LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

So if not Smith then who?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Here's my two options: I don't like anybody in free agency. Good QBs don't hit the free agent market. Drew Brees was an exception which actually proves the rule. So no to Jason Campbell, Kyle Orton, etc...

1) Trade for a QB, specifically Donovan McNabb. Word out of Philly that this next Dallas game might be his last because Kolb is apparently ready to take over and wants a starting job. Philly has always been disappointed with Donovan and he might need a change of scenary. 33 isn't old in QB years these days either. If Farve can play till he's 40 and Warner till his late 30s, then McNabb can give us at least 3 good years until we develop his replacement (Nate Davis or another draft pick)

Also if Marshall Faulk and Randy Moss and can be traded for 2nd rd pick and a 2nd day pick, I would do it for McNabb.

2) Trade up in the draft. If that means packaging our two 1st rd picks, then do it. I obviously have one QB in mind: Jimmy Claussen who reminds me of Aaron Rodgers.

My preference would be option 1 mainly because McNabb can help us win next season and I like Nate Davis.

And for more dream scenarios (to go along with the McNabb deal), I would trade our second 1st rd pick to Denver for Brandon Marshall, fire Jimmy Raye, hire Jim Zorn to install the WCO (seamless transition for McNabb and Marshall), and draft the best OT with #13.

Discuss

Oh man I love this idea especially since McNabb really likes Nate Davis so he would be a great mentor
There would seem to be 5 places to look for QB alternatives:

1. Develop from within - The club has already invested a 5th round pick in Nate Davis and he has had an unpressured TC and season to absorb the NFL routine. He has had little practice as a QB this season, but, he certainly hasn't disappointed in his few opportubities. Certainly, Davis is NOT an option for the 2010 season, but with some concerted developoment by Mike Johnson, why couldn't he be a viable QB candidate for 2011 in his "Junior" year as a pro? Shaun Hill won't improve, but he is a known and reliable commodity as a back-up.

2. UFA - this bucket looks pretty bleak. I don't see anyone in this category, who would be better than Alex Smith in 2010.

3. Trade or RFA - would require compensation. Green Bay got Farve from Atlanta via this route, likewise Schaub to Houston. Most attractive candidates might be Jason Campbell from the Skins or Trent Edwards (Los Gatos/Stanford) with the Bills. Both are in tumultuous situations with new coaching staffs for 2010. Both have NFL starting experience, good arms, and may have a larger dose of "it", than Alex Smith. Might cost a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I don't have a good feel how to value such a QB in trade. (Farve was acquired from Atlanta by Ron Wolf for a 2nd rounder, back in the day). I certainly would not trade either #1 pick for either Campbell or Edwards. It also might be interesting to take a look at Billy Volek, stuck behind Rivers in San Diego, as a Rich Gannon-type alternative.

4. The CFL/Arena League - don't laugh. Kurt Warner, Warren Moon, Jeff Garcia, Joe Kapp, Stan Brock and others have come through such unconventional channels. I don't know if there might be a viable candidate today in this category, but McCloughan should damn well look under the rock.

5. NFL draft - Bill Walsh noted on several occasions that, whenever possible, he preferred to draft a QB every year in the NFL draft, for developmental and insurance purposes. Usually in the latter rounds. One could well argue that the Niners have already chosen to invest their developmental resources in Nate Davis. I don't see the Niners buring a Day 1 pick (Rounds 1 and 2) on a QB in 2010. Even one of the big names would still be an NFL "True Freshman" in 2010 and likely provide no immediate competition for Alex Smith. Such a pick would really be competition only for Nate Davis, as clip-board holder in 2010.
[ Edited by jimbagg on Jan 5, 2010 at 10:15 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Digger25:
Here's my two options: I don't like anybody in free agency. Good QBs don't hit the free agent market. Drew Brees was an exception which actually proves the rule. So no to Jason Campbell, Kyle Orton, etc...

1) Trade for a QB, specifically Donovan McNabb. Word out of Philly that this next Dallas game might be his last because Kolb is apparently ready to take over and wants a starting job. Philly has always been disappointed with Donovan and he might need a change of scenary. 33 isn't old in QB years these days either. If Farve can play till he's 40 and Warner till his late 30s, then McNabb can give us at least 3 good years until we develop his replacement (Nate Davis or another draft pick)

Also if Marshall Faulk and Randy Moss and can be traded for 2nd rd pick and a 2nd day pick, I would do it for McNabb.

2) Trade up in the draft. If that means packaging our two 1st rd picks, then do it. I obviously have one QB in mind: Jimmy Claussen who reminds me of Aaron Rodgers.

My preference would be option 1 mainly because McNabb can help us win next season and I like Nate Davis.

And for more dream scenarios (to go along with the McNabb deal), I would trade our second 1st rd pick to Denver for Brandon Marshall, fire Jimmy Raye, hire Jim Zorn to install the WCO (seamless transition for McNabb and Marshall), and draft the best OT with #13.

