LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 284 users in the forums

End of the Season Post: On the Cap Outlook

Shop Find 49ers gear online
some interesting 2010 figures for the Niners.

We have 25 Players making 1M or more.

of those 25, 20 IMO are considered starters heading into the 2010 offseason

They are.

QB Alex Smith, RB Frank Gore, FB Moran Norris, WR Michael Crabtree, TE Vernon Davis, C Eric Heitmann, OT Joe Staley, OT Adam Snyder, DE Justin Smith, DE Isaac Sopoaga, OLB Manny Lawson, OLB Parys Haralson, ILB Patrick Willis, ILB Takeo Spikes, CB Nate Clements, CB Shawntae Spencer, SS Michael Lewis, PK Joe Nedney, P Andy Lee and LS Brian Jennings

while 1 is a key members of the offense(Delanie Walker), while 1 has potential(Kentwan Balmer) but needs to show it. 1 was a big signing(Brandon Jones) and needs more PT, and the other 2(Shaun Hill and Demetric Evans) are Backups.

Biggest Bargains outside of the 1M+ mark are.

Josh Morgan, at $496,500K
Ray McDonald, $698,125K
Tarell Brown, $94,250K (He might be making over a mill, not sure on exact structure of his extension)
Dashon Goldson, $653,221K(Will be over a mill soon once he gets extension)

Now of the 25 over a Mill, only Alex, Shaun Hill, Vernon, Demetric Evans and Manny Lawson are FA's after 2009.

the only other key 2010 FA's are, Goldson, McDonald, J.Hill

So, our 2011 FA's are scheduled to be.

QB Alex Smith
QB Shaun Hill
FB Brit Miller
WR Jason Hill
TE Vernon Davis (Likely Franchised if no extension in 2010 OffSeason)
OG Tony Wragge
OT Chris Patrick
DE Ray McDonals
DE Demetric Evans
OLB Manny Lawson
OLB Diyral Briggs
ILB Takeo Spikes
FS Dashon Goldson
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Isn't 2010 gonna be an uncapped year ????
your the greatest AB! How much does the team have in cap space? after they extend Willis/Davis/Franklin and possibly Lawson/Goldston/Gore how much $ do you think the team will have to spend on FA's?
I gather from that we are in pretty good shape.
Originally posted by susweel:

scheduled, yes, do i think we will see a cap again, yes, will it be in 2011 and beyond, maybe.

But i pray there is a cap in 2010, we need it to survive. Or else we wont see many players added to the roster.

And the 2009 FA's are:

RB Thomas Clayton
WR Arnaz Battle
WR Isaac Bruce
OG David Baas
OT Barry Sims
DE Derek Walker
NT Aubrayo Franklin
OLB Ahmad Brooks
ILB Matt Wilhelm
ILB Jeff Ulbrich(Will retire)
CB Walt Harris
CB Dre' Bly
CB Marcus Hudson
PK Ricky Schmitt
PK Shane Andrus
Originally posted by matt49er:
your the greatest AB! How much does the team have in cap space? after they extend Willis/Davis/Franklin and possibly Lawson/Goldston/Gore how much $ do you think the team will have to spend on FA's?

I expect and Hope, we re-sign Willis and Davis, and give them a 10M(Willis) and 5M(Davis) roster bonuses in 2010, then a franchise tag will cost around 7-8M fotr Franklin.

Maybe 7M more for Goldson, Lawson, and Gore.

So i expect in the range of 25M to spend on FA's, take about 6M for Rooks, and we have 19M to spend, so, we can easily add a FA big name and a few quality 2nd tier guys.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

scheduled, yes, do i think we will see a cap again, yes, will it be in 2011 and beyond, maybe.

But i pray there is a cap in 2010, we need it to survive. Or else we wont see many players added to the roster.

And the 2009 FA's are:

RB Thomas Clayton
WR Arnaz Battle
WR Isaac Bruce
OG David Baas
OT Barry Sims
DE Derek Walker
NT Aubrayo Franklin
OLB Ahmad Brooks
ILB Matt Wilhelm
CB Walt Harris
CB Dre' Bly
CB Marcus Hudson
PK Ricky Schmitt
PK Shane Andrus

Then it make sense to sign your good players to extensions and have the majority of the big money due in 2010.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

yes indeed.

yes indeed.

Thanks AB! Let's fire Scotty for putting us in such good shape!
We might actually benefit from an uncapped year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/29/AR2009122901370.html

"There also would be new free agency rules that would go into effect automatically for an uncapped season. A player would need six seasons of NFL service time to be eligible for unrestricted free agency, instead of the four seasons now required. Each team would be given an additional transition-player tag to use, along with its current allotment of one franchise player or transition player designation, to restrict the mobility of its players in free agency. And the top eight playoff teams could sign a free agent only to replace a lost player. According to the most recent figures available, 237 players would be eligible for unrestricted free agency this offseason in an uncapped system. An additional 203 will be restricted free agents under an uncapped system -- enabling their teams to retain them by matching any contract offers from other clubs -- instead of being eligible for unrestricted free agency this offseason. That group of 203 players who would lose some of their free agent mobility includes Washington Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell."

Anyone else wonder why we haven't signed some of our guys to extensions who are due yet? I don't know how this all works but I'm guessing that with an extra franchise tag and 4 year players automatically incuring an extra two years of RFA times it should be A easier for us to retain most of our players coming up due at a bargain to the team.

Additionally if the top 8 teams can't be "active" other than to resign their current players then that takes the "8 best teams" out of the bidding race. If you want to get paid AND you want to win then all of the mid tier teams like the 49ers might look a lot more attractive. So whoever does actually hit the market, the 49ers will have 8 less teams to compete with. Cut out the garbage squads and maybe we land some nice players.

Which of the players on our roster would suddenly NOT become URFA's if there is no CBA?
[ Edited by VA49er on Jan 3, 2010 at 6:56 PM ]

And the 2009 FA's are:

RB Thomas Clayton
WR Arnaz Battle
WR Isaac Bruce
OG David Baas
OT Barry Sims

DE Derek Walker
NT Aubrayo Franklin
OLB Ahmad Brooks
ILB Matt Wilhelm

CB Walt Harris
CB Dre' Bly
CB Marcus Hudson
PK Ricky Schmitt
PK Shane Andrus

We need to retain these guys if we can.

Great job!
  • bret
  • Veteran
AB, assuming there's an uncapped year, doesn't it make sense to sign free agents with big first year salaries (rather than bonuses that are pro-rated) and lock up whoever we can (Willis, Daivs, Franklin) with big first year salaries?

I can envision signing a Reggie Bush after he's cut with a big first year salary, but a small pro-rated bonus.

Am I wrong to think this way?
Thanks AB83Rules your posts are always appreciated
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:

And the 2009 FA's are:

RB Thomas Clayton
WR Arnaz Battle
WR Isaac Bruce
OG David Baas
OT Barry Sims

DE Derek Walker
NT Aubrayo Franklin
OLB Ahmad Brooks
ILB Matt Wilhelm

CB Walt Harris
CB Dre' Bly
CB Marcus Hudson
PK Ricky Schmitt
PK Shane Andrus

We need to retain these guys if we can.

We should have at least one franchise tag if not two to use depending on what happens with the CBA. Franklin and Brooks are not going anywhere.
Share 49ersWebzone