LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 242 users in the forums

Has Alex Smith proved to be the 49er's QB of the future?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Has Alex Smith proved to be the 49er's QB of the future?

• ZRF80
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by crzy:
McNabb = Playoffs

McNabb = giving up high picks and sacrificing the future for very little.

The FUTURE is NOW ! We were talking "future" back in 2005 when we started the string of drafts that brought us VD, Gore, Willis, etc. Im sick of everyone talking future, when Gore is already banged up as it is, and key players (Clements, Bly, Harris) are either past their prime or with expiring contracts.

What we need is to lose some of our picks for KEY players so we can make a playoff run NOW, and then develop a guy in the meantime to take over the reigns for the future.

McNabb gives us that opportunity.

What would you give up to trade for McNabb?

Ok, lets assume the worst and say that the Niners are willing to give up one of their first rounders for McNabb. Yes, I know its a hefty price, and Im sure the Niners arent willing to do it.

But what do we lose ? How many first rounders pan out to be great players ? And what are the chances that BOTH our picks could be probowlers next year ? Slim to none.

Even you couldnt argue that McNabb gives us an INSTANT playoff berth. Our defense isnt the greatest, but they're one of the stingiest in the league. If we could actually field an offense that could post points on the board and build insurmountable leads, Im sure our defense could shut teams out.

Do you doubt any of this ?
I'm not sure Alex is the answer, but I Think McNabb has been overrated his entire career. He knows how to feel pressure and throw a deep ball, but that's it. He has no accuracy or touch on short to medium range passes. He puts WAY too much heat on them as well.
McNabb = Playoffs

The FUTURE is NOW ! We were talking "future" back in 2005 when we started the string of drafts that brought us VD, Gore, Willis, etc. Im sick of everyone talking future, when Gore is already banged up as it is, and key players (Clements, Bly, Harris) are either past their prime or with expiring contracts.

What we need is to lose some of our picks for KEY players so we can make a playoff run NOW, and then develop a guy in the meantime to take over the reigns for the future.

Ok, lets assume the worst and say that the Niners are willing to give up one of their first rounders for McNabb. Yes, I know its a hefty price, and Im sure the Niners arent willing to do it.

But what do we lose ? How many first rounders pan out to be great players ? And what are the chances that BOTH our picks could be probowlers next year ? Slim to none.

Even you couldnt argue that McNabb gives us an INSTANT playoff berth. Our defense isnt the greatest, but they're one of the stingiest in the league. If we could actually field an offense that could post points on the board and build insurmountable leads, Im sure our defense could shut teams out.

McNabb looked pretty bad yesterday. I wouldn't want to give up a 1st to get him. IF we did trade for him I'd hope the 9ers would try to improve the oline cause McNabb is too old to run around all the time.

I'll say McNabb is better than Smith right now. But I'd not want to trade a 1st for an old QB like McNabb who might not be able to get through an entire year behind the 9ers current oline.
  • ZRF80
McNabb = Playoffs

McNabb looked pretty bad yesterday. I wouldn't want to give up a 1st to get him. IF we did trade for him I'd hope the 9ers would try to improve the oline cause McNabb is too old to run around all the time.

I'll say McNabb is better than Smith right now. But I'd not want to trade a 1st for an old QB like McNabb who might not be able to get through an entire year behind the 9ers current oline.

McNabb's career has been shot by his coaches, who have NEVER given him a proper team to play with since he was drafted. Besides TO, what receiving threats was he given during his tenure in Philly. He's been leaning on guys like Westbrook and Staley in years past. Now imagine giving him some viable targets like VD and Crabtree, along with Gore as his prime back.

We could really be an offensive powerhouse. And again, the KEY is transition. McNabb buys us a few years to develop the future. In that time, we satisfy guys like Willis, Gore, Spencer, etc...........who would be willing to play out their careers here knowing the team has a winning attitude. This yearly "lets play the QB-caroussel with half-assed players like JT, Smith, and Hill" has got to end.......
I thought this thread was about the QB of the future, why are people talking about a has been like McNabb? Get real the niners QB of the future MIGHT be in this draft or the next. Alex will be fine until we get our guy!

McNabb=past!
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I thought this thread was about the QB of the future, why are people talking about a has been like McNabb? Get real the niners QB of the future MIGHT be in this draft or the next. Alex will be fine until we get our guy!

McNabb=past!

Agreed. McNabb would be the QB of the present.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

McNabb=past!

Agreed. McNabb would be the QB of the present.

8-8 and still rebuilding, do we trade to try and make a short term fix (Mcnabb) or do we keep building, this means we take a RB, QB and a RT on the first day! Look for safety help and a depth at D-line on the second day.

I say a RB because at his age with his number of carries Gore will be done before Smith or any draft pick is likely to be ready.

Take Mcnab, and MAYBE win a play off game next year and Possibly the one after, but were are we then when he retires? I just don't think he has much left in his tank, Farve shows more spark!

Mcnab=DONE
obviously?

Originally posted by znk916:
obviously?

I like to see grit in my QB.
Share 49ersWebzone