There are 191 users in the forums

Changes coach Sing will make?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Scot is the personnel guy, he brings them in or gets rid of them.
Oline in FA for sure
I think we can almost write off any major FA moves so for me he has to look at:

O line coaching change.
Adjustments in the secondary, looking at Bly, Harris or Clements towards safety.
Get Jimmy Raye to open the Offensive playbook.
Pay top $ for Top O Linemen in the draft
Bring Nate Davis along, 3 way competition in the summer
Re-sign Baas and Sims, even if for backups, Sims has been decent, Baas improving.
Prioritize Willis and VD deals
Originally posted by susweel:
Things he SHOULD do. In order of importance.

#1 Get another QB. Give Alex a chance but have a back up plan for if(when) he fails.

#2 upgrade Oline. New RT and one new Guard

#3 get a better return man, who can also be 3rd down back

#4 Get another pass rusher

#5 replace Michael Lewis at safety

#6 draft another CB

#7 replace Norris at FB

THIS.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:

#1 Get another QB. Give Alex a chance but have a back up plan for if(when) he fails.

#6 draft another CB

#7 replace Norris at FB

THIS.

I would switch 1 and 2, as I think our line is top priority! I would like to see them get a FA QB that is reliable and could easily surpass Smith if he happens to falter...
All new ol but he will keep C and LT, maybe SS faster player to rotate with lewis on passing downs. On D....keep everything else the same
Originally posted by Rikimaru03:
  • upgrade at punt returner
  • new o-lineman via draft and FA
  • secondary help
  • giving Brooks more PT over Parys
  • Hill over Morgan
  • really look at the offense and see what you have, and from there build your identity. dont try and force one

Exactly what i would see as the right moves
Scot and Sing need to make a ballsy front-office move and fire Chris Foerster, along with that dips**t Jerry Sullivan. Seriously, I will not have a real positive outlook on this team with those 2 bringing our offensive talent up.
3 major needs a couple of small needs to put this team in position to contend
1-OL this team needs 2-3 new players via FA/Draft

2-Secondary help, Clements return will help but we need to either bring in a top flight FA or spend a 1st round pick on a DB

3-PR/KR we must get a new PR, Morgan could theroritcally stay at KR. I would like to see us sign Reggie Bush or spend a 2nd round pick on a speedy type RB that doubles as a PR. I like our WRs, we need depth at RB.

Imagine this team with a fixed OL and defensive backfield!

I do believe the team still needs that superstar passrusher but it's not a huge priority. Brooks very well could be that guy and our DL is top notch.

A new versitale FB that we can use in multiple formations would be nice also. M.Norris comes into the game and you know what's happening, a Leonard Weaver type of guy would be great.
  • secondary help
  • Hill over Morgan
  • really look at the offense and see what you have, and from there build your identity. dont try and force one

Agree, the 49ers offense needs to set an identity & draft for it. Also get players in FA to fit that style

Oline and special teams needs help. Raye needs to add some wrinkles to his offense but we really need the continuity so he should stay.
  • Colorado49er
  • Info N/A

#6 draft another CB

#7 replace Norris at FB

Maybe a 4th pick or later for QB...but probably not a high pick or an FA...I think the team will allow at least one more year for Alex to demonstrate he can win..in the meantime develop Davis and one more QB...Hill is gone. If either Bradford or Clausen drops to 13th...they will have an interesting decision...but that's unlikely. The OL is a need for sure and they should have some choices in the draft...but I also think another WR...the offense was still in the bottom 5 this year...Bruce and Battle are gone. Crabtree looks like the real deal...but then after that...it's Morgan, Jones, and Hill...neither one demonstrated consistency.
With respect to the pass rush...It seems, with the right schemes, personnel on the filed, and play calling...they rushed the passer fairly well this year...and Brooks' improvement at the end of the year was encouraging...so I don't it's a much of a dire priority as it has been in previous years. That being said... I think adding more speed somewhere in the front 7 would be the priority. Getting someone else in thre as fast as and as effective as Willis would be scary. I would place CB at #2 priority right behind OT...Harris (maybe Bly too) are gone, and Clements maybe has one more year...and CB is usually a difficult position to fill. Agree with the need at SS. KR/PR is a priority too....we need John Taylor back! Also need a PK is Nedney is done.
Address the line. Staley and Heitman are good, and Chilo is to young to give up on; but Baas at least needs competiton and a new RT is needed. I also would like a really fast 3rd or 4th Wr/Return guy as well as an extra pass rusher and added speed in the secondary
  • secondary help
  • Hill over Morgan

Agreed with all of the above except Hill. As far as Hill goes he seems to produce but just never gets the ball. He played in 11 games, had 9 catches for 90 yards and 2 tds (both against TEN). Now, I would probably keep him at 3 but we need to go to him more.

We need to air it out more. Good things happen when we stop being so conservative. Look at today's game... we where in a dog fight until we stopped being so dang conservative. It probably cost us a game or two this year.
We do those things and we should be able to go into the playoffs and probably even win one or more.

If we really want to make a run.... our play calling has been bad and conservative at times but I would not object one bit to adding another play maker to our offense. If we have enough playmakers even Raye can't hold us down. We have some but look at the Eagles, they have 6-7 plus. Maybe another TE (lots of good ones in the draft), maybe another RB like Spiller or McCluster or even Reggie Bush. We could use anyone who can move the ball on 3rd downs. I am sick of seeing 1,2,3 for 15 on 3rd downs. That will not win you ball games.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 3, 2010 at 10:02 PM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
I hope he gives Staley a look at RT,
Depends on who they draft. First round pick will be an OT
Quote:
and Chilo a look at LG;
Why do you think he would be better at LG?

Quote:
allows Nate to compete with Alex;
It will be Smith's job to lose. Nate Davis will have to have an unbelievable camp to start ahead of Smith.
Quote:
gives Goldson a look at SS instead,
He is 20 pounds too light to play SS. After some very poor performances at FA, he began to look better in the final 3 games, albeit against weak teams.

Quote:
if we draft Berry;
Utterly no chance at all Berry will be available to the 49ers. Would have to package both first and a player/4th round pick to move up that high to draft Berry.
Quote:
looks for a new FB,
5th round pick should do it. Plenty of those types around
Quote:
and changes our KR/PR.
YES! That will happen. Other than OL, KR/PR is the next most obvious need. 4th round pick.
Share 49ersWebzone