LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

A very disappointing 8-8: Offense has a long way to go.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We were 7-9 last year and people who did not want to blame the entire season on the Offense were stating that the Defense needs to pick it up and didn't hold their part.

Well, our Defense has played VERY well. Of course, as progression dictates, they haven't always come through when needed and should put this together next year. However, they have played pretty damn good if you would evaluate the unit this year.

Yet, only 1 win better. I'm sorry, but this offense has a LONG WAY to go. Only 1 win better and the Defense played much better than the average NFL defense, yet our Offense could only improve and help the team with 1 win.

We really need a solid FA pickup this year because this offense cannot afford more developmental players and Gore carrying the load.

Ahh, Gore carrying the load. The last time a Niner QB was called upon out of rhythm to get a key drive to put us in the lead was Ale....um...Shaun Hill. Still, one wonders what if as 2009 was another "What if" at the QB position. Hopefully, Alex can play this offense with his eyes closed next season as it IS a very simple offense.
LOOOOOONG way to go.

After watching the 49ers this year, I have learned to really savor the simple things in life...like seeing them convert a 3rd down to 1st. This basic stuff shouldn't feel like a unusual surprise when it happens in a game. All due respect to our excellent punter, but I am getting pretty tired of hearing Andy Lee's name so often in football games.
Damn cool, your like a Vet with alzheimer's. Brotha just take a deep breathe, exhale, and just understand that Hill may never start for us again. Not a bad thing, just for us. If he goes to another team, you can easily follow the brotha, and then become one of their fans. Because you cant be a niner fan.

We talk about accepting mediocrity.

But who are we as fans to tell our team, that you guys are just mediocre. We finished 8-8, and yes 8-8, with Smith at the helm. But lets not forget that Hill had his 3-3 record as well for three of those wins.

I aint even gonna blast you cuz its the new year, but seriously cool. I just say maybe you can get all the Hill out until the official offseason, then i hope you leave him or any thoughts of him, where he is. on the bench.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Damn cool, your like a Vet with alzheimer's. Brotha just take a deep breathe, exhale, and just understand that Hill may never start for us again. Not a bad thing, just for us. If he goes to another team, you can easily follow the brotha, and then become one of their fans. Because you cant be a niner fan.

But who are we as fans to tell our team, that you guys are just mediocre. We finished 8-8, and yes 8-8, with Smith at the helm. But lets not forget that Hill had his 3-3 record as well for three of those wins.

I aint even gonna blast you cuz its the new year, but seriously cool. I just say maybe you can get all the Hill out until the official offseason, then i hope you leave him or any thoughts of him, where he is. on the bench.

Hill was 3-3 and 3 of those games were without Gore. I wonder how many games Smith wins without Gore. Gore and the defense has been the key to this team winning except for the play of Hill in ARI and in MIN. He put us in the lead for the win in MIN but 2 straight drives and our OC wanted to run-run-run.

Since Gore has been the primary reason in our wins, then you can't fault Hill for not winning 3 games without him.

My main point is that the passing game has a long way to go because Gore and the Defense is what has been providing the wins.
In another thread, Joe, somebody accused jimmyrae of having only 4 plays, "so the guys would all be on the same page". All i can say is if it is more than 4 plays, we didn't see many of them. Being serious, jimmyrae's playcalling had some plays that were exceptional, but mostly he had the hand brake , air brakes, and foot brakes on at all times, his thinking , i guess, to be cautious even when you didn't need to be.