Discuss

sessy options! but highly unlikely. remember who is running things at 4949 centennial road.

Those are interesting but you have to remember this is the modern day 49ers, and they dont make bold moves like that.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

Discuss

Oh man I love this idea especially since McNabb really likes Nate Davis so he would be a great mentor

Hard to believe that McNabb would be available via trade, but if so, I would also endorse this idea.

As for Clausen, Marshall, Zorn - not so much.
This is a good thread, not too many responses from the Smith haters who seem to have the answers for everything, but once we grab some talented lineman to shore up LG and RT, then this offense will improve dramatically and then Smith will be a much more effective QB

Once we shore up the offensive line, I hope we add a couple more playmakers for the offense, another WR to help take pressure off Crabtree and Davis would do wonders for our offense, Morgan is a decent WR, but another homerun hitter would make this offense dangerous once again, plus by adding another RB with breakaway speed to replace Mrob would make our team much more dangerous, MRob is a decent special teams player, but we need a RB to strike fear into a defense and be ready to roll if Gore is injured, Coffee is a decent RB, but I'm not sold on him yet and I'd like to grab a speedy RB in the draft or through free agency
  • dj43
A critical component of this discussion is the role of the receivers.

Let me state initially that there are NO QBs coming out of college that look to be pro-ready for next season. Also, there are no FAs that will be available that will be any better than Smith performed this season - just go look at the lists and their stats.

So let's talk about the receivers: In addition to ALL of them being young and inexperienced, Crabtree didn't even have a training camp, though he did take advantage of the two weeks during the bye to pick up enough stuff to be modestly effective. What this means it that if the team makes a switch at QB for next year, EVERYONE will have to start from ZERO to gain the familiarity required for a passing game to be effective.

I cannot begin to recount the number of times I saw inconsistent routes run by the young receivers, how many times the route was 2 or 3 yards short of the first down marker, how many times hot reads were seemingly missed completely. All of this was despite the fact the routes that WERE asked to be run were just basic high school pablum-type stuff.

It is not just for the benefit of Alex Smith that Jimmy Raye be maintained, it is for the benefit of the receivers AND Alex Smith AND Jimmy Raye AND the 49er passing game that they not go off looking for pie-in-the-sky somewhere and ignore the critical importance that the QB and the receivers have a full understanding between themselves. I recall times when Montana and Rice spent an extra hour every day after practice when Rice first came into the league, just to accomplish what I have just noted.

This is no time to make another change, especially when there is little prospect of a change even being possible. For the benefit of these young receivers, things need to stay the same.
Getting McNabb would be nice. I'm not sure how well he would do with Singletary's philosophy and Raye's predictable offense.

So, if the Niners are not going to utilize McNabb properly, then is it worth it to trade for him?
Originally posted by swim4speed:
Getting McNabb would be nice. I'm not sure how well he would do with Singletary's philosophy and Raye's predictable offense.

So, if the Niners are not going to utilize McNabb properly, then is it worth it to trade for him?

Let's say the 9ers trade for McNabb and give up a 2nd round pick. What do you do with Alex Smith? The organization would be stupid to release him but to have him as a backup for the entire year and let him go via free agency seems crazy as well. Especially after he had a pretty good 11 games this last year. I think the organization is worried if he goes to another team and continues to improve and develop into a top 10-15 QB in the league which could happen seeing how he has improved in the past.
Originally posted by BobS:
While not impressed with Smith I believe the draft picks should be used to shore up the O-line, find a quick db, and a return man. Fix those first, and see what happens, than evaluate the QB spot after 2010.

You got it! That's exactly what we need to do. Smith already proved he is at least middle of the road as a QB and with another year in the SAME SYSTEM... Should do even better. We need more help on the O-Line, Return Game and we need a speedy CB. Those to me are our most Glaring needs. I'd like to also see a fast safety in the mix.
The lovechild of Joe Montana's sister and Steve Young.

Originally posted by valrod33:
Tom Brady

Peyton Manning FTW - makes everyone look good, look at Austin Collie
who??? Austin who? exactly just watch him, Peyton definitely gonna be one of the greatest......
  • dj43
Originally posted by jimbagg:
There would seem to be 5 places to look for QB alternatives:

1. Develop from within - The club has already invested a 5th round pick in Nate Davis and he has had an unpressured TC and season to absorb the NFL routine. He has had little practice as a QB this season, but, he certainly hasn't disappointed in his few opportubities. Certainly, Davis is NOT an option for the 2010 season, but with some concerted developoment by Mike Johnson, why couldn't he be a viable QB candidate for 2011 in his "Junior" year as a pro? Shaun Hill won't improve, but he is a known and reliable commodity as a back-up.

2. UFA - this bucket looks pretty bleak. I don't see anyone in this category, who would be better than Alex Smith in 2010.

