There are 197 users in the forums

General Rules for Team Improvement...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
It's funny how everyone is on Shanahan and Cowhers nuts

Cowher wasn't s**t until Big Ben arrived (Franchise QB)

Shanahan wasn't s**t until Elway got them 2 SB's (Franchise QB)

Bill Belichick wasn't s**t until Brady arrived (Franchise QB)

anybody notice something? they were nobodies until the team got themselves a FRANCHISE QB

If we had a franchise QB on the roster we would have made it to the playoffs and all of a sudden Singletary would be a GENIUS and everyone would be on his nuts.

Let's give the man a chance and see if Smith can turn into that QB next season, if not we move on and keep searching for our franchise QB.

Some of you overrate these coaches way too much

Im on schottenheimer's nuts
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by krizay:

anybody notice something? they were nobodies until the team got themselves a FRANCHISE QB

If we had a franchise QB on the roster we would have made it to the playoffs and all of a sudden Singletary would be a GENIUS and everyone would be on his nuts.

Let's give the man a chance and see if Smith can turn into that QB next season, if not we move on and keep searching for our franchise QB.

Cowher went to Superbowl with Neil Freakin O'Donnel

Shanahan only 3 losing seasons after Elway was 99 (elways 1st year retired), 07 & 08

Bellchick and Bledsoe went to Superbowl.

O'Donnel wasn't a HORRIBLE QB and neither was Bledsoe, they weren't Franchise QB's but enough to get you into the playoffs. Compare their roster to ours this year, they had more talent than we did..that's what I'm getting at. Yes they are great HC's but they aren't saviors..unless we start drafting good talent and find ourselves a franchise QB (or at least someone decent..hopefully Smith) we will always be mediocre doesn't matter who the HC is.

Cowher is the only one that stands out to me because he did it on a consistent basis with different QB's who weren't so great.

Stewart, Maddox and others weren't certainly good QBs - in fact can you actually call Stewart a true QB. I remember /slash. I agree with you that we shouldn't dump Sing, but it would seem a "franchise" QB isn't as necessary as people think it might be. However if your QB is going to suck, your OL talent and coaching have to be great.

I agree I was just saying that once these teams got their Franchise QB they actually won a SB...We don't need a franchise QB but if we don't have a franchise QB we need to be deep in talent on all levels. I guess everyone expected Singletary to turn this team into a playoff team after one season with pretty much the same team as last years..not gonna happen. Hopefully we make the most of this years draft
This is Sing's 1st year as fulltime HC. Give him a couple more years to adjust before calling him a bust. After all, he led us to an 8-8 record - best since 2002.

I say he's doing something right and taking our team in the right direction.
[ Edited by NinerGold39 on Jan 5, 2010 at 3:22 PM ]
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

O'Donnel wasn't a HORRIBLE QB and neither was Bledsoe, they weren't Franchise QB's but enough to get you into the playoffs. Compare their roster to ours this year, they had more talent than we did..that's what I'm getting at. Yes they are great HC's but they aren't saviors..unless we start drafting good talent and find ourselves a franchise QB (or at least someone decent..hopefully Smith) we will always be mediocre doesn't matter who the HC is.

Let's compare the Rosters shall we?

QB
Neil O'Donnell--246/416, 2,970 yards, 17 TDs to 9 INTs
Alex Smith--225/372, 2,350 yards, 18 TDs, 12 INTs.

Comparable stats in my mind. Had Smith been a starter for a full 16 game season he would have much better stats than O'Donnel

RB
Eric Pegram--213 rushes, 813 yards, 5 TDs. 26 catches for 206 yards and 1 TD
John Williams--29 rushes, 110 yards, 0 TDs. 24 catches for 127 yards and 1 TD

Frank Gore--229 attempts, 1129 yards, 10 TDs. 52 receptions, 406 yards, 3 TDs
Glen Coffee--83 attempts, 206 yards, 1 TD. 11 receptions, 76 yards, 0 TDs

WR
Yancey Thigpen--85 catches, 1307 yards, 5 TDs.
Charles Johnson--38 catches, 432 yards, 0 TDs

Michael Crabtree--48 receptions, 625 yards, 2 TDs
Josh Morgan--52 receptios, 527 yards, 3 TDs. 5 rushing attempts, 61 yards.
Jason Hill--9 receptions, 90 yards, 2 TDs

TE
Mark Bruener--26 catches, 238 yards, 3 TDs

Vernon Davis--78 receptions, 965 yards, 13 TDs
Delanie Walker--

Offensive line
Center--Dermontti Dawson
Left Guard--Tom Newberry
Right Guard--Justin Strzelczyk, and Brenden Stai
Right Tackle--Leon Searcy
Left Tackle--John Jackson

Strzelczyk was the starter every game but one at right guard but Stai was worked in regularly for some experience (he was a rookie). All of their starters had been in the league for at least 7 years and except for the center they'd all played in Pittsburgh for at least five years. The center was a recent acquistiion for the Steelers but he was a Pro Bowler that year.

