There are 210 users in the forums

Just watched Nate Davis highlights!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Adman
  • Veteran
So I already miss watching 49ers football and it's only been what...2 days?! Anyway, I watched Nate Davis hightlights from the preseason on youtube. There is a video of every pass he threw in the preseason that is about 9 minutes long. I must say, after watching his video of every throw he made in the preseason he is definitely going to be our QB of the future as long as he has an offense he can master for a few seasons.

Watch the video...he has amazing accuracy and touch with his throws. He brings an energy that you can see...he gets back in his drop really quickly which gives him more time to scan the field. He also feels the rush and avoids pressure with nice sidesteps or scrambles out of the pocket with his eyes always looking downfield.

As much as i like Alex Smith and was pleased with his performance and improvement...Nate just has that look when he plays...he's got that "it" factor and a hugee cannon of an arm that is very accurate.

I don't think their should be a QB competition per say this offseason....Alex should be the starter during the offseason...but I think and hope that the coaches keep a close eye on how Nate Davis does during practices. It could be a surprise like Shauntae Spencer winning the starting CB job out of nowhere.
Nice post. That youtube compilation makes for pleasant viewing!

I'm also really upbeat about Davis and, like you, think it's best to give him as much time as we're able for his development.
Video is from Marvin49, if you guys didn't know.

Waiting on his Crabtree vid.
Thank you for posting that. It's great to see all of his throws on one reel. He reminds me of donavan mcnabb except that he is not really a scrambler. The guy has a cannon arm. He doesn't even look like he is throwing hard. Also most of his passes are right on the money. He doesn't throw them high like Alex does a lot. (Alex is getting better though.)

I don't think that he will challenge Alex for the starting job BUT I think he is going to be the second string qb. The offseason is going to be huge. Nate Davis needs to hit the books hard.
I got 3 things out of that video. 1 Our backup oline was awful, I saw maybe twice he actually had a pocket. 2 Jason hill has talent. 3 Nate davis is awesome.
I can't watch this any more. Sorry

But 3 things strike me here from what I did watch.

1).Great job QB'ing the team against 3rd and 4rth Teamers trying to make the squads.

2)Even though one of them was a $4|t team. This kind of puts thing into perspective when the QB has success against the Retreads 3rd and 4th team Camp Fodder.

3) He throws way too much off his back foot. Now granted it's probably because he doesn't have time to set his feet but still even when he's rolling out he does it. While he can deliver the ball due more to 1 and 2 try doing that against 1st team players consistently. People think Alex does that too much? Nate did it on 2/3 of his passes.

Now I am impressed with a Rookie QB that is spot on accurate but as I pointed out let's see that against a Philly Defense before we go out and hoist him on our shoulders as the future.

But you know how this guy could get his Reps in and better determine his future with this team?

Have HIM run the F'N Tazer instead of scrubs like Spurlock!!! Or heck we could run the Wildcat AND the Spread whenever Defenses start pinning their ears back. Oh man I'm still not happy with the Coaching decisions that happened this season.

~Ceadder
well...people argue about nate looking good against 3rd stringers...

BUT, nate has looked BETTER in his preseason play than Alex has looked in preseason over the past few years.

I can honestly say that Alex NEVER looked that natural, even in preseason, whether it was his rookie year or not....
Originally posted by Adman:
So I already miss watching 49ers football and it's only been what...2 days?! Anyway, I watched Nate Davis hightlights from the preseason on youtube. There is a video of every pass he threw in the preseason that is about 9 minutes long. I must say, after watching his video of every throw he made in the preseason he is definitely going to be our QB of the future as long as he has an offense he can master for a few seasons.

Watch the video...he has amazing accuracy and touch with his throws. He brings an energy that you can see...he gets back in his drop really quickly which gives him more time to scan the field. He also feels the rush and avoids pressure with nice sidesteps or scrambles out of the pocket with his eyes always looking downfield.

As much as i like Alex Smith and was pleased with his performance and improvement...Nate just has that look when he plays...he's got that "it" factor and a hugee cannon of an arm that is very accurate.

I don't think their should be a QB competition per say this offseason....Alex should be the starter during the offseason...but I think and hope that the coaches keep a close eye on how Nate Davis does during practices. It could be a surprise like Shauntae Spencer winning the starting CB job out of nowhere.

OOOOOOh. He has a lazer beam for an arm!
  • wolfpack219
  • Info N/A
What worries me about his development is that I have heard he doesn't even throw the ball in practice. We have had him lining up as a receiver? WTF is that all about? I think if we are trying to develop a QB let him uhhhhhhhhhhh.......... THROW THE FOOTBALL? Maybe someone can shed some light on this but I think its kinda odd if you ask me.
It is an interesting contrast. He seems quicker than Alex, but he makes a number of spontaneous throws. Sometimes they will succeed, but they can also be impulsive and rash, and can result in costly turnovers. I saw a number of bad throws, the kind that Alex would get blasted for if he threw them.

It has been mentioned that we saw preseason action. This is an entirely different environment than regular season games against confusing defenses, and complex blitzes. He would have to deal with penalties that put him in the hole, dropped passes, uncertain route-running, and TEs that sometimes won't turn their head around in time.

Intriguing, I say, but not a sure thing by any means. He could be another glitzy JTO - looks brilliant, then flat out crumbles. We will have to see.

well, if we gave nate 5 years time to play and develop like we gave alex, i'm sure he'll be good...
[ Edited by ginseng1000 on Jan 5, 2010 at 10:27 PM ]
the biggest difference i see in nate davis that makes him a step above alex is he's more accurate and his release time is the fastest i've seen in a long time. Which by the way eliminates batted balls at the line of scrimmage!!
yup. something about him, he just looks natural. alex is a little bit more tense when he's playing. i know it was against the 3rds and 4ths, but nate also had our 3rds and 4ths out there too. (49ers 3rd string o-line )
Originally posted by thaakingd:
the biggest difference i see in nate davis that makes him a step above alex is he's more accurate and his release time is the fastest i've seen in a long time. Which by the way eliminates batted balls at the line of scrimmage!!

not only that, but pocket awareness. nate seems to stay in the pocket much better
Originally posted by thaakingd:

Come again?

It doesn't eliminate a damn thing being able to get it out faster. Well other than LESSENS Sacks because he won't be holding it forever an a day.

HOWEVER did you see how much faster Alex has gotten the ball out since he was reinserted as the Starter? When he's under Pressure Alex can put some zip on the ball. It contributed to a number of the short yardage drops. Receivers weren't able to get a handle on the thing because it was in their face like NOW.

So you wanna try that again or is that your final answer?

~Ceadder
Share 49ersWebzone