Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Yeah we're good, but this was against the Rams s**tty line.

I guess the sacks against Indianapolis, Minnesota and Arizona don't mean squat either.

Whoa there tex, let's keep it in perspective:

The Rams ran out of offensive guards when rookie Roger Allen III, making his first career start after being undrafted out of Division II Missouri Western, injured his left knee in the second quarter. The flip card listed Mark Setterstrom, out for the season with a left triceps injury that will require surgery, as the backup at two positions, while starting tackle Adam Goldberg was listed as the backup at two positions.

http://www.sacbee.com/830/story/2435039.html#mi_rss=49ers

It sounds like this guy was playing better than Alex Boone.

Yes, Roger sucks, but isn't that what good teams do against bad teams? What do you expect 20+ sacks? I doubt there are many other teams this year that had 8 sacks in one game.

This is why Ninertalk can be so frustrating... there is NO MIDDLE GROUND. NO! I was not expecting 20 sacks. I'm just saying 8 sacks against the WORST team in football, AND against an injured OL is something someone would EXPECT. Getting 8 sacks against the Rams doesn't make this a GOOD TEAM. Perspective. Simple.

The Rams. Geeze. All I'm saying.

Sorry, I meant to say a good defense, because the offense sucks. It's hard to argue that this defense is not good; I dare you.

Because you have your list of stats ready to quote from NFL.com? Here's something to argue:

Are we a CLUTCH defense?

Hmmm. That's not a stat based argument now is it.

Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed.
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
Not too shabby

3.5 by Justin Smith.

At least we have a great D to look forward to next season, I hope we draft Berry, and we will have the best D in the NFL; as we are a top5 as of now.

We need a pass-rushing OLB more than we need a S

Ahmad Brooks, the defensive front 7 is probably the most complete unit on the entire team, so im not sure what you are basing this on..ESPECIALLY with the emergence of Brooks..and Manny has only gotten better as the experience racks up...

it's hard to find fault in the secondary, but Michael Lewis will likely start to lose some serviceability, and due to that a young safety is likely a point of interest...however Berry likely won't make it out of the top 5, which leaves Taylor Mays to target, who some think isn't enough of a play maker in regards to forcing turnovers, however what he does have...and has been a big issue for this team over the last few years is total speed at the safety position....Goldson has proven he has it, but he cant cover the entire field...Mays would absolutely be the fastest player on defense for us...yes, even faster than Mr. Willis..and can easily play to that enforcer type roll on the strong side with his size/speed....however i still can't deny my personal man-crush on Major Wright...who will be available anywhere from 2-4 depending on his combine performance.

After that....with Clements sliding, and Bly likely leaving...Corner is easily a position we could possibly address in the 1st round..

Addressing RT is something that needs be done, however just like Berry...the two Elite tackles in Okung and Williams will likely be off the board by the time we pick, and taking any other tackle in the middle of the first with all of the talent that will be on the board would be a serious reach...

some suggest going OG in the first....Baluga would again be a slight reach in the middle of the first with all of the talent available at those spots, and it very much so seems Singletary like's Chilo Rachal's progression and David Baas isn't going anywhere..

That leaves going after a shifty back in guys like Spiller and Best, or similar type receivers who can contribute greatly in the area of this team that is without a doubt the worst....the return game..

Bottom line we need our own Suggs, Ware, Harrison, etc. we don't have a 10 sacks guy, we need one to put our defense over the top. Clements is still solid, he just got hurt and had one horrendous game, Lewis is fine on 1st and 2nd down, we just can't have em' in pass coverage. We need an Eric Norwood more than a Eric Berry.

I guess the sacks against Indianapolis, Minnesota and Arizona don't mean squat either.

The Rams ran out of offensive guards when rookie Roger Allen III, making his first career start after being undrafted out of Division II Missouri Western, injured his left knee in the second quarter. The flip card listed Mark Setterstrom, out for the season with a left triceps injury that will require surgery, as the backup at two positions, while starting tackle Adam Goldberg was listed as the backup at two positions.

Yes, Roger sucks, but isn't that what good teams do against bad teams? What do you expect 20+ sacks? I doubt there are many other teams this year that had 8 sacks in one game.