The one worst half of football i have seen in the last 25 yrs was Sunday's first half, with the Bears punting 6, maybe 8 times, and we did the same. Playcalling was elemental at best, pure plain vanilla at worst. Maybe somebody on the Offense should tell him that 2 franks for 6 yds and a pass on third down...well, maybe the Defense kinda figured that progression out?

i know we have had a new OC for 7 consecutive yrs, but somehow, starting now, one game after the season, you would think bigMike could come up with someone with a bit more imagination than that. My worst fear is that bigMike was actually calling the plays into jmmyrae. I wouldn't be surprised if that actually was the case. You will have to admit, whoever called the plays first half had a very limited to no experience with the O...hence my suspicion bigMIke was calling 'em. If it was jimmyR, then we need a NEW OC, yet again. i cannot for the life of me see jimmyrae suddenly calling a 2010 type O after what i have seen this yr. Maybe i just don't understand his calls, but i can't believe that is what we are gonna see this yr...more of the same.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Hill was 3-3 and 3 of those games were without Gore. I wonder how many games Smith wins without Gore. Gore and the defense has been the key to this team winning except for the play of Hill in ARI and in MIN. He put us in the lead for the win in MIN but 2 straight drives and our OC wanted to run-run-run.

Since Gore has been the primary reason in our wins, then you can't fault Hill for not winning 3 games without him.

My main point is that the passing game has a long way to go because Gore and the Defense is what has been providing the wins.

OH Cool, I feel you brotha, but I mean I can give you some smith drives where he led us back, except they didnt catch it, lol, and there were others as well. And come on, your a more polished vet then to go down the what if route. Lets just go by fact. I'm just saying fact of the matter is Hill did help us get 3 wins. But you still havent alluded to the fact of just letting Hill go. I mean many liked Garcia, but he aint here now, and/or starting.

I mean lets be real. Hill is an after thought. If anything,After smith everyone would rather see Davis in. So i mean Hill may not even be on the team next year, and if he is, our fans would rather have him 3rd, rather than second to get ready for DAvis. So i say how about we keep it in regards to who has a real chance of starting and remaining in for the season. I think if not Smith, then Davis. Thats why i say lets just let the Hill thing go can we?
We are an offensive line fom being a playoff team I think it's the return game that caused us the problem however if we fix the o line and the return game and with this defense I can see us going pretty far in the playoffs
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
In another thread, Joe, somebody accused jimmyrae of having only 4 plays, "so the guys would all be on the same page". All i can say is if it is more than 4 plays, we didn't see many of them. Being serious, jimmyrae's playcalling had some plays that were exceptional, but mostly he had the hand brake , air brakes, and foot brakes on at all times, his thinking , i guess, to be cautious even when you didn't need to be.

The one worst half of football i have seen in the last 25 yrs was Sunday's first half, with the Bears punting 6, maybe 8 times, and we did the same. Playcalling was elemental at best, pure plain vanilla at worst. Maybe somebody on the Offense should tell him that 2 franks for 6 yds and a pass on third down...well, maybe the Defense kinda figured that progression out?

i know we have had a new OC for 7 consecutive yrs, but somehow, starting now, one game after the season, you would think bigMike could come up with someone with a bit more imagination than that. My worst fear is that bigMike was actually calling the plays into jmmyrae. I wouldn't be surprised if that actually was the case. You will have to admit, whoever called the plays first half had a very limited to no experience with the O...hence my suspicion bigMIke was calling 'em. If it was jimmyR, then we need a NEW OC, yet again. i cannot for the life of me see jimmyrae suddenly calling a 2010 type O after what i have seen this yr. Maybe i just don't understand his calls, but i can't believe that is what we are gonna see this yr...more of the same.

I just think this 8 win season was a wasted season. Gore had a VERY good year considering he missed 3 games and the Defense play like a top 10 Defense.

It has been the usual inept passing and dumb coaching in critical situations along with unprepared 1st half game plan.

These 3 unacceptable phases have been consistently bad for 5 years now.

I just think this 8 win season was a wasted season. Gore had a VERY good year considering he missed 3 games and the Defense play like a top 10 Defense.

It has been the usual inept passing and dumb coaching in critical situations along with unprepared 1st half game plan.

