LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

49ers Defensive Penalties (most in league)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
we have a huge overrated D

How so? Is it being top 3 in sacks? Top 5 in points allowed? Our massive amount of takeaways?

The defense is good, but not elite or top 5. The defense tightens in the redzone but allows big plays between the 20s.

That being said, outside of another CB, the defense is not a big problem.

-9fA

It could be argued that we have a top 5 defense in light of the various rankings, including being #5 in points allowed.

I guess it depends on what one values - yards given up or points allowed.

Stats do not tell the whole story.

Top 5 Ds get there ass off the field and get the crucial stops and big plays...

The league office called. Your fan card has been revoked. Turn your gear in on your way out.

~Ceadder

How so? Is it being top 3 in sacks? Top 5 in points allowed? Our massive amount of takeaways?

The defense is good, but not elite or top 5. The defense tightens in the redzone but allows big plays between the 20s.

-9fA

It could be argued that we have a top 5 defense in light of the various rankings, including being #5 in points allowed.

You make good points. You can't completely judge a defense from one particular statistic. A mixture of points allowed, yardage allowed along with other statistical categories should be included when determining rankings.

I'd personally rank us anywhere from 5-10. I feel that we just give up too much yardage through the air.

-9fA
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Jan 4, 2010 at 10:57 AM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Playing physical defense is going to have some negatives to it as well.

If you aren't happy with the defense, Jim Mora's D is waiting for you in Seattle.

Another stupid NT thread.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

-9fA

The league office called. Your fan card has been revoked. Turn your gear in on your way out.

~Ceadder

high five?
Good. Well not good, but just look at that list, the best/beter defenses in the league are the ones w/ the most penalties (w/ a couple horrible ones thrown in too). But look at the least amount of penalties? Rams, Oakland, Cleveland, some horrendous defenses. It's not cause/effect stuff, but it does point out that you shouldn't get too worked up over it.

-9fA

You make good points. You can't completely judge a defense from one particular statistic. A mixture of points allowed, yardage allowed along with other statistical categories should be included when determine rankings.

I'd personally rank us anywhere from 5-10. I feel that we just give up too much yardage through the air.

-9fA

I agree on the air yardage. That area must be improved.
Does anyone know the takeaway/giveaway ratio?
Originally posted by 49erFaithful:

according to this plus 9

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/2009.htm

-9fA
Big plays between the 20's equal 0 points. It's how many points you allow that matters most.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful:

according to this plus 9

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/2009.htm

Yep 33:24. Ranked 4th in takeaway:giveaway

Originally posted by eastie:

-9fA
Big plays between the 20's equal 0 points. It's how many points you allow that matters most.

True, but it affects field position.

-9fA
  • jcs
  • Veteran

Our D is talented...just undisciplined. That's a mark of coaching. Still they are the bright side of the future of this team, if we make the playoffs next year it will be because the D took us there.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Playing physical defense is going to have some negatives to it as well.

If you aren't happy with the defense, Jim Mora's D is waiting for you in Seattle.

Another stupid NT thread.

Who do you think you are? NT police

THis hardly qualifies as a stupid thread. We gave up nearly 1000 yards to penalties, and you think it is due only to physical D play? Jets, Ravens were much lower. Are you saying these teams don't play physical D?

We were also high in the Offensive penalties ranks. This is a problem on both sides of the ball and means lack of discipline was an issue.

I am not saying this is the end of the world, just an ares that could use some improvement next year.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran

-9fA

Exactly. Our stats are vastly overrated due to getting TOs and sacks in huge chunks against lousy teams, and neither against good teams. The D played well against one decent team, AZ, that's it. If this team played in an even decent division, the record would have been much worse.
Share 49ersWebzone