This is why Ninertalk can be so frustrating... there is NO MIDDLE GROUND. NO! I was not expecting 20 sacks. I'm just saying 8 sacks against the WORST team in football, AND against an injured OL is something someone would EXPECT. Getting 8 sacks against the Rams doesn't make this a GOOD TEAM. Perspective. Simple.

Sorry, I meant to say a good defense, because the offense sucks. It's hard to argue that this defense is not good; I dare you.

Because you have your list of stats ready to quote from NFL.com? Here's something to argue:

Are we a CLUTCH defense?

We made some clutch plays on defense this year, but most importantly we dominated early a lot. Now, if our sorry ass offense would actually put up some points with the turn overs that we are creating, or with the good field position we have half of the time, maybe our defense wouldn't have to bail us out every time. How about the offense starts bailing out the defense? Has that happened this season? Our defense has won way more games than our offense has, that's pretty clutch in my book, and many others.
Not too shabby

3.5 by Justin Smith.

At least we have a great D to look forward to next season, I hope we draft Berry, and we will have the best D in the NFL; as we are a top5 as of now.

Ahmad Brooks, the defensive front 7 is probably the most complete unit on the entire team, so im not sure what you are basing this on..ESPECIALLY with the emergence of Brooks..and Manny has only gotten better as the experience racks up...

it's hard to find fault in the secondary, but Michael Lewis will likely start to lose some serviceability, and due to that a young safety is likely a point of interest...however Berry likely won't make it out of the top 5, which leaves Taylor Mays to target, who some think isn't enough of a play maker in regards to forcing turnovers, however what he does have...and has been a big issue for this team over the last few years is total speed at the safety position....Goldson has proven he has it, but he cant cover the entire field...Mays would absolutely be the fastest player on defense for us...yes, even faster than Mr. Willis..and can easily play to that enforcer type roll on the strong side with his size/speed....however i still can't deny my personal man-crush on Major Wright...who will be available anywhere from 2-4 depending on his combine performance.

After that....with Clements sliding, and Bly likely leaving...Corner is easily a position we could possibly address in the 1st round..

Addressing RT is something that needs be done, however just like Berry...the two Elite tackles in Okung and Williams will likely be off the board by the time we pick, and taking any other tackle in the middle of the first with all of the talent that will be on the board would be a serious reach...

some suggest going OG in the first....Baluga would again be a slight reach in the middle of the first with all of the talent available at those spots, and it very much so seems Singletary like's Chilo Rachal's progression and David Baas isn't going anywhere..

That leaves going after a shifty back in guys like Spiller and Best, or similar type receivers who can contribute greatly in the area of this team that is without a doubt the worst....the return game..

Bottom line we need our own Suggs, Ware, Harrison, etc. we don't have a 10 sacks guy, we need one to put our defense over the top. Clements is still solid, he just got hurt and had one horrendous game, Lewis is fine on 1st and 2nd down, we just can't have em' in pass coverage. We need an Eric Norwood more than a Eric Berry.

Puff, puff pass...you're f**king up the rotation man.
Not too shabby

3.5 by Justin Smith.

Well id expect going after guys like Suggs and Peppers this offseason with the whole CBA thing happening, and Jed going into his first offseason likely with Eddie D's advice a simple phone call away.
Not too shabby

3.5 by Justin Smith.

Yes, Mays has speed. But what's the use of having speed when u don't wrap up in tackle attempts? What's the use of speed when you take horrible angles in both runs and passes? What's the use of speed when you don't make any plays? If he was a better tackler, I'd be happy to have him be our SS of the future. But since he sucks at the most important and basic skill of any defender, I think I would pass.
[ Edited by kronik on Jan 3, 2010 at 3:08 PM ]

Are we a CLUTCH defense?

We made some clutch plays on defense this year, but most importantly we dominated early a lot. Now, if our sorry ass offense would actually put up some points with the turn overs that we are creating, or with the good field position we have half of the time, maybe our defense wouldn't have to bail us out every time. How about the offense starts bailing out the defense? Has that happened this season? Our defense has won way more games than our offense has, that's pretty clutch in my book, and many others.

Again I guess that's again has to do with expectations. We've invested a LOT more in draft picks and FA on the defensive side of the ball than we have on offense. I would expect the D to be the better unit at this point. However, it's not like the O hasn't done enough to win a game or three.

