LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 345 users in the forums

Has Alex Smith proved to be the 49er's QB of the future?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Has Alex Smith proved to be the 49er's QB of the future?

Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
Originally posted by djfullshred:
No.

He doesn't totally suck, but whoever is going to be the starter has to move the sticks a lot more than what we have seen. I dont at all buy into the thoughts that all the problems are everyone else's fault like the OC O-line, & WRs, but not the QB. Hogwash.

Not all the problems, but the play, any play, starts with blocking. Bad blocking and things come more difficult.

As for him "moving the sticks", have you seen a lot of the play-calling on 3rd and longs? Screens, draws, etc. Sure, maybe if Alex did more on 1st and 2nd down, we wouldn't be in the 3rd and 8-9yd plus range, but it's not always on him.

Most of the time it is a run on 1st and 2nd ........
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I also keep hearing about how Alex came in half way through the season and shouldn't really be judged....and that next year is the year he should be judged

this is what I heard before this season and into training camp....

it's not our fault that Alex got beat out by Shaun Hill.....and we had to wait alittle longer before we got to see Alex again.

after watching Alex these past 4 games, can any of you really see Alex improving drastically next year....because that is what he is going to need to do, if we want to make the playoffs and win games as well....

he looked HORRIBLE against the Eagles to keep our playoff hopes alive......and has not looked good against the 2 worse teams in the League in back to back weeks......and one of those games was at Home.

I mean really, step back for a second and look at the big picture......I know it is the best case scenario for our team if Alex becomes a great QB, but wishing can only take you so far....imo, it is not right to bash posters who refuse to wish along, not that I care

Maybe that is what a lot of people should do with the offense in general.......
next season, no more excuses. I'm hopeful from what I've seen from him this season, but he has his moments. Our OL needs to be addressed to give him more time to scan the field. He dumps it off WAY too many times. On 3rd and long, you don't throw it for a 3 yard gain. If he's doing that s**t next year, he'll have lost my support.
C'mon Man!!! (directed toward Alex) Alex, you need to hurry up and improve rapidly!

We still don't know if Alex will be the QB of the future. In training camp, give Alex and Nate the reps. Sorry Shaun.

Let Alex start next season and develop the heck out of Nate Davis! If Alex has not improved a lot by week 13, let Nate start the last 3 games.
I selected "Given more time, he will get there".

He's definitely improved over his 2006 season but he still has some ways to go before we can say that he's our QB of the future. I do think that Smith can continue to improve because he has a good work ethic and because he hasn't hit a wall as of yet.

-9fA
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
No.

He doesn't totally suck, but whoever is going to be the starter has to move the sticks a lot more than what we have seen. I dont at all buy into the thoughts that all the problems are everyone else's fault like the OC O-line, & WRs, but not JUST the QB. Hogwash.

Fixed that for U bud....Alex got better....stats show that....they will ALWAYS room for improvement across the board. It STARTS with (Alex)....but ends with everyone else. Gore at times had his fumble relapse, Davis, Crabz, Morgan had passes hit their hands & let the ball bounce off. Time & consistency SHOULD fix this & in 2010 they ALL will be loved & supported...but also held ACCOUNTABLE.

GO 9ERS
Question for those of you who voted to give him more time....

How much longer do you think it will take?

Just as a reference, it's taken him 3 years to improve his QB rate from the mid 70's to the low 80's.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
No.

He doesn't totally suck, but whoever is going to be the starter has to move the sticks a lot more than what we have seen. I dont at all buy into the thoughts that all the problems are everyone else's fault like the OC O-line, & WRs, but not the QB. Hogwash.

But then again -- did you see the Philly-Dallas game yesterday? Romo had forever and a day to scan the field and check down to the open receiver -- look off safeties -- linebackers, etc.

Rarely -- I mean -- rarely -- does Alex get that kind of time. You wonder how much better he would be if the line could give him 4-5 seconds on a consistent basis.

