LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 379 users in the forums

Changes coach Sing will make?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm not sure he'll make coaching changes...although he could hire his own OL coach.

One change he needs to make is to learn from his mistakes...too often, our team's just not ready to play, especially in the 1st half of games. That's primarily the head coach's responsibility. He also needs to improve his game/clock management. No more excuses for getting out-coached.

In my mind, only Staley and Heitmann are OL fixtures...I know Rachal's seemingly one of his guys, but I'm not convinced he's up to the job. So, I'd say he's got his work cut out to improve the OL...but, improve it he must for us to be a playoff team.
It wouldn't bother me a bit to use both 1st rd picks on OL (ideally one OT, one OG, although it's a bit early for an OG). Needs to get guys who can run and pass block...and who're mobile enough to pull and lead screens, etc.

He needs to fix the ST issues...neither KR nor PR are good enough. Either trade w/Browns to get Cribbs or draft Gilyard...either move would improve things dramatically.

He needs to improve the RB corps...behind FG there's not much, and that just won't cut it. All the good teams are 3-4 deep in quality...and we're not even close to that. Need a big RB...Gerhart's the first to come to mind. He and Gore could be a lethal combo. Also need more speed in the backfield...

He needs to upgrade DE (opposite J. Smith), get a top pass rusher, play Brooks more, draft a CB and get some S help.

Last, but definitely not least, he needs to develop a killer instinct...to bury teams when we get up on them and not be so dang conservative!
Originally posted by titan:
Now that the season is over in your views what changes do you think are going to happen? What will our team look like in 2010? In my opinion the biggest difference next year will be our O-Line, it's the way he kept forcing the run first half to evaluate the Oline. I don't think they passed today.

“The status quo is not acceptable,” general manager Bruce Allan said in a statement released by the team. “I felt it was necessary to not waste a moment of time to begin building this team into a winner.”

This is what our owner should be saying as well, however, the status quo is acceptable here.... No changes will be made.

At least the Redskins get it.
Originally posted by Rikimaru03:
  • upgrade at punt returner
  • new o-lineman via draft and FA
  • secondary help
  • giving Brooks more PT over Parys
  • Hill over Morgan
  • really look at the offense and see what you have, and from there build your identity. dont try and force one

two things parys is better than Lawson, i would give Brooks more time than Lawson.
hill is not better than Morgan , they can compete in OTA and lett the chips fall were they may !
Foerster, IMO, would be the only coach that gets fired.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I'm sorry to say, but until Jimmy Raye is gone we will go nowhere. He just isnt a good game planner or play caller. He might know a ton, but doesnt know how to apply it. Its like the diffrence between knowledge and wisdom. Knowledge is information, wisdom is knowing what to do with it.

Who would you choose to replace Raye as our new OC without affecting the continuity of our offense.

Maybe the QB coach, who will replace Jimmy in a year or two anyway. He runs the same system. In fact, Jimmy hasn't made his own offense. I'm pretty sure his O is used by a number of OCs we could pick one of them. It's not his offense thats the problem. Its the sequence.

P.S. I want continuity, but not at any cost. Raye has been in the league over 20yr and NEVER been successful. Why would it change now?
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jan 4, 2010 at 8:27 PM ]
Originally posted by posterX:
Now that the season is over in your views what changes do you think are going to happen? What will our team look like in 2010? In my opinion the biggest difference next year will be our O-Line, it's the way he kept forcing the run first half to evaluate the Oline. I don't think they passed today.

“The status quo is not acceptable,” general manager Bruce Allan said in a statement released by the team. “I felt it was necessary to not waste a moment of time to begin building this team into a winner.”

This is what our owner should be saying as well, however, the status quo is acceptable here.... No changes will be made.

At least the Redskins get it.

...get what? You mean the same Redskins that go out every year and waste cap space on over the hill FA's? Only to NOT make the playoffs year in and out?

