There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Move David Baas to center

Originally posted by prometheus:
I for one do not think Heitmann sucks but Baas is IMO a better drive blocker and as Plummer showed in Gore's big runs, it was his blocks that made the runs and as I recall at one time Baas was mauling guys at the right guard spot. I think injuries had a lot to do with his play but when healthy, he is a good player. To infer that Baas is a nobody just to boost Heitmann who is a good player makes me think that I prefer my own opinions then listen to pompous popoffs. I don't think Baas being better in one area makes Heitmann lousy but to say Baas sucks because Heitmann is your claim to fame is nonsense. Rachal is the guy who seems klutzy. He is a strong run blocker but he runs stiff legged and almost immobile side to side. I think that leads to a lot of problems with pass blocking. I thought it a bit odd that Wragge could not beat Rachal out last year. De La Puente may replace him if Rachal can't improve. I think Boone could do better then Rachal. I find it amusing that Boone may be too good to be put in at guard now after his first impression as a rookie but he just may be needed too much as a tackle. I think Boone showed he could play with the ones as if it is some law that it is the one and only true test of competence.
We saw Boone look good as a socalled noob against scrubs so was worthless but now he is deemed left tackle worthy and looked good doing it.

The O-line didn't play that great yesterday but Baas and Wragge were solid at center and IMO have already shown they are better drive blockers than Heitmann.
I say move Heitmann to RG if Rachal can't pull it together by the time he gets healthy. Having Heitmann next to Davis would undoubtedly help him develop his technique. I was very impressed by Baas last night, and RFJ for that matter.
Originally posted by Shorteous:
I say move Heitmann to RG if Rachal can't pull it together by the time he gets healthy. Having Heitmann next to Davis would undoubtedly help him develop his technique. I was very impressed by Baas last night, and RFJ for that matter.

Heitmann would be even worse at RG where u really need a big, strong, drive blocker. At least at Center, he does a good job of making the line calls and a decent job of reading blitzes. I do have a feeling though that Baas will end up starting either at C or RG before the year is over on a full time basis.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:

Heitmann would be even worse at RG where u really need a big, strong, drive blocker. At least at Center, he does a good job of making the line calls and a decent job of reading blitzes. I do have a feeling though that Baas will end up starting either at C or RG before the year is over on a full time basis.

Heitmann was originally at guard and doing a pretty good job there until he was moved inside to Center because of injuries to some other guys I can't remember...Dalman, Newberry?
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Heitmann was originally at guard and doing a pretty good job there until he was moved inside to Center because of injuries to some other guys I can't remember...Dalman, Newberry?

Newberry
Everyone thinks Baas did great but I saw some plays that were obvious he made the wrong protection call that resulted in an unblocked or nearly unblocked guy pressuring the QB. If I notice that, then it's REALLY obvious and that scares me.

I will say this though, I expected a couple of fumbled snaps based on the TC reports. I was very pleased not to see any of those.
I have to say he did a pretty good job as far as I could tell.
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Everyone thinks Baas did great but I saw some plays that were obvious he made the wrong protection call that resulted in an unblocked or nearly unblocked guy pressuring the QB. If I notice that, then it's REALLY obvious and that scares me.

I will say this though, I expected a couple of fumbled snaps based on the TC reports. I was very pleased not to see any of those.

It was his first NFL career start at center, he wasn't going to be perfect. Overall I thought he played pretty well though.

It was his first NFL career start at center, he wasn't going to be perfect. Overall I thought he played pretty well though.

I'm not expecting him to be perfect. I just think the praise he's getting (see this thread + Tim K's blog) is unwarranted. He did do better than I expected but I'm still concerned for the regular season.

I'm not expecting him to be perfect. I just think the praise he's getting (see this thread + Tim K's blog) is unwarranted. He did do better than I expected but I'm still concerned for the regular season.

A couple more games in the pre-season and he should be fine, though opening AT Seattle will be tough for him and the whole O-Line as we know how loud that stadium can get.

A couple more games in the pre-season and he should be fine, though opening AT Seattle will be tough for him and the whole O-Line as we know how loud that stadium can get.

I hope you're right about the first part and wrong about the second.

Its projected adulation, after playing through preseason we should hopefully see a negligible difference with him at center. He's not going to the pro bowl from yesterdays performance but we know he can play the position with out it being a liability. Also if you go to MRobs Touchdown, you'll see why he got in. Baas was like a torpedo, laying a path through the colts defense.
Week one Heitman or Chilo should not be starters.
It seemed as though Baas didn't see the stunt coming but with the OL, especially the Guards and Tackle, it's difficult to see who is supposed to block who.

As for Run-Blocking: I loved it!!!! These guys were getting good 2 yard pushes.

Honestly, to this team, run blocking is more important than pass blocking as Gore is the key.
Originally posted by Joecool:
It seemed as though Baas didn't see the stunt coming but with the OL, especially the Guards and Tackle, it's difficult to see who is supposed to block who.

As for Run-Blocking: I loved it!!!! These guys were getting good 2 yard pushes.

Honestly, to this team, run blocking is more important than pass blocking as Gore is the key.

Something Heitmann has not really been able to do since his leg injury in 06.