LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

OL play-by-play analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Joecool:
There are also times when the team blitzes 2 or more guys which means there's more blitzers than blockers. These are times when Alex needs to be ready to scramble or find the hot route. I don't think you can blame these types of blitzes primarily on the OL. The QB needs to help also and not look past 10 yards for a route that's going to take more than 2 seconds.

Blitzes have been a problem all season, especially the A/B gap blitz. This particular blitz is relatively new, and very effective. For those not aware, it is when the opponents sends a pass rusher on each side of the nose tackle to attack the gap on the left and right side of the center. It not only creates 3-on-2 mismatches in the line, but it brings puts rushers, and hands, directly in front of the QB. This negates much to the opportunity to dump a quick pass over the middle into the area just vacated by the blitzing defenders. Sometimes the defense will look like both gaps will be attacked, then wait until the center makes the blocking call and
then pull one of the blitzers back. This puts tremendous pressure on the center and guards to switch on the fly in order to block it. This season, Rachal has been particularly abused by this, and Baas has been a frequent victim as well.

Yesterday the Rams had some success with this both in pass rush situations but also using a variation of it on run plays as well. BTW, Spagnuolo was one of the pioneers of this while with NYGiants.

Back to the 49ers; I don't want to excuse Smith from not recognizing the patterns. He should. However, a CRUCIAL component in defeating this blitz package is the TE being able to read it and adjust his route into open areas that are AVAILABLE to the QB. Davis has NOT been able to do this. All too often he just runs into dead space in the middle of the field but the blitzers have already taken away that passing lane so Davis is unavailable. He needs to learn to run a quick arrow route (angle in and then reverse - looks like an arrow) to get into an open passing lane. He can't just LOOK open. It does no good if he has beaten his man but into an area in which Smith has no lane to throw the ball.

I am not sure if I blame all of this on Davis or if Pete Hoerner just isn't teaching it. In either case, and it may be some of both, beating A/B blitzes DEMANDS better sight adjustments by the TE than we saw this past season.

Back to your comment Joe, the Rams overplayed the run very well yesterday, especially in the first half. It seems all the 49ers can, or want to do, is run up the middle, stick-a-foot-in-the-ground and cut. The need to develop a wide game that will allow them to get outside this constant clogging of the middle of the field. The only time they tried that yesterday Davis failed to block the DE and Gore never had a chance. After that, Raye never called it again. It should have been there with all the overloading the Rams were doing in the middle but there seemed no recognition on the part of Raye to that tactic.

Part play calling, part blocking, part route adjustments, part QB vision. All contribute.

I understand what the defense is trying to do with confusing the Guards and Center. And yes, that split second Smith presumably needs to wait for Davis to know that he isn't adjusting hurts, but, how do we know Vernon isn't required to adjust or how many times has Vernon not adjusted? I have rarely seen a hot pass to Vernon, which makes me consider that Vernon isn't required to adjust.

And if Vernon is required to adjust yet rarely does, then how many times is Smith going to keep trusting him? There have been many times when Smith reaches his back foot, looks down field, doesn't see anything quick and the front side rusher gets to him. He really needs to understand that he can dodge the front side rusher. Not every play must be executed as seen on the board. It's OK if he dodges the rusher first and THEN finds a receiver or scrambles for more yards.
  • dj43
Originally posted by kronik:
Thanks for the well informed post. That's alot of work by you

Thanks to all. I just wanted to give a view of how critical the play of the OL is to everything that goes on. Smith can't see to throw if he has a blitzer in his face immediately. Gore can't get outside if the TE does not make his block. Runs get stuffed in the backfield if the guard and tackle are not on the same page and let a defender run right between them. Trap blocks don't work if the guard isn't quick enough to get across and make the reach block. Lots of little things that miss the eye if you only watch the football.

Besides it was a slow morning in the office.
Terrific post, as always. Your contribution is a model for the board.

So, I get it from your review that Heitmann sucks.
  • dj43
Originally posted by NinerGM:
There are also times when the team blitzes 2 or more guys which means there's more blitzers than blockers. These are times when Alex needs to be ready to scramble or find the hot route. I don't think you can blame these types of blitzes primarily on the OL. The QB needs to help also and not look past 10 yards for a route that's going to take more than 2 seconds.

Blitzes have been a problem all season, especially the A/B gap blitz. This particular blitz is relatively new, and very effective. For those not aware, it is when the opponents sends a pass rusher on each side of the nose tackle to attack the gap on the left and right side of the center. It not only creates 3-on-2 mismatches in the line, but it brings puts rushers, and hands, directly in front of the QB. This negates much to the opportunity to dump a quick pass over the middle into the area just vacated by the blitzing defenders. Sometimes the defense will look like both gaps will be attacked, then wait until the center makes the blocking call and
then pull one of the blitzers back. This puts tremendous pressure on the center and guards to switch on the fly in order to block it. This season, Rachal has been particularly abused by this, and Baas has been a frequent victim as well.

