LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

CAN BUST FINALLY BE REMOVED?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

CAN BUST FINALLY BE REMOVED?

This thread is almost as exciting as our offense.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
This thread is almost as exciting as our offense.

I bet, why cause it didnt turn into a Smith hate thread. lol
Vernon - YES
Manny - YES
Alex - Its complicated, and still debatable
Originally posted by danimal:
Vernon - YES
Manny - YES

I don't think I would call Alex an outright bust at this point. It's still debatable how could he can become or not. But guys who get kicked out of the league, take drugs, get arrested and absolutely can't play after a few short years are busts (RYAN LEAF).

Alex came back after 2 years of shoulder surgeries and played better than we have ever seen him before. At times he was great and at other times he was the NON FUNCTIONAL QB Urban Meyer described.

Whether he will ever be what we thought or not we don't know but I don't think he is an outright bust at this point by far. He showed a lot of improvement and I think with 2 years in the same system and 2 years with the same Offensive Coordinator there is room for continued improvement.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Vernon - YES
Manny - YES

I don't think I would call Alex an outright bust at this point. It's still debatable how could he can become or not. But guys who get kicked out of the league, take drugs, get arrested and absolutely can't play after a few short years are busts (RYAN LEAF).

Alex came back after 2 years of shoulder surgeries and played better than we have ever seen him before. At times he was great and at other times he was the NON FUNCTIONAL QB Urban Meyer described.

Whether he will ever be what we thought or not we don't know but I don't think he is an outright bust at this point by far. He showed a lot of improvement and I think with 2 years in the same system and 2 years with the same Offensive Coordinator there is room for continued improvement.

Well, like I said, it is debatable. Everyone has a different opinion on what a bust is.

But ask yourself this. What did the Niners get in return from the Alex Smith selection? Excuses and reasons have no part in this argument. If one would just answer the question plainly.

2005 - a virtual non functional QB1
2006 - a somewhat functional QB1
2007 - a somewhat functional QB1 to non contributor
2008 - non contributor
2009 - a functional QB1

Not a lot of actual production from the selection, very much in the Bust domain as far as I am concerned
i wish you could vote more than once, i would say ALEX SMITH IS A BUST, AND ALWAYS WILL BE.
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
yes

I lol'ed

-9fA
None of these guys should be considered busts. It's not like they are out of football coaching crappy back up QBs.
Originally posted by NinerDreamer11:
i wish you could vote more than once, i would say ALEX SMITH IS A BUST, AND ALWAYS WILL BE.

It looks like he's our guy next year so I really hope your wrong about him being a bust. If our D and gore play good next year and alexs f***s it up im going to go crazy.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Snider8706:

It looks like he's our guy next year so I really hope your wrong about him being a bust. If our D and gore play good next year and alexs f***s it up im going to go crazy.

if i were u, i would go look for the nearest mental institution in town, ur ganna need one....

Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by Snider8706:

if i were u, i would go look for the nearest mental institution in town, ur ganna need one....

How about we give alex an oline to see how he does with some time.
Manny Lawson had a fantastic season. as a 3-4 OLB, he was top 10 in the NFL this year. i dont know where the rumors of him sucking this season came from, because theyre uneducated.

if Brooks takes someones playing time, it should be Haralsons, not Lawsons.
Vernon - YES
Manny - YES

Only in NinerTalk would a ProBowl player who tied a record be described as a bust.

Credibility: zero
Vernon has finally realized his potential as a receiver...and I'll give Jimmy Raye a lot of credit for that. Martz talked about what a unique talent he was, but really didn't incorporate him into his offense very well. Nolan wanted him to become a good blocker, and he's one of the best in the league. Now he has the complete game. There's room for improvement...still too many drops, but he's definitely become an elite TE.

Manny's a very good all-around OLB...he's been criticized because he's not this mad pass rusher most thought he'd be. But, he's improved his pass rushing and in my mind, has proven his worth. His development was set back you may as well say 18 months or 1 1/2 seasons because of injury. I'm happy with his game...he brings a lot to the field.

We all want to see more from Alex...he showed glimpses of really getting it this year...a full off-season as the starter is important for continued development. He has some real weapons now...and if they add someone like Gilyard, it'll give him a guy who can take a medium-range pass to the house. He'll have to be more consistent...and use his legs when the pocket collapses. Hopefully Raye will expand his playbook next season...but he'll need improved OL play to do it. We really don't have screens and sweeps in the arsenal and they should be part of it. I agree, we havent' seen Alex's best yet...how good that is remains to be seen.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THIS AN ALEX HATE THREAD, YOU GUYS ALREADY TURNED THE SMITH BANDWAGON INTO A HATE THREAD.

ALEX SMITH SUCKS AND SO DO YOUR CAPS
Share 49ersWebzone