There are 215 users in the forums

Alex Smith's 16 game 2009 season stats

Shop Find 49ers gear online
had Smith played a full 16 game season at the level he played this season, his stats would like look this:

327/541 for 3,419 yds and 26 TD's with 17 ints

still obviously an 81.5 QB rating and 60.5% comp%

those passing yards are only about 100 less than Donovan McNabb's season, and are 400 yds more than Carson Palmer haf this year.

the 26 TD passes he was on pace for, wouldve been good for 10th in the NFL, tied with Ben Roethlisberger, Tony Romo, and Kurt Warner.

also the 327 completions wouldve been better than Philip Rivers, and around the 10th-12th best in the league.

this thread isnt meant to be pro or anti Smith, i was curious to see what he was on pace for in a 16 game season, and see how it stacked up against the rest of the NFL. remove his 2 worst games vs AZ and @PHI back to back, his QB rating wouldve been almost 90.0.

im just saying, maybe its time to let go of the number 1 overall disappointment/anger and see what happens. when a full season projection of what you did in 11 games equates to guys like McNabb and Carson Palmer, maybe you should be a bit less critical.
Well, its the final year under Mr.Smith in 2010 and he has to get us into the play-offs next year.
Originally posted by Niners99:
had Smith played a full 16 game season at the level he played this season, his stats would like look this:

those passing yards are only about 100 less than Donovan McNabb's season, and are 400 yds more than Carson Palmer haf this year.

the 26 TD passes he was on pace for, wouldve been good for 10th in the NFL, tied with Ben Roethlisberger, Tony Romo, and Kurt Warner.

also the 327 completions wouldve been better than Philip Rivers, and around the 10th-12th best in the league.

this thread isnt meant to be pro or anti Smith, i was curious to see what he was on pace for in a 16 game season, and see how it stacked up against the rest of the NFL. remove his 2 worst games vs AZ and @PHI back to back, his QB rating wouldve been almost 90.0.

im just saying, maybe its time to let go of the number 1 overall disappointment/anger and see what happens. when a full season projection of what you did in 11 games equates to guys like McNabb and Carson Palmer, maybe you should be a bit less critical.

You seriously think 9er talk will let go of this "Alex Smith is horrible" talk? I doubt it. I think 9erland is stuck with the pro and anti Smith camps forever.

Reminds me a lot of when you see a new 9er fan and ask them who did you like better Young or Montana? I hate that conversation. Doesn't happen as much as it did but still I remember from 90-93 that being the debate of the time.
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:
Well, its the final year under Mr.Smith in 2010 and he has to get us into the play-offs next year.

i agree, 2010 is Smith's do-or-die season. maybe it should be, maybe not, but either way, it will be.

honestly though i dont think he has to take us to the playoffs to keep his job. our team is set up for the D to take us, and the offense to put 24 some pts on the board every week.

if Smith has a much improved season, and shows he can make more leaps to being a better QB, i think he stays. he was about the 18 or 19th best QB this season, but it really could be alot worse. i think he needs to step up to the 10-15 range at worst to be worth holding on to, but i think he can manage that.
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:

i agree, 2010 is Smith's do-or-die season. maybe it should be, maybe not, but either way, it will be.

honestly though i dont think he has to take us to the playoffs to keep his job. our team is set up for the D to take us, and the offense to put 24 some pts on the board every week.

if Smith has a much improved season, and shows he can make more leaps to being a better QB, i think he stays. he was about the 18 or 19th best QB this season, but it really could be alot worse. i think he needs to step up to the 10-15 range at worst to be worth holding on to, but i think he can manage that.

I think if Smith is in the top 15 QBs there is no way the 9ers let him go even if the team doesn't make the playoffs. Letting Smith go in that situation is like the Dallas Cowboys letting Tony Romo go in any of the last three plus seasons that they didn't make the playoffs or did worse than the fans expected.
When Alex Smith was drafted I don't believe anybody believed he was going to be a superstar in this league. The position was a must need for the 49ers at the time. I think next year he will show to be a solid QB, and if he keeps his mistakes down will be enough to win and make it to the playoffs. But its not all on him, there needs to be an improved line and a more mature receiving core next year as well.

hell No , he is not consistant enough to get an avrage. He can put up stinkers in there !
Originally posted by tmg808:
When Alex Smith was drafted I don't believe anybody believed he was going to be a superstar in this league. The position was a must need for the 49ers at the time. I think next year he will show to be a solid QB, and if he keeps his mistakes down will be enough to win and make it to the playoffs. But its not all on him, there needs to be an improved line and a more mature receiving core next year as well.

bull crap , you get 1st round first pick , he is a solid starter look at last years pick he put up better numbers and had worse team around him !

Originally posted by xx49erfanxx:

When he proves he can be a big game QB and bail his team out when he needs to, I'll stop busting his balls.

Otherwise this is all just fantasy football stat fodder.

One big one that you left out is that we would still be 8-8. So.....
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
When he proves he can be a big game QB and bail his team out when he needs to, I'll stop busting his balls.

I'm guessing then you would bash Tony Romo and other young QBs who haven't done that either?
Originally posted by taney71:

I'm guessing then you would bash Tony Romo and other young QBs who haven't done that either?

If these other young QBs were the #1 pick in a draft - Yes. Tony Romo is not - but I'd also be critical of him at a different level. He has proved he can take his team to the playoffs but needs to get to the next level which is take his team deep into the playoffs and the SB.

Alex Smith has made progress that we should all expect him to make. Where he has not made progress in, is perform at even an adequate level when the stakes are high.

Maybe the "bust" label is no longer deserved but the "choke" label is getting off to a good start. He's got 2010 to disprove this.
Originally posted by taney71:

Are you talking about the same Tony Romo who has 9 games this year with a passer rate over 100? The one who killed the Eagles last week?
Share 49ersWebzone