Clutch would be not letting the 5th string WR running free behind the secondary with seconds left on the clock when you're winning the game. Don't get me wrong I love our D and the O needs to play a lot better, but just as with the Lions game, the sacks and pressure show up against the losing teams and rarely show up against the better teams or CLUTCH when we need to make a play to get into the playoffs (Seattle, Philadelphia, etc...)

We got pressure against the Colts, when no other team even sacked Peyton twice in one game, how about AZ aren't they a good team? Vikings? We shut down Peterson, and shut down Favre besides a miracle play. I agree the defense could've done a little more in other games, but you can't expect greatness week in and out, unless your the '72 Dolphins.

This D came a long way since Sing took over, and hopefully next year they get even better, which is very possible. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Are we a CLUTCH defense?

Again I guess that's again has to do with expectations. We've invested a LOT more in draft picks and FA on the defensive side of the ball than we have on offense. I would expect the D to be the better unit at this point. However, it's not like the O hasn't done enough to win a game or three.

Clutch would be not letting the 5th string WR running free behind the secondary with seconds left on the clock when you're winning the game. Don't get me wrong I love our D and the O needs to play a lot better, but just as with the Lions game, the sacks and pressure show up against the losing teams and rarely show up against the better teams or CLUTCH when we need to make a play to get into the playoffs (Seattle, Philadelphia, etc...)

We got pressure against the Colts, when no other team even sacked Peyton twice in one game, how about AZ aren't they a good team? Vikings? We shut down Peterson, and shut down Favre besides a miracle play. I agree the defense could've done a little more in other games, but you can't expect greatness week in and out, unless your the '72 Dolphins.

This D came a long way since Sing took over, and hopefully next year they get even better, which is very possible. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Again, everything argued in hyperbole and I'm not saying that at all. Either it's our D or the 72 Miami Dolphins - nothing in between. Finally, this thread wasn't an overall critique of the defense, just the designation of "great" by getting 8 sacks against an injured 1-15 squad. Yes we got pressure on the teams you mentioned, but we also were blown out by others and didn't play well in certain other must-win games.Sorry bud, I just don't see it that way. I think throughout the history of the NFL, there have been okay, good, great and legendary defenses. It's not an either/or for me.

Agree GM. It's all about black and white in here, no gray, which is the opposite of reality. Regarding the sacks this year, I would guess that half of our sacks came in four games.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

Are we a CLUTCH defense?

Again, everything argued in hyperbole and I'm not saying that at all. Either it's our D or the 72 Miami Dolphins - nothing in between. Finally, this thread wasn't an overall critique of the defense, just the designation of "great" by getting 8 sacks against an injured 1-15 squad. Yes we got pressure on the teams you mentioned, but we also were blown out by others and didn't play well in certain other must-win games.Sorry bud, I just don't see it that way. I think throughout the history of the NFL, there have been okay, good, great and legendary defenses. It's not an either/or for me.

Agree GM. It's all about black and white in here, no gray, which is the opposite of reality. Regarding the sacks this year, I would guess that half of our sacks came in four games.

We are ranked 10th in sacks (in the NFL) before today's game. You're right there is no black and white, it's all about gray, people will only be happy when we are #1 in every f**king category in the NFL, even then people will still find s**t to complain about.
This defense will finish the season at least 5th in points allowed. Not to shabby.

AND 11 teams get to play them as well but we of all the teams kill them.....can you say 63-6 in 2 games.
  • rob28
  • Veteran
Not too shabby

3.5 by Justin Smith.

we need a cb more than a s and olb.
brooks is a good OLB that may be great if he plays a bit more. 6 sacks and 4th in the nfl in forced fumbles.....as a part time starter......can you say WOW! GOOD!
Originally posted by rob28:
Not too shabby

3.5 by Justin Smith.

we need a cb more than a s and olb.

Clements has a shoulder injury, not a death sentence. They guy had one bad game, Spencer proved he could be a decent #2, and plus Brown is being groomed to be the #2 guy and has shown flashes of that. And any true football knows it starts from the bottom up (ask the 2006 Giants they their best corners were a old Sam Madison and a rookie from Texas named Aaron Ross), ie I'd rather have a pass rush then a secondary, good thing is we kinda of have both already, at least a decent amount of both to be a winning team. Our pass rush isn't horrible neither is our secondary, especially with Clements and Goldston.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by English:
Nice signing by Scotty.

Praise for McCloughan is not allowed.

-9fA

i wish we had homgren.
Share 49ersWebzone