Yesterday the Rams had some success with this both in pass rush situations but also using a variation of it on run plays as well. BTW, Spagnuolo was one of the pioneers of this while with NYGiants.

Back to the 49ers; I don't want to excuse Smith from not recognizing the patterns. He should. However, a CRUCIAL component in defeating this blitz package is the TE being able to read it and adjust his route into open areas that are AVAILABLE to the QB. Davis has NOT been able to do this. All too often he just runs into dead space in the middle of the field but the blitzers have already taken away that passing lane so Davis is unavailable. He needs to learn to run a quick arrow route (angle in and then reverse - looks like an arrow) to get into an open passing lane. He can't just LOOK open. It does no good if he has beaten his man but into an area in which Smith has no lane to throw the ball.

I am not sure if I blame all of this on Davis or if Pete Hoerner just isn't teaching it. In either case, and it may be some of both, beating A/B blitzes DEMANDS better sight adjustments by the TE than we saw this past season.

Back to your comment Joe, the Rams overplayed the run very well yesterday, especially in the first half. It seems all the 49ers can, or want to do, is run up the middle, stick-a-foot-in-the-ground and cut. The need to develop a wide game that will allow them to get outside this constant clogging of the middle of the field. The only time they tried that yesterday Davis failed to block the DE and Gore never had a chance. After that, Raye never called it again. It should have been there with all the overloading the Rams were doing in the middle but there seemed no recognition on the part of Raye to that tactic.

Part play calling, part blocking, part route adjustments, part QB vision. All contribute.

THIS.

What I've been saying for more than a few games now, how the OL has been attacked. I'm not sure why, it seems that Heitman will call protection to the left more than the right, leaving Rachal one-on-one or two-on-one with his blocker. Rachal becomes confused in space allowing 2 blockers to whiff pass him. Furthermore, where's the cut-block?

Thanks dj. Great analysis.
Cut blocks are great against a blitz. It immediately gets the DL on the ground with a wide open passing lane for the QB to quickly throw the ball. But...once again...it takes a TE, or a slot receiver, who is reading the blitz the same way to run an adjustment that puts them in the passing lane.

It ain't an easy game!!!
Great work, dj43!!!!
  • dj43

I understand what the defense is trying to do with confusing the Guards and Center. And yes, that split second Smith presumably needs to wait for Davis to know that he isn't adjusting hurts, but, how do we know Vernon isn't required to adjust or how many times has Vernon not adjusted? I have rarely seen a hot pass to Vernon, which makes me consider that Vernon isn't required to adjust.

And if Vernon is required to adjust yet rarely does, then how many times is Smith going to keep trusting him? There have been many times when Smith reaches his back foot, looks down field, doesn't see anything quick and the front side rusher gets to him. He really needs to understand that he can dodge the front side rusher. Not every play must be executed as seen on the board. It's OK if he dodges the rusher first and THEN finds a receiver or scrambles for more yards.
I don't know what Vernon is being asked to do. All I know is what most TEs in the league are asked to do, and what 49er TEs have always done. All the way back to Russ Francis and John Frank, they were the go-to receiver along with Dwight Clark. Brent Jones was a master at sight adjustments. Even Eric Johnson was above average at reading and adjusting.

I recall one of the beat writers a couple years ago noting how much work the coaches were giving Davis in this area both during and after practice. I don't recall the specific comment but the implication was that he wasn't picking it up as fast as the coaches desire.
  • dj43
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Terrific post, as always. Your contribution is a model for the board.

So, I get it from your review that Heitmann sucks.

ah, yeah, ah, I try to stay out of that little arena.

I don't know what Vernon is being asked to do. All I know is what most TEs in the league are asked to do, and what 49er TEs have always done. All the way back to Russ Francis and John Frank, they were the go-to receiver along with Dwight Clark. Brent Jones was a master at sight adjustments. Even Eric Johnson was above average at reading and adjusting.

I recall one of the beat writers a couple years ago noting how much work the coaches were giving Davis in this area both during and after practice. I don't recall the specific comment but the implication was that he wasn't picking it up as fast as the coaches desire.

But the same thing is said about Alex Smith. Also, I'm sure he doesn't miss every hot route or sight adjustment yet how many times has he caught a hot route or adjusted to a blitz? I have rarely seen it if at all. I'm sure he doesn't mess up THAT many times which causes me to believe that his assignment doesn't change as your general example. Which puts it more on Smith. If the front side blitzer is coming at Smith, Smith needs to stop standing there after he hits his last step. He seems to think he still has the time to look for a receiver and make the throw. This is where it's gets tiring searching for blame everywhere else except for the QB. Even Hill was able to avoid rushers coming that far off the edge for the scramble or after dodging him, flatting out at the LOS and looking for a WR.

