LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

49ers Defensive Penalties (most in league)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The 49ers D had the most penalties in the league last year, 114 according to NFL.com.

We also gave up the 2nd most yards in penalties, behind only the seahawks. 969 yards. (seahawks 971 yds).

NFL.com link
[ Edited by alburns on Jan 4, 2010 at 10:36 AM ]
we have a huge overrated D
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

I wouldn't say that, but we could have been a lot better if not due to all these penalites. The niners did finish 4th in points per game, while having to play the 5th most plays (due to inept O and 3 and outs).

The Rush defense stats are good. Passing stats.... not so much

How so? Is it being top 3 in sacks? Top 5 in points allowed? Our massive amount of takeaways?
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

How so? Is it being top 3 in sacks? Top 5 in points allowed? Our massive amount of takeaways?

Some people are never satisfied.
just means the refs screwed us a lot.

The defense is good, but not elite or top 5. The defense tightens in the redzone but allows big plays between the 20s.

That being said, outside of another CB, the defense is not a big problem.

-9fA
My question to you is....................so what?

There are just too many positives for this D and their future to worry about one bad stat.

The D is not clutch what so over the slighest pressure gets put on them they snap like a twig, they cant get off the field in crucial situations. Everyone loves our D imo they are nothing great they are average. but there not the problem the I is i just said many overrate them
[ Edited by ninersrule4 on Jan 4, 2010 at 10:47 AM ]
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

The defense is good, but not elite or top 5. The defense tightens in the redzone but allows big plays between the 20s.

-9fA

It could be argued that we have a top 5 defense in light of the various rankings, including being #5 in points allowed.

I guess it depends on what one values - yards given up or points allowed.

-9fA

It could be argued that we have a top 5 defense in light of the various rankings, including being #5 in points allowed.

Stats do not tell the whole story.

Top 5 Ds get there ass off the field and get the crucial stops and big plays...
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
My question to you is....................so what?

There are just too many positives for this D and their future to worry about one bad stat.

It suprised me to see that more than anything. It also shows me that there is still room for improvement and coaching in this area needs to improve
ST penalties play a huge part in that.

Our Defense was pretty damn stout.

Though I will point out that the Zebras threw ALOT of BS flags on our D.

But when you have a D that forces as many Turnovers as much as ours did you're bound to get alot of penalties called also.

~Ceadder

-9fA

Sounds pretty subjective.

I agree that many overrate our D, but let's be truthful: It was pretty damn good this year.

-9fA

Sounds pretty subjective.

I agree that many overrate our D, but let's be truthful: It was pretty damn good this year.

No doubt they were good but I just simply said many on here think there top 5 and I dont believe they are no offense. But they did play good this year and are not the problem. although i wish the cbs would play closer could help alot
Share 49ersWebzone