LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

End of the Season Post: On the Cap Outlook

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by bret:
AB, assuming there's an uncapped year, doesn't it make sense to sign free agents with big first year salaries (rather than bonuses that are pro-rated) and lock up whoever we can (Willis, Daivs, Franklin) with big first year salaries?

I can envision signing a Reggie Bush after he's cut with a big first year salary, but a small pro-rated bonus.

Am I wrong to think this way?

nope correct on this, it would make lots of sense to front load a deal or 2 this offseason for 2010.
Originally posted by VA49er:
We might actually benefit from an uncapped year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/29/AR2009122901370.html

"There also would be new free agency rules that would go into effect automatically for an uncapped season. A player would need six seasons of NFL service time to be eligible for unrestricted free agency, instead of the four seasons now required. Each team would be given an additional transition-player tag to use, along with its current allotment of one franchise player or transition player designation, to restrict the mobility of its players in free agency. And the top eight playoff teams could sign a free agent only to replace a lost player. According to the most recent figures available, 237 players would be eligible for unrestricted free agency this offseason in an uncapped system. An additional 203 will be restricted free agents under an uncapped system -- enabling their teams to retain them by matching any contract offers from other clubs -- instead of being eligible for unrestricted free agency this offseason. That group of 203 players who would lose some of their free agent mobility includes Washington Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell."

Anyone else wonder why we haven't signed some of our guys to extensions who are due yet? I don't know how this all works but I'm guessing that with an extra franchise tag and 4 year players automatically incuring an extra two years of RFA times it should be A easier for us to retain most of our players coming up due at a bargain to the team.

Additionally if the top 8 teams can't be "active" other than to resign their current players then that takes the "8 best teams" out of the bidding race. If you want to get paid AND you want to win then all of the mid tier teams like the 49ers might look a lot more attractive. So whoever does actually hit the market, the 49ers will have 8 less teams to compete with. Cut out the garbage squads and maybe we land some nice players.

Which of the players on our roster would suddenly NOT become URFA's if there is no CBA?

of our FA's, Brooks, Hudson and Baas would be RFA's.
Good to see you in your element again, AB. In a way, altho i hate for the season to end, i don't mind it so much anymore because i love reading your posts, always full of not just facts, but also well thot out ideas, and all are always interesting. Thanks AB, and please, keep 'em coming.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Good to see you in your element again, AB. In a way, altho i hate for the season to end, i don't mind it so much anymore because i love reading your posts, always full of not just facts, but also well thot out ideas, and all are always interesting. Thanks AB, and please, keep 'em coming.

you got it buddy.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by matt49er:
your the greatest AB! How much does the team have in cap space? after they extend Willis/Davis/Franklin and possibly Lawson/Goldston/Gore how much $ do you think the team will have to spend on FA's?

I expect and Hope, we re-sign Willis and Davis, and give them a 10M(Willis) and 5M(Davis) roster bonuses in 2010, then a franchise tag will cost around 7-8M fotr Franklin.

Maybe 7M more for Goldson, Lawson, and Gore.

So i expect in the range of 25M to spend on FA's, take about 6M for Rooks, and we have 19M to spend, so, we can easily add a FA big name and a few quality 2nd tier guys.

thanks man. and hopefully we can get Clements to renegotiate his crazy salary and squeeze out 2 top tier FA's (Mankins and Peppers???) and a couple 2nd tier guys (R.Bush? other good veteran OT/OG?) we can only pray at this point the owners pony up the cash and S.Mac spends it wisely.
Dreamer
Originally posted by bret:
AB, assuming there's an uncapped year, doesn't it make sense to sign free agents with big first year salaries (rather than bonuses that are pro-rated) and lock up whoever we can (Willis, Daivs, Franklin) with big first year salaries?

I can envision signing a Reggie Bush after he's cut with a big first year salary, but a small pro-rated bonus.

Am I wrong to think this way?

nope correct on this, it would make lots of sense to front load a deal or 2 this offseason for 2010.