The posts about Alex Smith are either it's EVERYONE else, or it's all Alex. Personally, I don't find him at fault at all for not avoiding pressure up the middle but he's gotta see and avoid that front side edge rusher more often than he does, stop worrying about the play, make the guy miss AND THEN look to create something.
Play #35 seemed to jumpstart the offense. It was a great catch by Crabtree and Alex made a great throw under pressure. I thought Alex had a pretty good game against an improving Rams Defense.

dj43 do you believe that the offense is working better in the SG because the protection is better? It seems to me that most of the sacks come from Alex starting under center.
[ Edited by 9er2631 on Jan 4, 2010 at 1:15 PM ]
  • dj43

But the same thing is said about Alex Smith. Also, I'm sure he doesn't miss every hot route or sight adjustment yet how many times has he caught a hot route or adjusted to a blitz? I have rarely seen it if at all. I'm sure he doesn't mess up THAT many times which causes me to believe that his assignment doesn't change as your general example. Which puts it more on Smith. If the front side blitzer is coming at Smith, Smith needs to stop standing there after he hits his last step. He seems to think he still has the time to look for a receiver and make the throw. This is where it's gets tiring searching for blame everywhere else except for the QB. Even Hill was able to avoid rushers coming that far off the edge for the scramble or after dodging him, flatting out at the LOS and looking for a WR.

The posts about Alex Smith are either it's EVERYONE else, or it's all Alex. Personally, I don't find him at fault at all for not avoiding pressure up the middle but he's gotta see and avoid that front side edge rusher more often than he does, stop worrying about the play, make the guy miss AND THEN look to create something.
I think Jimmy Raye answered the question for both of us last week; "Alex needs some more maverick in him."

My emphasis in this thread has been the role of the OL and how their strong performance, of lack thereof, affected other things. When they don't handle the blitz well, others have to take extra measures, that includes Smith and Davis and Crabtree and Gore...

Good post homie. but soon as we get closer to the draft folks gonna say "Hey let's just put Sims at LT and move Staley over and draft somebody with speed instead"

Niners need better horses on the o line alot of things will look better with the o line situation settled. draft them or sign but don't neglect this again.
  • dj43
Originally posted by 9er2631:
Play #35 seemed to jumpstart the offense. It was a great catch by Crabtree and Alex made a great throw under pressure. I thought Alex had a pretty good game against an improving Rams Defense.

dj43 do you believe that the offense is working better in the SG because the protection is better? It seems to me that most of the sacks come from Alex starting under center.
Good question.

In my view, the 49er offense works better when Raye opens up the playbook and brings a more varied assortment of plays and formations into the game. In the second half, they started from the shotgun but also added variety, and the line blocked better and the plays opened up. Chicken?/Egg?

I have never bought into the idea that Alex Smith could only play out of the shotgun. He did too well in the I-formation under Norv Turner for me to accept that shotgun nonsense.

For a similar reason, I have never bought into the idea the line could only block for the shotgun.

My view is that coaches put players in positions to allow them to do their best, and that includes game plans that are designed to deceive as well as to overpower a weaker opponent. For too much of this year, and seemingly, in every game, the 49ers relied on an overly simplistic game plan that put far too much pressure on every player, particularly OL, winning their individual match-ups in order for the play to succeed.

Once Singletary/Raye went deeper into the playbook and began to give the other team more to defend, more to think about, like magic, the offense began to click.

So yes, I think the shotgun gives Smith a comfort zone perhaps, but that is much over-rated, IMO. This game may be won in the trenches but even there, treachery and deceit rule the day. The formation is a part of it but not letting the other team know what you intend is also a big part of it. The 49ers have been far too predictable far too much of the time this year. Every announcer on almost every broadcast, including Gary Plummer and Ted Robinson have noticed it. Opposing teams have as well.
No one wants to say it, but aren't some of you impatient that VD, after four years, he cannot always be counted on to focus or know when and where to look, adjust, etc.? He may be big, strong and fast, but he lacks something that keeps him from being a complete TE.
Originally posted by excelsior:
No one wants to say it, but aren't some of you impatient that VD, after four years, he cannot always be counted on to focus or know when and where to look, adjust, etc.? He may be big, strong and fast, but he lacks something that keeps him from being a complete TE.

Yes. I still think VD has a LONG way to go to be a complete player. I'm not saying he isn't a very good player but I'd rather have Brent Jones on my team than VD anyday. VD has problems catching the ball still and doens't adjust to what he sees on the field. Jones is still the best TE in the 9ers ever had.
Great post, that is exactly how I feel about Alex Smith as well. Nice break down on the line. The obvious holes in the line have been the the RT, what I would like to see is the 49ers bring in a really good LT and move Joe Staley back to RT, I still believe his best season was his first year at RT.
Share 49ersWebzone