.....Maybe you should wait until after they post a winning record before making statements like that.
I think Forester gets the ax, and he shakes up the OL. But these are pretty much given at this point. Also, I wouldn't mind a real compliment to Gore (sorry Coffee), a solid pass rushing OLB, and more depth at Safety.

Dare I say it, but this team doesn't really need much to get into the playoffs.
[ Edited by baltien on Jan 4, 2010 at 8:35 PM ]
O-line and Return man are the obvious choices! Maybe strong safety with more coverage skills too...
ok...OL is priority one...but more than most of you think...neither Baas or snyder should be starters. Baas was blown out often this season. Every time gore was tackled at Smith's feet it was a Baas blow bye. And he is too slow to effectively pull anand get to the second level effectively. We need two new OL starters for sure.

I agree we need 3-4 RB and a FB that can run/catch. But the biggest RB need is a speed guy (it could have been Kory Sheets) that can stretch the field horizontally. Defenses are not playing us honest becuase we don't have the ability to get to the corner as it is now...

We also need a speed WR with Ashlie Lelie type speed to stretch the field vertically.

Then the offense can open up...but not until then. Stretch the field and attack attack attack....
Hopefully he fires Forrester. Then shakes up the Oline with drafting one starter and bringing in one or two through free agency.

I would love to see CJ Spiller in Niner uniform and it kills two birds with one stone. KR/PR and 3rd down back. Spiller has breakaway speed and is shifty. A good compliment to Gore.

With Brooks emerging late in the season I think our pass rushing need is not as great as we originally thought it was.

The big thing is gonna be what happens with the CBA. If 2010 turns out to be uncapped then there is gonna be some problems with Free Agency because players would need to have six years of service AND not under contract instead of 4 before becoming unrestricted free agents. Teams would still have right of first refusal on players with 4 years of service. Thats huge because alot of free agents woun't hit the open market because of this and would require compensation in the form of 2 first rounders. So those of you that want Reggie Bush, in the words of the all mighty Lee Corso " Not so fast my friend".

• BobS
  • Veteran
You guys hoping for CJ Spiller are dreaming, he will be gone by the time the Niners pick at 13, and even if he was still on the board they aren't going to use their top pick on a running back.
Originally posted by ninerfan:
The O-Line was on life support most of this season, while it won't help from a continuity standpoint I think we need at least 2 new quality offensive linemen added this offseason. I'm not sure who would have to go to make room but the offensive line is the key component to having a dominant offense. We have 2 first rounders I say we spend at least one on the O-Line. Since I live in Oregon I'm only able to see the niners when they play the Seahawks or on primetime games, can anyone tell me whether or not Baas is worth keeping or not I know we drafted him like 33rd overall but I've heard he's been somewhat of a disappointment.

Baas has his moments, I think he is our best run blocker when he is pulling! He needs to be more consistent and yes he can stay!

Staff seems to like Heitmann alot but I would like to see Baas move to C as well....Also I think adding a player like Iupati from Idaho to LG would give us 3 interior linemen with some nastyness to them...
Originally posted by cNiner:
Originally posted by Rikimaru03:
  • upgrade at punt returner
  • new o-lineman via draft and FA
  • secondary help
  • giving Brooks more PT over Parys
  • Hill over Morgan
  • really look at the offense and see what you have, and from there build your identity. dont try and force one

two things parys is better than Lawson, i would give Brooks more time than Lawson.
hill is not better than Morgan , they can compete in OTA and lett the chips fall were they may !

Nah Manny had more sacks than Haralson and he's better vs the run and coverage. Parys is horrible vs the run and he can't drop in coverage well. I agree with riki on everything but Hill over Morgan.
Anyone know if there are any really good OL coaches that are available?
LG through free agency
RT through draft
Mike Johnson as OC
Raye as special assistant
Add to team speed aka CJ Spiller
65%Spread 35%Smashmouth
Share 49ersWebzone