As much as I hate making excuses -- the lack of protection back there does play a role. He should be getting more time to throw the ball. He did in some cases against the Lambs -- but that Long fellow was just eating Snyder for breakfast on some plays.

Unacceptable.

Bottom line is if the dude had proved it we would not be discussing this question. He hasn't. I know all the excuses. I watch all the games. Not every missed play is he getting only two seconds to throw the ball. I acknowledge Smith has made strides, but to say someone of his current playing ability is a the long term answer is setting your standards too low for the NFL imo. I am niot saying he does not deserve another chance to start. But I interpret "QB of the furture" to be a franchise player that you will want to lock up for the rest of his career as starter. Sorry folks, I think that would be ridiculous to say that about him right now. We don't know if he will ever be good enough to be that guy.
He's done enough to prove that he's the QB of the present (or at least, for next year). But he hasn't progressed fast enough or played consistently enough to show that he's the QB of the future. He has all the physical skills to be a great NFL QB, but I personally don't think he has the heart/guts/nerve required to take a team to the playoffs. I hope he proves me wrong.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Question for those of you who voted to give him more time....

How much longer do you think it will take?

Just as a reference, it's taken him 3 years to improve his QB rate from the mid 70's to the low 80's.

1 more year. That is it.

-9fA

Originally posted by GoFD74:
He's done enough to prove that he's the QB of the present (or at least, for next year). But he hasn't progressed fast enough or played consistently enough to show that he's the QB of the future. He has all the physical skills to be a great NFL QB, but I personally don't think he has the heart/guts/nerve required to take a team to the playoffs. I hope he proves me wrong.

That is not exactly a ringing endorsement, which appears to be the general consensus around here.

So is Nate Davis that guy or do the Niners take a shot at drafting someone like Sam Bradford or Colt McCoy if they drop to the mid first or early second?
Originally posted by Antix:
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
Let Alex get a shot next year. But draft a QB on the first day. Take away VD's unreal season and alex would have looked terrible. Lowest Yards Per Pass of any QB not labeled a bum.

That's so f'd up.

You take aways any QBs top receiver they look terrible. I'm not a Smith Hater or Supporter but some of you haters just come up with ridiculous stuff.

Does NY1 believe that Duke would have had THIS GOOD of a season with Shaun Hill Starting under Center for the WHOLE season?

I'm not hating on Shaun at all. But if guys wanna say astoundingly stupid things like this I can play that game too.

~Ceadder
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
No - do what it takes to get a new QB ASAP
  • dj43
After completing my OL analysis (different thread) yesterday, I was much more encouraged with his pocket presence and ability to put the ball where it needs to be. Also, a full off-season with the young receivers will help everyone a lot. Far too many times the receivers did not run routes consistently or deep enough for first downs.

Smith MAY get to the point where he is good enough to overcome all these other deficiencies, but for now, he can't throw from a pocket that doesn't exist and he can't run routes for the receivers. What he does need to do is learn to keep his passes lower. That is one thing that still bothers me.

Still much work to be done in coordinating the offense. The radical change it went through this year after it became obvious the OL couldn't be a power running line, makes it far too difficult to decide see the end of the tunnel from here.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Put me down in the "not sure" camp -- but I'm not ready to waste a high draft pick on another QB. You should have put in the option:

"Not sure -- but don't waste a high pick on another QB."

Cause -- that's just how Bill Bird rolls -- or feels -- about this matter.

I'll tell you Smith fans this much. Barring injury or outright disaster -- Smith gets next year to get this team into the playoffs. If it doesn't happen -- then look for the team to probably turn to Nate Davis. Or, who knows? Maybe we use a third round pick on a QB?

I agree with this. Smith is our best shot for success next year. However, by week FOUR he needs to show that this is HIS offense and HIS team and that he fully gets it. In other words, while he has all of next year, the results need to show up immediately after a full off season in the same system with all the practice reps.
Share 49ersWebzone