There are 120 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why was Sing hired in the first place?

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
Because the 49er front office is a joke and the owners are dumb. This is the only franchise in the league that would have made him a head coach after squeaking out some games against cellar dwellers at end of '08 season.

This
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by tommyncal:
Originally posted by sacniner:
It was the obvious choice. He took over and it was clear the team was playing a lot harder for him. He kicked VD off the field, brought some authority and credibility. York had to hire him, if not he would of got railed on by fans and media (unless he got a Shanahan or Holmgren type). Sing deserves another year also.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Can't really blame York for sticking with Sing.

No hindsight involved for me. I didn't like the hire from the start. And I'm not saying Sing did a bad job this year, although he didn't do a good job either. I'm looking more at the long term outlook. They played harder for him than Nolan; not a good enough reason to hire him. Most qualified HC's bring authority and credibility. Railed by the fans? Only shows York is unsure of himself and his inexperience. I'm tired of waiting year after year. Just puts the niners another year behind.

lol you were the guy that said "why did we hire this Bill Walsh guy....ever since he came hes putting all this blind faith in that Montana kid from Notre Dame. he doesnt have the arm. this isnt working, hes been here 2 years now and hes 8-24. bad hire."

FAIL.

have some patience, Dennis Erickson had plenty of coaching experience at all levels, and he was horrible. Mike Nolan had been a very successful position coach as well as D-Coor. he was horrible too. experience doesnt mean anything, its results. Sing got immediate results from this team that Nolan couldnt get. with time, he will get things going.

i cant beleive after a whole season of seeing this team go from defensive mediocrity to defensive dominance, top 5 in sacks, 1st in the NFL in forced fumbles, top 5 rush D, etc, and and offense that produced 2 of the best pass catching weapons weve seen since T.O., that people calling Sing a bad coach.

anyone remember 2003-2008 mid season? i do. this team is WAY better. this is the most talented, disciplined, team oriented 49ers ive seen since Steve Mariucci was the coach.

Great post

QFT
Originally posted by GameOver:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by tommyncal:
Originally posted by sacniner:
It was the obvious choice. He took over and it was clear the team was playing a lot harder for him. He kicked VD off the field, brought some authority and credibility. York had to hire him, if not he would of got railed on by fans and media (unless he got a Shanahan or Holmgren type). Sing deserves another year also.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Can't really blame York for sticking with Sing.

No hindsight involved for me. I didn't like the hire from the start. And I'm not saying Sing did a bad job this year, although he didn't do a good job either. I'm looking more at the long term outlook. They played harder for him than Nolan; not a good enough reason to hire him. Most qualified HC's bring authority and credibility. Railed by the fans? Only shows York is unsure of himself and his inexperience. I'm tired of waiting year after year. Just puts the niners another year behind.

lol you were the guy that said "why did we hire this Bill Walsh guy....ever since he came hes putting all this blind faith in that Montana kid from Notre Dame. he doesnt have the arm. this isnt working, hes been here 2 years now and hes 8-24. bad hire."

FAIL.

have some patience, Dennis Erickson had plenty of coaching experience at all levels, and he was horrible. Mike Nolan had been a very successful position coach as well as D-Coor. he was horrible too. experience doesnt mean anything, its results. Sing got immediate results from this team that Nolan couldnt get. with time, he will get things going.

i cant beleive after a whole season of seeing this team go from defensive mediocrity to defensive dominance, top 5 in sacks, 1st in the NFL in forced fumbles, top 5 rush D, etc, and and offense that produced 2 of the best pass catching weapons weve seen since T.O., that people calling Sing a bad coach.

anyone remember 2003-2008 mid season? i do. this team is WAY better. this is the most talented, disciplined, team oriented 49ers ive seen since Steve Mariucci was the coach.

Great post

QFT

three reasons:

1 coach nolan hand picked sing
2 faith. when the ownership prayed with sing. it felt like the lord spoke thru sing when he raised his cross and spoke
3 value. who else will work for minimum?

nuff
Originally posted by jed_york:
three reasons:

1 coach nolan hand picked sing
2 faith. when the ownership prayed with sing. it felt like the lord spoke thru sing when he raised his cross and spoke
3 value. who else will work for minimum?

nuff

Also internal hire. Don't have to expand hiring field and really work to find the right one (easy way out).
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 17,062
Brand Management.

