LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

3rd Down Offense - 6 Awful Years

Shop Find 49ers gear online
In 2000-2003 the Niners were 10th, 3rd, FIRST, and 10th in the NFL in 3rd down conversion percentage. ...but they were all deeply flawed teams that flamed out in the playoffs in 02-03.

Since then we've seen even more deeply flawed teams that ranked 27th, 32nd, 26th, 32nd, 20th, and 30th in 3rd down offense. This year, 2009, was the worst since 2005. In 2005 the historically bad Niners converted only 24% of 3rd downs. This year -- only 30%.

How the heck did the Niners go 8-8?
defense and productive plays on earlier downs.
Originally posted by RichnSanRamon:
In 2000-2003 the Niners were 10th, 3rd, FIRST, and 10th in the NFL in 3rd down conversion percentage. ...but they were all deeply flawed teams that flamed out in the playoffs in 02-03.

Since then we've seen even more deeply flawed teams that ranked 27th, 32nd, 26th, 32nd, 20th, and 30th in 3rd down offense. This year, 2009, was the worst since 2005. In 2005 the historically bad Niners converted only 24% of 3rd downs. This year -- only 30%.

Opponents scored less than we did.
Originally posted by confusedrhino:

Opponents scored less than we did.

haha, that math trumps all the statistical analysis.

Do you notice the link here? Its all continuity on offense. Pre 2003 same OC post 2003 6 different OC`s. Its not the players fault they havent got to gel. Just when they start to get a system its ripped from them and they are forced to start over. If you dont know the plays in and out you wont be consistant on 3rd downs. I dont care who you have playing for you!
Originally posted by MadMartz:

Do you notice the link here? Its all continuity on offense. Pre 2003 same OC post 2003 6 different OC`s. Its not the players fault they havent got to gel. Just when they start to get a system its ripped from them and they are forced to start over. If you dont know the plays in and out you wont be consistant on 3rd downs. I dont care who you have playing for you!

Malarkey. What we need here is a change at OC. Maybe at QB too. Maybe we should take a look at Jim Zorn. He's available now that Washington has fired him, AND he runs the WCO (insert sounds of thunder & lightning).

What do you guys think?

Its a tricky problem for which causality is difficult to determine definitively. However, seeing as how we've been so miserable with our OC revolving door, I am willing to sacrifice one year in the hope that continuity really is the answer. Also, I am quietly optimistic about Johnson taking over for Raye in 2011 (especially since he has spent off seasons studying the spread, and specifically how to run out of the spread, from college coaches) and I do not want to jeopardize that just yet.

However, if 2010 is reminiscent of 2009 it will be tempting to blow up the offense (entire coaching staff, QB, OL) and start over.
^^^^^^^^^

Funny guy!
^^^^^^^^^

Funny guy!

Did I mention he's from the Bill Walsh coaching tree?

THANK YOU EVERYBODY I'M HERE ALL WEEK!
[ Edited by baltien on Jan 4, 2010 at 8:38 PM ]
By the grace of God! Thats how we went 8-8 with that crappy 3rd down efficiency!

Originally posted by baltien:
^^^^^^^^^

Funny guy!

Did I mention he's from the Bill Walsh coaching tree?

THANK YOU EVERYBODY I'M HERE ALL WEEK!

That is why I have my doubts in Jimmy Raye. We didnt improve on 3rd down as the season progressed.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
That is why I have my doubts in Jimmy Raye. We didnt improve on 3rd down as the season progressed.

true i think the o line and playcalling was a lot to blame on third down hopefully both will be fixed in offseason
  • BobS
  • Veteran
8-8 is thanks to winning the turnover margin by a huge gap in a lot of those games.
For some reason on third and more than six, we throw passes shorter than the necessary yardage. Our receivers don't really get too much YAC. It is frustrating as hell. Reminds me of listening to Madden back in the day, he hated that.
Share 49ersWebzone