LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 404 users in the forums

49ers Playing in London in 2010???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
whats up with NFL teams playing in the UK??

are they trying to start a league in the UK?

Expansion
  • Admiral49
  • Info N/A
As a Niner fan in the UK who has been to the last 2 games over here i hate the idea, the atmosphere is terrible as a lot of people who turn up either don't support either team and/or don't really know what's going on. The NFL is only doing it for the money. Many UK fans love these games but i personally hate them as they take away the authentic "american-ness" of the games.

Saying all that, if the Niners do play over here, i'll be there!
Originally posted by Admiral49:
As a Niner fan in the UK who has been to the last 2 games over here i hate the idea, the atmosphere is terrible as a lot of people who turn up either don't support either team and/or don't really know what's going on. The NFL is only doing it for the money. Many UK fans love these games but i personally hate them as they take away the authentic "american-ness" of the games.

Fully agree having been to the first 2. If it's the Cowgirls then the crowd will be a 50/50 split, there'll be no homefield advantage at all. :(
Originally posted by BrianUKNiner:
Originally posted by Admiral49:

Fully agree having been to the first 2. If it's the Cowgirls then the crowd will be a 50/50 split, there'll be no homefield advantage at all. :(

Haha if its Niners-Cowgirls then I say the Niners market the hell out of the UK leading up to the game and become adopted as "Britain's Team" (hey, they do wear RED) and get the whole UK behind them in kicking 'America's team's ARSE!!!!
Makes sense, Candlestick is a s**t hole and it gives SF exposure to a new market.
Originally posted by Chief:
If that is a home game that is f**king wack.

who cares, we have a road game in OAK next year. thats as good as a home game. players get to sleep in their own beds. so its even.
Not that I support the move, but there are many reasons for this:
1. NFL doesn't lose much revenue since Candlestick rarely fully sells out.
2. Competitive game
3. The 49ers are one of the few 'international' franchises.

-9fA
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Jan 3, 2010 at 2:35 PM ]
Originally posted by BringBackTO:
Makes sense, Candlestick is a s**t hole and it gives SF exposure to a new market.

Actually, from what all my UK friends/servicemen buddies (stationed/living over in the UK) the 49ers are still pretty huge over there (Next to Miami, and Chicago), they've been one of Channel 4's signature teams since the 80's, and a lot of 49ers are often featured on there in information segments.

So this is a pure 'money' move.

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Not that I support the move, but there are many reasons for this:
1. NFL doesn't lose much revenue since Candlestick rarely fully sells out.
2. Competitive game
3. The 49ers are one of the few 'international' franchises.

-9fA

Yeah, and ironically we're still the number one (most rooted for) team in Japan!
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Jan 3, 2010 at 2:44 PM ]
i still question why they would send a west coast team all the way out to london. cant they make money with east coast teams? i can see that trip really draining us as a team, especially if we have to play a very good Eagles team.
Originally posted by Niners99:
i still question why they would send a west coast team all the way out to london. cant they make money with east coast teams? i can see that trip really draining us as a team, especially if we have to play a very good Eagles team.

Back in the early 90's the 49ers had a Euro-exhibition game almost every year. -And our German exhibition game in 1991 put the nail in Joe Montana's career as a 49er (a lot of people think the Giants/Championship game destroyed Joe, but to the contrary, Joe slipped and landed on his elbow in Germany, rupturing a nerve in his throwing arm), prompting the Steve Young Era to begin from that point forward.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Jan 3, 2010 at 2:53 PM ]

weak sauce

Goodell thinks there is money there. People only care about Soccer over there
Originally posted by Mike8016:

People only care about Soccer over there

Not strictly true, 3 games of selling out over 90,000 tickets would suggest there is but as I have stated several times elsewhere, I don't agree with it.

We have a fairly big % of people that hit the website I write for over here www.footballdiner.com

We'd be making a HUGE mistake hosting a "HOME" game over here unless it's to our advantage i.e. Rams, Hawks, Browns, Lions, Cards, Jags etc a neautral soil game with a neutral crowd (Dallas, Green Bay, Washington, Chicago) would be a monumental F**k up by our FO.
[ Edited by BrianUKNiner on Jan 3, 2010 at 3:12 PM ]
  • superkev49
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49erfaninPA:
That will be so disappointing if the 49ers let one of the premier opponents be played in London. They need a game like that to help sell season tickets, and to be true to the current season ticket holders. And if it is one of these two teams, it will likely be more of a home game for them, as PHL is closer and have loyal fans who will go to that game, and DAL has fans everywhere, like roaches.

No way. 49ers have way more fans than Philly in the UK. (it can't be Dallas now they've beat Philly)
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Expansion

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Share 49ersWebzone