LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

Playoff Hopes Dashed by Allen Rossum's Release: A Timeline

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This is my theory as to why the release of Allen Rossum cost the Niners a chance at the playoffs.

October 12, 2009
One day after the Niners got destroyed by the Atlanta Falcons, in a most puzzling move, the Niners released Allen Rossum (and not Michael Spurlock?), who didn't even play in that game due to a minor injury.
San Francisco 49ers Release Allen Rossum

"Top return man Allen Rossum was released by the San Francisco 49ers on Monday, creating roster room for newly signed rookie receiver Michael Crabtree. Rossum was surprised by the move when summoned to a meeting with coach Mike Singletary. He also spoke with general manager Scot McCloughan."

WEEK 7 - October 25th
Arnaz Battle fumbles away a punt return deep in San Francisco territory, resulting in an easy touchdown for Houston. The final score was decided by 3 points.

Houston Texans - 24 vs SF Niners - 21

WEEK 8 - November 1st
Nate Clements is put in to return punts after Battle potentially cost the Niners the previous week. He promptly breaks his shoulder, essentially ending his season.

There was another big fumble by Battle in a subsequent week, and then the momentum-changing botched reverse exchange by Battle and Brandon Jones.

Anyhow, my theory is that cutting Allen Rossum cost the Niners the playoffs in '09. In multiple games determined by 7 points or less, our punt return game, or lack thereof, cost the Niners valuable field position and in worst of all, points off turnovers. And losing Nate Clements while fielding punt returns was utter stupidity from a roster standpoint. While he had a couple pretty bad games, he was still one of our best cover men and was very good against the run. He might have affected the outcome of the game against Chris Johnson and the Titans and probably the Seahawks game as well.

The solution: draft CJ Spiller or sign/trade for Reggie Bush.
[ Edited by Psinex on Jan 2, 2010 at 1:23 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Rossum would have gotten injured even if we kept him. He was just too old.

The biggest mistake was not having a back up plan because you can't depend on a 35 year old return man.
I agree with you....rossum was solid and consistent. There's nothing we could do about it now. I hope we get Reggie bush though. It sucks that we missed the playoffs too.
Originally posted by susweel:

The biggest mistake was not having a back up plan because you can't depend on a 35 year old return man.

Spurlock. We released him too, battle was to important
why didn't we trade for Cribbs when we had the chance!
Can't disagree.

I don't think that Rossum would have stayed injured. He had a minor injury with a bye week to recover. He never fumbled and he didn't take many fair catches except when necessary. Battle almost always called fair catches (or in recent weeks, just letting the ball roll by and losing another 10-15 yards on the bounce) and very rarely ever took punts for more than 5+ yard returns.
This is a great example of why a good GM makes all the difference. It's not just the major or easy personnel moves early in the season but the seemingly minor ones too that separate the winners from the losers later.

You can't say that. He was fine until we cut him. And yes indeed, our downfall was the cut of Rossum.

I was one of the people that agreed until Battle muffed that punt.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
This is a great example of why a good GM makes all the difference. It's not just the major or easy personnel moves early in the season but the seemingly minor ones too that separate the winners from the losers later.

Your saying Scottie is not a good GM? I wonder if he was fired tomorrow how many teams would be courting him, answer,.............NONE, he is a miserable joke, but I am sure he came cheap.

Special Teams did have a negative effect in close games. Field position is so crucial, especially in games where the offense has trouble moving the ball. How many times has the offense started inside thier own 10, because the PR let the ball hit the field and bounce backwards. If we just had a PR that just fair caught the ball, it would still be better than having someone back there muffing it or letting it bounce backwards.

You know you have a problem with your PR game if you have to switch guys in and out to handle PR duties. This causes incosistancy and not allow someone get enough reps catching punts. Having more reps will make the PR be comfortable and confident in handling and returning punts.

I like the idea of trading for Reggie Bush, he proves he can return punts and kick offs for TDs. He would be an asset in the offense as well when we go spread, plus he is familiar with catching passes and handoffs from Alex Smith.

But I wouldn't trade a 1st round pick for him, a 2nd round pick for sure. I would even trade Nate Clements straight up for him too. Since a lot of people think Nate is being over paid and giving up to many big passing plays on D.
[ Edited by TT49ers on Jan 2, 2010 at 3:13 PM ]
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
why didn't we trade for Cribbs when we had the chance!

because 1. this isnt madden, and 2. they probably wanted a 1st or 2nd and 3rd for him, and no way would i give up that much for a return guy.
We have the worst GM in all of football. We'll have to live with another dreadful decision made by McClueless. I guess the Demetric Evans and Brandon Jones signings will go unnoticed as well.
Releasing Spurlock was a killer too. Didn't Battle fumble one during the Titan game also?
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Releasing Spurlock was a killer too. Didn't Battle fumble one during the Titan game also?

Why is Battle still on the team?
Share 49ersWebzone