Center--Eric Heitmann
Left Guard--David Baas
Right Guard--Chilo Rachal
Right Tackle--Adam Snyder
Left Tackle--Joe Staley/Barry Sims

By contract our line is relatively young. The most experienced player is Barry Sims. This is Snyder's fifth year, Rachal's second, Heitmann's 8th, Baas' fifth, Staley's third. The good news is that all of them except for Sims have played in San Francisco for their entire careers.

Dawson and Thigpen were both Pro-Bowlers that year.

Defense

Left Defensive End
Brentson Buckner--3 sacks, 0 INTs, 1 FR
Kevin Henry--2 sacks

Isaac Sopoaga--1 sack

Nose Tackle
Joel Steed--1 sack

Aubrayo Franklin--2 sacks, 3 PD, 1 INT

Right Defensive End
Ray Seals--8.5 sacks, 1 INT, 1 FFR

Justin Smith--6 sacks, 1 PD, 2 FF

Ouside Linebackers
Kevin Greene--9 sacks, 1 INT
Greg Lloyd--6.5 sacks, 3 INTs

Manny Lawson--6.5 sacks, 2 PD, 3 FF
Parys Haralson--5 sacks, 2 PD
Ahmad Brooks--6 sacks, 2 PD, 5 FF

Greg Lloyd and Kevin Greene were Pro-Bowlers that year

Inside Linebackers
Levon Kirkland--1 sack, 2 FR
Chad Brown--5.5 sacks

Takeo Spikes--4 sacks, 1 PD
Patrick Willis--4 sacks, 8 PD, 3 INTs (1 for TD), 3 FF

Cornerbacks
Willie Williams--7 INTs, 1 FR
Carnell Lake--1.5 sacks, 1 INT, 1 FR
Alvoid Mays--2 INTs

Nate Clements--7 PD, 1 INT
Dre Bly--1 sack, 13 PD, 3 INT, 2 FF
Shawntae Spencer--10 PD, 2 INT
Tarell Brown--8 PD, 2 INT,

Safeties
Myron Bell-- 2 INTs, 1 FR
Darren Perry--4 INTs, 2 FR

The reason I didn't put tackles in there is because the records for those only go back to 2000. I'd say that this 49er team has as much talent, if not more, than that Steelers team. The biggest difference is the experience of the offensive line and the head coach. This tells me that we're very close to making a deep run into the playoffs.
Originally posted by smileyman:

The reason I didn't put tackles in there is because the records for those only go back to 2000. I'd say that this 49er team has as much talent, if not more, than that Steelers team. The biggest difference is the experience of the offensive line and the head coach. This tells me that we're very close to making a deep run into the playoffs.
and that's a REALLY big difference

and stats don't tell everything, we are close to being a playoff team but we are not there yet..but we are a helluva lot closer with Sing then with anyone we've been with in the past 7 years
[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Jan 5, 2010 at 3:59 PM ]
  • Dreskee
  • Info N/A

Shanahan only 3 losing seasons after Elway was 99 (elways 1st year retired), 07 & 08

Bill Parcells was the head coach for the Pats that year
put the whole singletary deserves another year idea out of your head! I AGREE HE NEEDS ANOTHER YEAR TOO!

But just looking at a team trying to upgrade a position: who wouldn't take cowher, shanahan, marty over sing?
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dreskee:

I knew it didn't sound right when I typed it. good catch!
  • Dreskee
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Dreskee:

I knew it didn't sound right when I typed it. good catch!

Its all good I knew where u were tryna go with that
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by maximill15:
put the whole singletary deserves another year idea out of your head! I AGREE HE NEEDS ANOTHER YEAR TOO!

But just looking at a team trying to upgrade a position: who wouldn't take cowher, shanahan, marty over sing?

Me.

Besides Shanahan is now the HC in Washington, Cowher hasn't said he wants to return to coaching and I was never impressed with Marty.

The reason both Shanahan and Cowher are sought after is because they're proven winners. Look at their overall coaching records...yes, both had great QB's. Most successful NFL coaches do! I was clamoring for Shanahan...then I realized there was no way it was going to happen, so I've backed off. I'm still not convinced Singletary's the guy to take us to the SB...he's still got a lot to learn about being a head coach. On the plus side, he's willing to make changes...something Nolan was really hesitant to do. He's also willing to take certain players under his wing...like Brooks, Rachal, Davis, etc. For me, if Coach is willing to learn from his mistakes and continues to progress as he's asking his players to do, then I'm ok with him. He's got to be willing to walk the walk...if he can do that, then he'll have my support as he likes to say, "going forward". He and McCloughan have a golden opportunity to get the team to the next level...but, it'll take a killer draft and FA period. It's doable...but, they'll have to really work hard at it...very little room for misfires. I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with.
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Didn't he go to a Superbowl with Neil O'Donnel and repeatedly went into the playoffs with Kordell Stewart at QB? Just sayin.

Oh, please don't ask him that question. He's on a roll.

Originally posted by Joecool:
Most coaches do not say that. If Belicheck or the Colts or the Steelers coach is asked this question, I'm sure they would give a definitive answer supporting their QB.

If we had Big Ben, Tom Brady, or Payton manning then Sing would also have a definiative answer.

Cower went to a SB with Neil O'Donnel

If it were not for Shannahan and TD then Elway would be trading horror stories with Marino and Kelly
Share 49ersWebzone