Originally posted by Gore_21:
We where also:

T1st - (23 forced fumbles)

4th - PPG (17.6)

7th - Rush YPG (97)

T-11 (18 Ints)

18th YPG (326.4)

****4th in Points allowed with 281****

See now, I know we are stout against the run and not so good against the pass (21st) but what really means something is the points allowed. We bent but didnt break. Shoot, there where games where the QB had 300 plus YDs and we only gave up 3-6 points.

EDIT: Also seen we have the best defense in the 2nd half. 7 Points Per Game given up in the second half. Too bad sometimes we forgot to show up in the first.

Are u sure we are 18th in YPG? Why does NFL.com show us at 15th?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2009&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

My bad, 15th is right. We get some secondary help and we take that 15th to 10-12th or higher.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
I'd be more happy if it was consistent with every game

if our pass rush didn't disappear against the Falcons, Eagles, Vikings etc...it could have been a different game

That happens, even Pitt, Vikings, have a weeks off. The last team that didn't have a week off on a game (not necessarily a pass rush) was the '72 Dolphins...I'll live with knowing the Niners are not perfect yet...

I swear...some people just want the whole f**king arm, a hand is not enough.

I'm not saying we need to get 5 sacks a game, I'm talking about at least getting some pressure on the QB. Against those teams I've posted above the pass rush completely disappeared and Ryan and McNabb were able to completely pick apart our secondary...that can't happen against the good teams..all I'm saying.

Birdman is right. We have been inconsistent. Like in the first half against the Jags we had 0 and 6 in the second half. Some games 8, others 0. It would probably be better if we didn't have so many in one game and spread those 44 over 16 games and not 10 or whatever.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by jcs:
Our issues this year were on Offense...starting with the Oline and ending at QB.

Isn't O Line pretty related to how a QB plays?

Yes, and No. Rodgers still has a s**tty OL and plays great, Big Ben has a s**tty OL and plays great, the QB can also make the OL, just like the OL can also make the QB. But, a more talented QB can over come a bad OL, while no matter how good the OL is, if the QB can't throw a ball (Shaun Hill) good luck, you can have the best OL in all of football history, and you can still be a bad QB.

if our pass rush didn't disappear against the Falcons, Eagles, Vikings etc...it could have been a different game

That happens, even Pitt, Vikings, have a weeks off. The last team that didn't have a week off on a game (not necessarily a pass rush) was the '72 Dolphins...I'll live with knowing the Niners are not perfect yet...

I'm not saying we need to get 5 sacks a game, I'm talking about at least getting some pressure on the QB. Against those teams I've posted above the pass rush completely disappeared and Ryan and McNabb were able to completely pick apart our secondary...that can't happen against the good teams..all I'm saying.

Birdman is right. We have been inconsistent. Like in the first half against the Jags we had 0 and 6 in the second half. Some games 8, others 0. It would probably be better if we didn't have so many in one game and spread those 44 over 16 games and not 10 or whatever.

Steelers game 1 against Titans : 1 sack
Steelers against Oak : 1 sack
Steelers 2nd game against Browns : 1 sack
Steelers against Packers : 1 sack

Not to mention that that defense has been together for awhile, and have former defensive player of the year in Harrison, and another great pass rusher in Woodley.

And they are the top sacking team in the league...but you don't hear people complaining about them...seriously you guys need to watch more football before posting stuff like that. It's almost impossible to come out every week and do what you do best, even Peyton has a weeks off, even Brees has weeks off. We've only had 1 perfect team in the history of the NFL (not counting the old NFL teams) that has had a perfect season.

But, I guess unrealistic expectations, are the only thing expected in Niner land. No wonder so many teams hate our fan base, because most have no clue wtf they are talking about.
[ Edited by TheG0RE49er on Jan 3, 2010 at 10:48 PM ]
  • rob28
  • Veteran

it's not all pass rush, it's also how our secondary covers. We play so much zone that elite qb's like favre, mcnabb and ryan can pick that apart without time to throw.
An overall great performance for a young team. Now we need a nother player or two who can add some speed to the backfield, and more conistency to the pass rush. I hope Brooks can develop into a 3 down LB. I also hope Briggs can contribute to our team as well. I would like to see a quality pass rushing OLB be added to the team in the draft. Maturity and speed will be a great help. Need a replacement for M. Lewis and Roman. May need a replacement for Harolson. Brooks was a gift surprise.

Not to mention that that defense has been together for awhile, and have former defensive player of the year in Harrison, and another great pass rusher in Woodley.

And they are the top sacking team in the league...but you don't hear people complaining about them...seriously you guys need to watch more football before posting stuff like that. It's almost impossible to come out every week and do what you do best, even Peyton has a weeks off, even Brees has weeks off. We've only had 1 perfect team in the history of the NFL (not counting the old NFL teams) that has had a perfect season.

But, I guess unrealistic expectations, are the only thing expected in Niner land. No wonder so many teams hate our fan base, because most have no clue wtf they are talking about.

Bunch of fools just spewing out the neck with no basis for their arguments. We suck cause they say so.

• brandonjg
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by kronik:
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=SACKS&season=2009&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

Only Pittsburg (47) and Minnesota (48) had more sacks than us. We are tied for 3rd with Miami and Philadelphia with 44 sacks.

Yes, we got sacks against weak teams, but Pittsburg, Minnesota, Miami, Philadelphia also got alot of sacks against weak teams as well. It all evens out at the end. PS: We also got alot of sacks against Indy, ARI and Minnesota.

ball dont lie
We have an excellent defense. Throw out the fiasco in Atl and we are near the top, (which makes the offense ineptitude that much more frustrating). That said, if the value is there when we draft, we could still use another pass rusher.

but no one needs to gameplan for our pass rushers. Meaning, you probably won't single block James Harrison or DeMarcus Ware every down, sometimes teams will commit a TE/RB with an OT because they fear him so much. Our edge rushers are always single blocked, giving them more one on one matchups to exploit, but it also gives the QB more options.
If i were drafting for us this year id take a right tackle,and then a gamebreaking speedster with that second first rounder who can also return kicks..second round id look for a guard and a safety. These things and the order would of course change if i landed certain free agents!
Im still not sold on our pass rushers though! if a stud pass rusher was available either in the draft of free agency,you gotta take him,but i dont see any in college or free agency this year.
Haralson was still a major disappointment
It's a misleading stat...they've come mostly in bunches. We need a more consistent pass rush...even with fewer actual sacks. One thing that's so impressive about Justin Smith is his total package...QB hurries, hits and sacks. IF we had a bookend DE, it'd help our overall pass rush, as would a stud rusher.
Share 49ersWebzone