Receivers weren't able to get a handle on the thing because it was in their face like NOW.

So you wanna try that again or is that your final answer?

~Ceadder

nate has looked BETTER in his preseason play than Alex has looked in preseason over the past few years.

Alex NEVER looked that natural, even in preseason, whether it was his rookie year or not....

It's PRE-season. It means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

But I will say that when Alex was a Rookie the 1st teamers were pretty much 3rd Teamers compared to Nate Davis playing with actual 3rd Teamers. So your assessment is overly subjective.

I'm not saying the guy sucks. We truly do not know WHAT Davis gives us under Center. He may be the next Shaun King or he could be the next Elvis Grbac. A solid backup a serviceable Starter and that's about it. Short of the great Karnak tapping you on the shoulder and handing you an envelope he retrieved from a sealed mason jar under the front porch of a little old lady, you DON'T know any more than I do. Preseason is good to find out who should be on the team and who will be looking for the next Bagging job. Especially if you aren't in the competition to be QB1....

@Ceadderman....It is well known that a fast release eliminates people jumping up and batting balls down. It should be an obvious thing if u think about it. As for Alex...yes he does have decent zip on the ball, but his release is still slow.

Ummmm no it's not. It's an ASSUMED statistic. The reason it's assumed is because Linemen are focused on getting another statistic. SACKS. Some are solid enough to do both like the guy that got the INT off the batted Pass. He timed it correctly and jumped in the air high enough to get it. It means NOTHING when a QB learns to use a solid PUMP FAKE technique. That man can jum in the air all he wants he's gonna miss it if it ain't there. Isn't he? And does it matter how slow his release is if the Receivercan't catch the ball cause it's in their mug before they are READY for it?

Just admit that you like Nate's upside. I do I like his upside ALOT. But you're then trying to convince me (the reader) with subjective opinion with little fact to back up your argument. You were doing well before you did that. It is your opinion after all. And next time you can click the reply link and don't have to @ anyone.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Jan 5, 2010 at 11:25 PM ]
Based off of what you see on tape, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to see Nate at least challenge Alex in camp. My wife is one of those half way fans that pays attention to football only because i do, but she said one of the truest things I have herd in a long time when talking about Alex Smith. She asked why does it seem like whenever Alex has to throw the ball beyond 30 yards it always looks like a Hail Mary?

I had to pause and laugh a bit because she was dead on. After watching Nate throw, it is very easy to say that Alex does not have an NFL arm. Nate throws the ball 40 yards effortlessly on the run not setting his feet, while Alex has to set is feet and step into it with all his might to get the ball beyond 40 yards and when he does throw it it has a hang time of a punt. I can think of 3 or 4 times this season the Crabs was sent streaking or on deep ins that Alex under threw on.

If he knows the Offense then Nate should have shot at competing with Alex in the off season.
  • benzino
  • Info N/A
Nate Davis is nice but he's going to get beat out by almost anybody we bring in next year to compete,be it a rookie or veteran.After not practicing almost at all as a qb,he's have to explode to have any shot at taking the helm and it's not going to happen.
Just watched the vid for the first time.. (not the full vid)

a few observations.

#1 our playcalling while he was in. (eventhough simplified for nate) was better than it was all season.
#2 He can find the open WR even when he is under pressure.
#3 I see a little bit of roll right throw it away with him also.

He looks like he has wayyyyy better mechanics than Smitty.

I do like alex, but not for the future though. I must say he has improved tremendously but not enough to be warranted a savior. Case in point, is the number of times i can recall him over throwing Crabtree when he was wide open. Crabtree could have easily been close to the Jerry Rice rookie stats of 900+ yards if not for dropped balls and miss throws.
I do like alex, but not for the future though. I must say he has improved tremendously but not enough to be warranted a savior. Case in point, is the number of times i can recall him over throwing Crabtree when he was wide open. Crabtree could have easily been close to the Jerry Rice rookie stats of 900+ yards if not for dropped balls and miss throws.

True, but he also could have beat those stats if he signed before the season started.
Originally posted by 49Gorillas:
Based off of what you see on tape, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to see Nate at least challenge Alex in camp. My wife is one of those half way fans that pays attention to football only because i do, but she said one of the truest things I have herd in a long time when talking about Alex Smith. She asked why does it seem like whenever Alex has to throw the ball beyond 30 yards it always looks like a Hail Mary?

I had to pause and laugh a bit because she was dead on. After watching Nate throw, it is very easy to say that Alex does not have an NFL arm. Nate throws the ball 40 yards effortlessly on the run not setting his feet, while Alex has to set is feet and step into it with all his might to get the ball beyond 40 yards and when he does throw it it has a hang time of a punt. I can think of 3 or 4 times this season the Crabs was sent streaking or on deep ins that Alex under threw on.

If he knows the Offense then Nate should have shot at competing with Alex in the off season.

If your wife is a halfway fan. Then she probably doesn't know anything about what a Hail Mary is and probably heard you say it so she's basing her statement on your knowledge. Have her watch 2 or 3 seasons on NCAA ball and then invite her to watch an NFL game with you. I'm not trying to be a jerk at all. It's just that I cringe whenever I see or hear someone expounding on someone with little knowledge says the truest thing they ever hear.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Jan 5, 2010 at 11:34 PM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
You decided this after....

1) Watching a highlight video. They only show the best plays. None of the worst...

2) You realize he was playing against 4th stringers in the Preseason who are no longer in the NFL?

1) It was every single pass he threw in the pre-season (the "highlight" video)

2) He had our 4th stringers in the Preseason with him who are no longer with us as well
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49Gorillas:

If your wife is a halfway fan. Then she probably doesn't know anything about what a Hail Mary is and probably heard you say it so she's basing her statement on your knowledge. Have her watch 2 or 3 seasons on NCAA ball and then invite her to watch an NFL game with you. I'm not trying to be a jerk at all. It's just that I cringe whenever I see or hear someone expounding on someone with little knowledge says the truest thing they ever hear.

~Ceadder

Smith can't throw the deep ball with any constancy. He might get lucky every once in a while but he's not a deep pass QB...which is sketchy because he is only really productive in the shotgun.
Share 49ersWebzone