3. Trade or RFA - would require compensation. Green Bay got Farve from Atlanta via this route, likewise Schaub to Houston. Most attractive candidates might be Jason Campbell from the Skins or Trent Edwards (Los Gatos/Stanford) with the Bills. Both are in tumultuous situations with new coaching staffs for 2010. Both have NFL starting experience, good arms, and may have a larger dose of "it", than Alex Smith. Might cost a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I don't have a good feel how to value such a QB in trade. (Farve was acquired from Atlanta by Ron Wolf for a 2nd rounder, back in the day). I certainly would not trade either #1 pick for either Campbell or Edwards. It also might be interesting to take a look at Billy Volek, stuck behind Rivers in San Diego, as a Rich Gannon-type alternative.

4. The CFL/Arena League - don't laugh. Kurt Warner, Warren Moon, Jeff Garcia, Joe Kapp, Stan Brock and others have come through such unconventional channels. I don't know if there might be a viable candidate today in this category, but McCloughan should damn well look under the rock.

5. NFL draft - Bill Walsh noted on several occasions that, whenever possible, he preferred to draft a QB every year in the NFL draft, for developmental and insurance purposes. Usually in the latter rounds. One could well argue that the Niners have already chosen to invest their developmental resources in Nate Davis. I don't see the Niners buring a Day 1 pick (Rounds 1 and 2) on a QB in 2010. Even one of the big names would still be an NFL "True Freshman" in 2010 and likely provide no immediate competition for Alex Smith. Such a pick would really be competition only for Nate Davis, as clip-board holder in 2010.
Nice work. Good analsis!

I like #1 and #5. Though you never know what might pop up, I don't see anything of value coming from the other 3 although I know little of arena league-type players.
Originally posted by Overkill:
I don't believe has proven he's "the man", but that doesn't mean I think we have to add a QB this year, necessarily. Alex may not have proven he's the longterm answer, but he hasn't ruled himself out, either. So we need to be smart. No desperate FA signings and no reaches in the draft.

I don't see anybody in FA that I would sign and name starter over Smith right now. I could see bringing somebody in, but they would have to understand Smith is the starter until he proves he shouldn't be. That will limit our FA options, but we're not desperate.

In the draft, I would definitely take Clausen and maybe Bradford if they fell to our second first round pick (not likely but you never know). Having Alex means we don't have to start whoever we draft right away. Having two 1st round picks means we can address a huge need (OT) at 13 without it costing us the opportunity to go BPA at 17.

If we don't add another QB to the roster and Smith doesn't work out, than I hope Davis steps up. But I think that just means we'll be targeting a QB next offseason.

Yes, and I want a pony in the back yard.
Originally posted by dj43:
A critical component of this discussion is the role of the receivers.

Let me state initially that there are NO QBs coming out of college that look to be pro-ready for next season. Also, there are no FAs that will be available that will be any better than Smith performed this season - just go look at the lists and their stats.

So let's talk about the receivers: In addition to ALL of them being young and inexperienced, Crabtree didn't even have a training camp, though he did take advantage of the two weeks during the bye to pick up enough stuff to be modestly effective. What this means it that if the team makes a switch at QB for next year, EVERYONE will have to start from ZERO to gain the familiarity required for a passing game to be effective.

I cannot begin to recount the number of times I saw inconsistent routes run by the young receivers, how many times the route was 2 or 3 yards short of the first down marker, how many times hot reads were seemingly missed completely. All of this was despite the fact the routes that WERE asked to be run were just basic high school pablum-type stuff.

It is not just for the benefit of Alex Smith that Jimmy Raye be maintained, it is for the benefit of the receivers AND Alex Smith AND Jimmy Raye AND the 49er passing game that they not go off looking for pie-in-the-sky somewhere and ignore the critical importance that the QB and the receivers have a full understanding between themselves. I recall times when Montana and Rice spent an extra hour every day after practice when Rice first came into the league, just to accomplish what I have just noted.

This is no time to make another change, especially when there is little prospect of a change even being possible. For the benefit of these young receivers, things need to stay the same.

Sanguine comments, as always, from you. I won't argue against improving the OL and developing the young WR's, as being very high priorities.

My perspective on the QB issue is from McCloughan's point-of-view. His job is to stock the talent shelves and present alternatives and player insurance for the coaching staff. The coaching staff can then decide who "gives the team the best chance to win next Sunday".

I don't think that McCloughan can stand pat on the QB front during this off-season. What happens if Smith's progress stalls or he is injured again? Hill is a capable back-up for a game or two, but it would be unlikely that he could QB a playoff-caliber team for an extended period. Davis simply won't be ready for 2010. So, it seems to me that McCloughan has to again bring in a Brock Huard-type veteran, at a minimum, to fulfill his GM job description. I'm hoping that McCloughan can do even better. Standing pat and taking no new cards for 2010 at the QB position, does not seem to be a wise strategy to me.
HOW'S ABOUT A BETTER FU*KING OLINE , HUH?!!

HOW'S ABOUT THAT?!!!!!!

EVERY FU*KING YEAR!!!!

THE SAME DAMN PROBLEM!!!

Share 49ersWebzone