LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 292 users in the forums

The Only Jimmy Raye Fan

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by okdkid:
I'm a fan.

You can't logically call for a guy's head when he gets his RB the most TDs in a single season he's ever had, gets his TE nearly 1,000 yards and ties the all-time TE touchdown record, reduced the # of sacks from the previous year, gets his QB to play more comfortably and to his strengths and gets a rookie WR who missed all of training camp and five games to walk into a legitimate #1 WR role.

Are there areas for improvement? Absolutely. Particularly on 3rd down. But this dude can clearly coach and knows how to utilize the playmakers we have.

He is more than deserving of an offseason to further instill his offense into our talented group. Really, this offense isn't far from being a solid, dependable unit. We have the WRs to compete, have the TEs, have the RBs. Need one RT and an offseason to coach up Alex.

Sounds good to me.

Hard to argue with that first paragraph. Nicely done.
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
While J-Raye is not flashy, he is a solid OC... He's done what he was brought in to do (match the O to his players strengths). I agree with the OP. Raye has won me over...

Do you watch games or look at stats? The 49ers had the 27th best offense in the NFL,
how could anyone that was a big part of that get a passing grade? The offense did not improve through the season either.

Maybe not statistically, but they definitely improved. The offense evolved the entire season, and now we have an idea of an identity. In the beginning of the year, they wanted to be a smash mouth running team, but it didnt work. To me, it is an improvement that they saw what wasnt working and began modifying things. I think Raye did a pretty damn good job considering the following:

- Two completely different QBs
- Losing your best RB for a few weeks
- Constant shifting of the OL
- Constant shifting of the WR

Bottom line is that even in a year where the offense was ranked 27th overall, he got Alex Smith to have his best statistical year, Vernon Davis to break out and become elite, Frank Gore to score more TDs instead of yards, Crabtree to learn the offense with no camp, etc. That, by itself, is commendable and makes me think he deserves more time. If these guys are having career years in an abysmal offense, just imagine when they will do with more time and experience in it.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
I don't know what to think of Jimmy Raye. His INCONSISTENT play-calling = INCONSISTENT QB play. I gotta assume that it's like that because he didn't have Smith or Crabtree for that matter as our starters.

Regardless, weither we like it or not....we NEED Raye for CONSISTENCY for ALL our guys on offense.
I give Raye credit for everything except for his playcalling. I would have no problems with his playcalling duties being stripped, give it to Johnson for example.

Too many times we've been flat in the first half. He can't seem to gameplan properly as he has to see what the defense does first before his offense can even move the football.

Who couldn't predict that we'd run draws and screens on 3rd and long against the Rams? His playcalling is too predictable. Run Run and then pass on 3rd and 9.

-9fA
  • BobS
  • Veteran
While J-Raye is not flashy, he is a solid OC... He's done what he was brought in to do (match the O to his players strengths). I agree with the OP. Raye has won me over...

Do you watch games or look at stats? The 49ers had the 27th best offense in the NFL,
how could anyone that was a big part of that get a passing grade? The offense did not improve through the season either.

Nope, I've never watched a game in my life.

Have you ever posted without trying to insult the guy you want to talk to? You may get better results.

Not meant as an insult, more like "What are you seeing that I am not?"
While the offense looked better than it has since Garcia left, the numbers don't prove this out. While Vernon is improved, Alex looks improved, and Crabtree looks like the best receiver since T.O. they aren't cranking out many more yards than the offense put up in 2004. It seems like individual improvements are not translating to better end results on Sunday, my only reasoning is the possibility the coaching staff is getting out coached on game day.
if raye could call the 1st half of a game as well as he does in the second half, i'd be content with him! His scripted plays are terrible (not one td in opening drive) and fails to make any in game adjustments in the 1st half! Second half is better!
I predicted he would retire after one season. If he were, when should I expect him to announce it?

Have you ever posted without trying to insult the guy you want to talk to? You may get better results.

While the offense looked better than it has since Garcia left, the numbers don't prove this out. While Vernon is improved, Alex looks improved, and Crabtree looks like the best receiver since T.O. they aren't cranking out many more yards than the offense put up in 2004. It seems like individual improvements are not translating to better end results on Sunday, my only reasoning is the possibility the coaching staff is getting out coached on game day.

My reasoning is that they weren't the starers at the beginning of the season. Let's see what happens with an off season and training camp to get familiar with each other, better timing, better understanding of tendencies, etc. more expansive playbook designed for the strengths that each player brings to the game. I think we are on the cusp of an explosive and dynamic offense for 2010.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I give Raye credit for everything except for his playcalling. I would have no problems with his playcalling duties being stripped, give it to Johnson for example.

Too many times we've been flat in the first half. He can't seem to gameplan properly as he has to see what the defense does first before his offense can even move the football.

Who couldn't predict that we'd run draws and screens on 3rd and long against the Rams? His playcalling is too predictable. Run Run and then pass on 3rd and 9.

-9fA

Absolutely. I was in the stands calling Raye's plays for my wife and friend. We have the nearly worst 3d down conversion rate because his first and second down plays suck. It is the most predictable offense in the league.
While I would like to retain him just to stop the hemmoraging of OCs year to year, I wish he would be less predictable. I mean we have not scored a touchdown on our 1st drive of the game this year. Yesterday in the Rams game, it was evident that even the Rams knew what plays we were calling before our QB called them in the huddle (in first half). That's got to change.

Oh and.......please provide some upgrades in the starting O-Line.

I'm a fan of winning and making the playoffs... If he could do that for us then I would be a fan.

Ok, well in that case...

I put a lot more of the offense woes on the QB and O-line than anything else. 8 of the top 10 QB's have led their teams to the playoffs and only one team that does not have a QB in the top half of the league (statistically) made the playoffs this year. Alex, unfortunately, is in the bottom half of the league as far as QB's go and his inconsistency and inaccuracy are a big part of our losses; as well as, the poor O-line play for most of the season.

As far as coaching, we were right there in most of those games we lost. We have 6 losses that were a TD or less. 3 of those 5 were losses by a FG, 3 points... This was with a QB change mid season and a Pre-season O scheme that completely failed because we didn't have the line to pull it off.

Now, if Alex completed a couple more of those off target passes or the line blocked a bit better for the run game, we could be looking at 11-5 and the playoffs.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
It doesn't matter if Raye or someone else is the OC next season without addressing CHRIS FORESTER and coaching at the OL. Inconsistencies in technique is just so drastic, it's crazy. For example, the OG pull well but are terrible at drive blocking. Pass blocking has been uneven, but the right side of the OL has been a turn-style. Very little if not no cut-blocking that I could see at all. Screens have been dubious at best. Forester obviously sold Singletary and Raye that we could have a power-run offense and has poorly assessed talent and has poorly coached and schemed this unit. His resume is terrible and teams get better upon his departure.

Keep Raye, but Forester must go. I'm really hoping coach makes this change.

I agree Foerster needs to go...
Considering all the factors, I am a fan of Raye, I think he will do better next season. The offense will be better for just having more time to build chemistry, I think people underestimate how important that is to the passing game. We need better coaching for the offensive line, there is no excuse for not being able to convert 4th and 1 or less with Frank Gore as your running back. This team needs continuity and that comes from stability.
I don't think he's that great of a play caller, but you have to remember they put Smith in and his play calling had to drastically change. I think the players are more of the problem than his play calling. Smith is just average and the o line is 40 steps below average. Please get the o line correct.
Share 49ersWebzone