My question would be, as one of the lowest revenue teams in the NFL, and in the midst of costly stadium development plans . . . as well as a ballot measure campaign . . . do the Yorks have have enough cash in their coffers to frontload a bunch of big deals?
RB Thomas Clayton - Let him go.
WR Arnaz Battle - Reduced to special teams, let him go.
WR Isaac Bruce - Will retire.
OG David Baas - Will want more money than he's worth, let him go!
OT Barry Sims - Too old, let him go.
DE Derek Walker - Never heard of him, shouldn't be resigned.
NT Aubrayo Franklin - FRANCHISE TAG!
OLB Ahmad Brooks - RESIGN HIM!
ILB Matt Wilhelm - Let him go, McKillop will step up!
ILB Jeff Ulbrich - Will retire.
CB Walt Harris - Might want to return for another season, let him go!
CB Dre' Bly - Wouldn't mind seeing him return for a reasonable price.
CB Marcus Hudson - Not worth re-signing.
PK Ricky Schmitt - Nedney's the MAN!
PK Shane Andrus - See above.
Originally posted by susweel:
Isn't 2010 gonna be an uncapped year ????

scheduled, yes, do i think we will see a cap again, yes, will it be in 2011 and beyond, maybe.

But i pray there is a cap in 2010, we need it to survive. Or else we wont see many players added to the roster.

And the 2009 FA's are:

RB Thomas Clayton
WR Arnaz Battle
WR Isaac Bruce
OG David Baas
OT Barry Sims
DE Derek Walker
NT Aubrayo Franklin
OLB Ahmad Brooks
ILB Matt Wilhelm
ILB Jeff Ulbrich(Will retire)
CB Walt Harris
CB Dre' Bly
CB Marcus Hudson
PK Ricky Schmitt
PK Shane Andrus

As long as Sims, Franklin, and Brooks returns, I will be extremely happy; all the other guys are a dime in a dozen.
We need to extend Willis, Vernon, Lawson, Goldson

Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:

scheduled, yes, do i think we will see a cap again, yes, will it be in 2011 and beyond, maybe.

But i pray there is a cap in 2010, we need it to survive. Or else we wont see many players added to the roster.

And the 2009 FA's are:

RB Thomas Clayton
WR Arnaz Battle
WR Isaac Bruce
OG David Baas
OT Barry Sims

DE Derek Walker
NT Aubrayo Franklin
OLB Ahmad Brooks
ILB Matt Wilhelm

CB Walt Harris
CB Dre' Bly
CB Marcus Hudson
PK Ricky Schmitt
PK Shane Andrus

We need to retain these guys if we can.

Resigning Wilhem is a need? Are u his cousin?

And the 2009 FA's are:

RB Thomas Clayton
WR Arnaz Battle
WR Isaac Bruce
OG David Baas
OT Barry Sims
DE Derek Walker
NT Aubrayo Franklin
OLB Ahmad Brooks
ILB Matt Wilhelm
CB Walt Harris
CB Dre' Bly
CB Marcus Hudson
PK Ricky Schmitt
PK Shane Andrus
e
Please lock up Aubrayo, and Ahmed. Esp Aubrayo, he really stepped up at NT this year. If we loose him our budding D could fall apart.
AB, I think you're missing a digit on Tarrell Brown's salary number on the original post.

Thanks for always bringing insight to the numbers behind the team.

And the 2009 FA's are:

RB Thomas Clayton
WR Arnaz Battle
WR Isaac Bruce
OG David Baas
OT Barry Sims
DE Derek Walker
NT Aubrayo Franklin
OLB Ahmad Brooks
ILB Matt Wilhelm
CB Walt Harris
CB Dre' Bly
CB Marcus Hudson
PK Ricky Schmitt
PK Shane Andrus

Ahmad Brooks, Barry Sims and Aubrayo Franklin need to be resigned.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

And the 2009 FA's are:

RB Thomas Clayton
WR Arnaz Battle
WR Isaac Bruce
OG David Baas
OT Barry Sims
DE Derek Walker
NT Aubrayo Franklin
OLB Ahmad Brooks
ILB Matt Wilhelm
CB Walt Harris
CB Dre' Bly
CB Marcus Hudson
PK Ricky Schmitt
PK Shane Andrus

Ahmad Brooks, Barry Sims and Aubrayo Franklin need to be resigned.

never thought I would ever hear that
Share 49ersWebzone