LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

Let's Play predict next years record...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BrodieWins:
[quote=VA49er
Wait. So we need to get wide receivers and running backs to compete? You can't be serious.

Let me clarify...we need more at RB that Gore/Coffee/Robinson. None have the speed necessary to get to and turn the edge. All of the Walsh teams had that.
Defenses load up on us because we can't run wide on them. If we add a fast HB that can also do the Punt Returns that would be a big win. FA or draft don't care...just a need.

Also we need more speed at WR. Do you remember the Ravens comment that they were surprised we didn't play Ashlie Lelie the year before? That kind of speed at WR stretches the field vertically. Combined with Vernon Davis that woud force safeties out of the box to handle the speed. Brandon Jones may be the answer here but this is a definite need to open the field up.

Both of these needs fall behind the OL and pass defense/pass rush.

I remember after the 1981 Championship game Tom Landry was asked how the 49ers could beat the Cowboys. He said the 49ers team speed was more that his team could keep up with and it lasted all 4 quarters.
I'll give you a speed back. I don't know why we cut that kid this year and kept MROB because of his special teams abilities (see my rant and delight over Al Everest's firing.) It's a shame to have to go back to the draft for this. A CJ spiller type guy who could return punts and run the ball would be great.

I don't think we need a "burner" at wide-out. We have guys with 4.3 speed in Hill and Jones but they don't seem to help. Crabs and Morgan should be capable of stretching the field. I'd like to see some more deep balls to Morgan because he has the speed/size to make a difference. We should only take a wide-out if he can be a threat in the punt return game. I see you acknowledge that we at least have speed on the team. I've also notice Crabby is pretty crafty at getting deep. He would have had two huge TDs if Alex would have thrown the ball correctly in our last two games. We may never know his 40 time but it won't matter he can run by people.
Originally posted by olapac:
Originally posted by VA49er:
2010 Opponents
Home: Arizona, St. Louis, Seattle, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Denver, Oakland, Philadelphia
Away: Arizona, St. Louis, Seattle, Atlanta, Carolina, Kansas City, San Diego, Green Bay

I'll say sweep the division. Beat TB, Beat Denver (oh how I hope we beat nolan), Beat Oakland, Beat KC. That's 10 Wins. Hooray!!!

Also Carolina and Atlanta are swing games. Maybe we win.

Definitely too early, but I am intrigued by this

I was reviewing the schedule a few days ago, and kept counting 7 games that as everything stands now, we should win next year (2x Seattle and St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Oakland, KC). I see 5 tossups (2x Arizona, Atlanta, Carolina and Denver, although I feel the Denver game is one we should win). And if Kurt Warner retires, I feel like we could move at least the home game against Arizona into the win column.

Essentially, I see 9 wins (7 + Ari @ home, Denver) before we even try the heavyweights on the schedule. I say we sneak up on the Eagles or Packers, and get to 10. If Carolina or Atlanta struggle again, maybe 11.

Final guess, 9-7 at the minimum. 10-6 more likely.

I doubt Kurt will retire. Unless they wine the SB.
8-8 or 9-7 again, and probably miss the playoffs. It looks as though there won't be any big roster changes, and I bet the draft will suprise us again, hence no drafting OL or pass rusher...
9-7 or 10-6.

The niners might pull off a six game winning streak in the middle of the season.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Chico:
Let's predict this thread gets locked

is it just me or does no one know that Nolan isn't on Denver anymore... surprised no one has mentioned that
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
9-7 maybe 10-6 if we get some lucky breaks.
Originally posted by frosty8725:
is it just me or does no one know that Nolan isn't on Denver anymore... surprised no one has mentioned that

i was just about to say it until i say your post...hes in miami
I will go on record and say this season's verson of the NINERS will go 11-5. If Alex is abe to minimize the mistakes and the running game is as coach Singletary envisions, then 11-5 should be attainable with this defense that we have. GO NINERS!

Share 49ersWebzone