LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

When's the last time...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
we had a three game winning streak. Despite going 8-8, this is another season of failing to put together three consecutive wins. Although this undoubtedly is due to other tangible problems, I think it's a major reason why we can't get over the hump. Teams that get on rolls gain confidence and get the mentality that they are winners. Unfortunately, every time the Niners are on the cusp, riding a two game streak, they choke.

This is why I feel the Minnesota game, although early in the season, is really what put a dagger in this team. We just can't seem to shake the loser mentality and play with confidence when it counts. Had we won that game, I think this season turns out in our favor.

Anyone have the answer to the initial question? My guess is 2002 because Lord knows it's been a long time. Do people agree with me? Again, I realize that lack of talent and costly mistakes play into the lack of a winning streak but hell, even Cleveland won 4 straight this season.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
we had a three game winning streak. Despite going 8-8, this is another season of failing to put together three consecutive wins. Although this undoubtedly is due to other tangible problems, I think it's a major reason why we can't get over the hump. Teams that get on rolls gain confidence and get the mentality that they are winners. Unfortunately, every time the Niners are on the cusp, riding a two game streak, they choke.

This is why I feel the Minnesota game, although early in the season, is really what put a dagger in this team. We just can't seem to shake the loser mentality and play with confidence when it counts. Had we won that game, I think this season turns out in our favor.

Anyone have the answer to the initial question? My guess is 2002 because Lord knows it's been a long time. Do people agree with me? Again, I realize that lack of talent and costly mistakes play into the lack of a winning streak but hell, even Cleveland won 4 straight this season.

Agree 100% with this. It took the wind right out of our sails. The players were like here we go again.
I agree with the getting on a roll part.

Look at the bengals this season, they had a crappy showing week 1, got on a roll, all of a sudden they had that swagger and fought through anything that came their way.
I partially agree. The Minnesota game was a let down, but with the exception of the Atlanta game, the Niners made every effort to win.......... I do agree that beating Minnesota in Minnesota would have been a spring board to a winning attitude.

As far as when the last 3 game winning streak was? I seriously can't remember. My guess would be 2002............ The last playoff season.......

Well, to answer your question regarding last time we had a 3 game winning streak, please see below.

1) If you count the pre-season, then first 3 games of 2009
2) If you don't count the pre-season, then the last two games of 2008 and first two games of 2009

3) and if you don't count the "break" between the two seasons, then it was in 2006 (weeks 9 - 11)
Week 9: 9 - 3 over Vikings
Week 10 : 19 - 13 over Lions
Week 11: 20 - 14 over Seahawks

I think Sing has done much to eliminate the losing mentality you mentioned. There is a big difference between not having a losing mentality and having a winner's mindset, though, so I fully agree about the importance of establishing a nice fat winning streak next season.

I suspect that our recent teams have been unusually vulnerable to exploitation in the film room following a win or two and that a lot of that vulnerability has to do with weaknesses in our personnel being covered up by schemes, game planning, etc. By the time the 3rd opponent rolls around, however, the game planning and schemes that worked well enough in the first two games have generally been laid bare by a stack of film and the winning streak grinds to a halt.

This year's simplified playbook undoubtedly contributed to our vulnerability in the film room. Really, it's amazing we played the Vikes as well as we did.
[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Jan 5, 2010 at 8:11 PM ]
  • Dreskee
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by NumberOneFan:

Well, to answer your question regarding last time we had a 3 game winning streak, please see below.

2) If you don't count the pre-season, then the last two games of 2008 and first two games of 2009

3) and if you don't count the "break" between the two seasons, then it was in 2006 (weeks 9 - 11)

Nice work man...you're all over that.
Originally posted by Dreskee:
Originally posted by NumberOneFan:

Nice work man...you're all over that.

I concur, nice research. I'm also disappointed in myself. I should have remembered that three game streak because I remember thinking how important the Seattle game was at the time. We honored Rice at halftime for retirement. Special game.
  • 49erTone
  • Info N/A

Last 3 game winning streak was in 2006 ...I agree, that Viking game really hurt us the rest of the season
Share 49ersWebzone