But you see what I mean. Your just speaking from personal bias. As i said if your PLAYERS, Gore included, feel that finishing unlike they ever have in almost 6 years is a step up, who are you, or anyone to say otherwise. But i forgot you did say you think, so. And top 10 D, dont sugarcoat the reality brotha, Willis said they should be a top 5, but are they really in the top 10, or do you feel they should bee. See what i mean.

And what has changed consistently over 5 years, is more TD's this year, than in those seasons. We have a proven no 1 WR who hasnt played a whole season, Davis finally is reaching his Pro-Bowl potential, not too mention the QB whether you like him or not, has matched a TD total, for a full season, in just half. So i mean personally you feel it's like this. But sometimes you gotta separate business from personal feeling, and business wise, they have improved on many different facets.

How many games did Staley miss with Hill as QB? How many would Hill win if Staley was out?
[ Edited by kronik on Jan 4, 2010 at 3:28 PM ]

But you see what I mean. Your just speaking from personal bias. As i said if your PLAYERS, Gore included, feel that finishing unlike they ever have in almost 6 years is a step up, who are you, or anyone to say otherwise. But i forgot you did say you think, so. And top 10 D, dont sugarcoat the reality brotha, Willis said they should be a top 5, but are they really in the top 10, or do you feel they should bee. See what i mean.

And what has changed consistently over 5 years, is more TD's this year, than in those seasons. We have a proven no 1 WR who hasnt played a whole season, Davis finally is reaching his Pro-Bowl potential, not too mention the QB whether you like him or not, has matched a TD total, for a full season, in just half. So i mean personally you feel it's like this. But sometimes you gotta separate business from personal feeling, and business wise, they have improved on many different facets.

I didn't state it all on Alex Smith. I'm pointing to the passing game in general including other areas.

1. Inept coaching during critical situations in a game.
2. Terrible Game Plans to start the game.
3. Usual lack of consistent passing or passing isn't getting us the TD when we need.

You must admit, after winning 7 last season, only 8 wins with a Top Defense along with Gore producing better than last season is disappointing.
Originally posted by kronik:

How many games did Staley miss with Hill as QB? How many would Hill win if Staley was out?

Are you kidding? Considering Sims played as well if not better than Staley, then that comment absolutely does not compare to having Coffee over Gore.
This is a "simple offense." Alex should be able to play it with his eyes closed. LOL. The direction of your posts always seems the same.

I have to agree with you on these three points. I would also add, that speed at WR or RB is another issue. I think we all realize that the fastest guy on the offense is our TE, not a WR or RB. Our RB is getting older, and won't be around forever. I know that earlier this year it was supposed to be the "ground chuck" offense, but you have to have an O-line that can run block.

This offense at a minimum needs a difference maker (and no Crabtree was never supposed to be the deep threat) that teams fear. I just hope the "talent evaluators" don't get hung up on replicating the Bears of '85, or we're in for another boring season. At some point you have to open it up, but you need skill players that are fast to do that.

Don't get me wrong, I like Vernon, Crabtree and Frank, but none of them will strike fear into the heart of a defender.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

I have to agree with you on these three points. I would also add, that speed at WR or RB is another issue. I think we all realize that the fastest guy on the offense is our TE, not a WR or RB. Our RB is getting older, and won't be around forever. I know that earlier this year it was supposed to be the "ground chuck" offense, but you have to have an O-line that can run block.

This offense at a minimum needs a difference maker (and no Crabtree was never supposed to be the deep threat) that teams fear. I just hope the "talent evaluators" don't get hung up on replicating the Bears of '85, or we're in for another boring season. At some point you have to open it up, but you need skill players that are fast to do that.

Don't get me wrong, I like Vernon, Crabtree and Frank, but none of them will strike fear into the heart of a defender.

Dude the 85 bears had the #2 ranked offense in the NFL scoring 28.5 points per game. I know it all gets lost because of the great D they played, but they were not slouches on offense either.
Share 49ersWebzone