Singletary is a brand of the 49ers that they can market to drive fans to the games, and he's interconnected with the players on the team:

Frank Gore: Smash Mouth Football

Vernon Davis: Revitalization

Patrick Willis: Hit You in the Mouth

Takeo Spikes: I Want Winners

---

The problem with the 49ers is that they are suckered into instant gratification rather than long term sustainability. The 49ers saw improvement under Singletary's interm roll and saw a huge marketing opportunity to create buzz for the team. And they invested in the gamble...and they are currently losing horribly.
cuz his players respected him i guess, but u have some scary points
Originally posted by excelsior:
The bigger problem here is the Yorks. Why do they seem to make their desparate moves at a bad time? Fire Nolan in mid-season. Let McLoughan go just before the draft. Change OC in midseason. This is not the mark of an intelligent organization that knows what is going on. If it did, it would proactively make its moves at the end of a season. Instead, they ignore the warning signs, then pull the trigger when their bone-headed mistake disgracefully hits them over the head.

Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by excelsior:
The bigger problem here is the Yorks. Why do they seem to make their desparate moves at a bad time? Fire Nolan in mid-season. Let McLoughan go just before the draft. Change OC in midseason. This is not the mark of an intelligent organization that knows what is going on. If it did, it would proactively make its moves at the end of a season. Instead, they ignore the warning signs, then pull the trigger when their bone-headed mistake disgracefully hits them over the head.


Yup. That's the Yorks. And it's why we continue to suck.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by excelsior:
The bigger problem here is the Yorks. Why do they seem to make their desparate moves at a bad time? Fire Nolan in mid-season. Let McLoughan go just before the draft. Change OC in midseason. This is not the mark of an intelligent organization that knows what is going on. If it did, it would proactively make its moves at the end of a season. Instead, they ignore the warning signs, then pull the trigger when their bone-headed mistake disgracefully hits them over the head.


Yup. That's the Yorks. And it's why we continue to suck.

The poster is calling out others in multiple threads Diego. Just making people aware of that fact.
With the owners we have , the 49ers cannot get any big name coaches to coach here anymore . This may be Sings last year here coaching , and I guess once again we will have to grab a no named coach again , the big name coaches will avoid this team as if it is a cancer . And plus the Yorks will not fork out the $$$$$ for a great coach either.
[ Edited by xx49erfanxx on Sep 27, 2010 at 5:25 PM ]
Originally posted by sacniner:
It was the obvious choice. He took over and it was clear the team was playing a lot harder for him. He kicked VD off the field, brought some authority and credibility. York had to hire him, if not he would of got railed on by fans and media (unless he got a Shanahan or Holmgren type). Sing deserves another year also.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Can't really blame York for sticking with Sing.

It wasn't the obvious choice nor is York without fault.

The move raised eyebrows because there was already an assistant coach on the staff with NFL head coaching experience when Nolan was canned.

Mike Martz was our OC... a winning NFL head coach who had coached a team to the Super Bowl as HC and had a ring as an assitant coach.

We went with the guy loyal to Nolan not much different from Nolan with zero experience at any level as a head coach and only minimal experience as any sort of assistant.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by sacniner:
It was the obvious choice. He took over and it was clear the team was playing a lot harder for him. He kicked VD off the field, brought some authority and credibility. York had to hire him, if not he would of got railed on by fans and media (unless he got a Shanahan or Holmgren type). Sing deserves another year also.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Can't really blame York for sticking with Sing.

It wasn't the obvious choice nor is York without fault.

The move raised eyebrows because there was already an assistant coach on the staff with NFL head coaching experience when Nolan was canned.

Mike Martz was our OC... a winning NFL head coach who had coached a team to the Super Bowl as HC and had a ring as an assitant coach.

We went with the guy loyal to Nolan not much different from Nolan with zero experience at any level as a head coach and only minimal experience as any sort of assistant.

but that guy were hand picked by nolan and willing to work for minimum wage. nuff?
Originally posted by xx49erfanxx:
With the owners we have , the 49ers cannot get any big name coaches to coach here anymore . This may be Sings last year here coaching , and I guess once again we will have to grab a no named coach again , the big name coaches will avoid this team as if it is a cancer . And plus the Yorks will not fork out the $$$$$ for a great coach either.

And you know all this how?
he was louder than everyone else
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home