LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

Roll to the right, throw out of bounds, incomplete pass.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
this could've been posted in the 10 other Smith threads.

Then it would be buried in a long thread and their genius despite lack of insight would go unnoticed.

Smith has made better throws than either of these shining examples of a 3rd stringer playing against third stringers. Anyone remember the TD pass to Gore that was a roll out to the left where the line collapsed and Smith rolled out to buy time to throw the perfect pass to Gore? Or do you guys saying he can't do this have another case of convenient memory loss?

That's not the point. Just once against the Rams I want to see Smith step up in the Pocket. Just once and Ill be happy. He doesn't even have to throw the ball, just step up and buy a little time.

To me he looks scared and indecisive. Doesn't want to take a hit

ya hes scared of taking hits maybe we should have a 300 pound guy jump on you so u have to get two surgeries and lets see how jittery u get then especially with this crappy o line o btw im assuming u did not see the game where he made that awsome block against the raiders

Then it would be buried in a long thread and their genius despite lack of insight would go unnoticed.

Smith has made better throws than either of these shining examples of a 3rd stringer playing against third stringers. Anyone remember the TD pass to Gore that was a roll out to the left where the line collapsed and Smith rolled out to buy time to throw the perfect pass to Gore? Or do you guys saying he can't do this have another case of convenient memory loss?

Sadly, that's the only example.

Now if somebody was to ask for an example of throws that were average/poor...you get the picture.

ANY NFL QB can make a good throw here and there, it's all about consistency though, something Alex, and many other QB's lack.

Okay how about the 06 game against Seattle when he rolled out to the left after evading the rush then throwing a pass to Gore for the TD? Or earlier this year when he rolled out to the right to buy time and threw to Morgan for the TD? I am not saying that Smith is going to be a great QB, only that he isn't as bad as most of his critics try to say he is. He has great work ethic and I think that he will work hard to improve his game. If you are one of those people that think a player cannot improve with hard work and perseverance, then I guess there is no reasoning with you.

Work ethic will only get you so far, there are intangibles that Smith just doesn't have. After 5 years I can say that with confidence. I've been a Smith supporter up until this offseason, were he couldn't even beat out ol' noodle arm. And for those who say he was still "injured" then, I see very little difference in his passes.

His pocket presence is still bad, he never steps up (and don't give me the OL is s**t excuse, so is Rodger's OL, and so is Ben's OL). Still has no touch on his passes, throws lasers to receivers sitting 3 yards away, still doesn't lead receiver well on passes, most of his passes the receivers have to make tough catches, and still makes inconsistent reads.

He improved his hard account, and ability to throw a seam route pass to VD.
With a great defense, OL, receivers, running back, we will make the SB; but then again, you can throw almost any QB in the NFL on a team like that, and expect to make the SB.

The oline is s**t, that is not an excuse, that is a clear cut fact. We get blitzed in the A gaps and our guards cannot handle it. The two QB's you threw out there as examples have also had the luxury of playing in the same system their entire careers, with the same receivers, and the same coaches. Smith always had a pretty good hard count, his touch has improved, he has thrown some perfect passes this year. What he needs to work on now is consistency with his passes, once he develops the chemistry with his receivers the offense will look sharper.
  • dj43
If anyone is interested, and has tape of previous games, go back and look, not at Smith but at what the defense is doing.

Over the past 6 games, beginning with Green Bay, defenses began of overload the left side with rushers and rotate the safety to the right. What happens is the left side of the pocket collapses early, forcing Smith to the right. Now with the backside safety rotated into double coverage, there is rarely an open receiver.

It is not a unique tactic but with Baas deficiencies at picking up quick pass rushers demanding help at time, it leaves opportunities to apply backside pressure. It doesn't work all the time but it has been effective more often that not. It starts by collapsing the left side of the pocket which leaves few options for the offense.

Now add in very inexperienced wide receivers and a TE that does not read defenses very intuitively, and you have either a sack, an interception, or a throwaway.

Now if somebody was to ask for an example of throws that were average/poor...you get the picture.

ANY NFL QB can make a good throw here and there, it's all about consistency though, something Alex, and many other QB's lack.

Okay how about the 06 game against Seattle when he rolled out to the left after evading the rush then throwing a pass to Gore for the TD? Or earlier this year when he rolled out to the right to buy time and threw to Morgan for the TD? I am not saying that Smith is going to be a great QB, only that he isn't as bad as most of his critics try to say he is. He has great work ethic and I think that he will work hard to improve his game. If you are one of those people that think a player cannot improve with hard work and perseverance, then I guess there is no reasoning with you.

Work ethic will only get you so far, there are intangibles that Smith just doesn't have. After 5 years I can say that with confidence. I've been a Smith supporter up until this offseason, were he couldn't even beat out ol' noodle arm. And for those who say he was still "injured" then, I see very little difference in his passes.

His pocket presence is still bad, he never steps up (and don't give me the OL is s**t excuse, so is Rodger's OL, and so is Ben's OL). Still has no touch on his passes, throws lasers to receivers sitting 3 yards away, still doesn't lead receiver well on passes, most of his passes the receivers have to make tough catches, and still makes inconsistent reads.

With a great defense, OL, receivers, running back, we will make the SB; but then again, you can throw almost any QB in the NFL on a team like that, and expect to make the SB.

The oline is s**t, that is not an excuse, that is a clear cut fact. We get blitzed in the A gaps and our guards cannot handle it. The two QB's you threw out there as examples have also had the luxury of playing in the same system their entire careers, with the same receivers, and the same coaches. Smith always had a pretty good hard count, his touch has improved, he has thrown some perfect passes this year. What he needs to work on now is consistency with his passes, once he develops the chemistry with his receivers the offense will look sharper.

I give up, we have seen s**t football for so many years, we are obviously in love with just mediocrity. IMO, a #1 overall pick, should be playing better than this, but that's just me I guess.
  • fly15
  • Veteran

The oline is s**t, thats an excuse sir.
Gore 1000+ yrs, thats a fact. Give the oline some credit.
Alex is a bust, that not an excuse.
Originally posted by fly15:

I don't consider him a bust, he is still a decent NFL QB. He will never be an MVP, or live up to his #1 overall, if we go by that he is bust, but he can still play in this league.

I give up, we have seen s**t football for so many years, we are obviously in love with just mediocrity. IMO, a #1 overall pick, should be playing better than this, but that's just me I guess.

if u want a player to succeed u got to give him a chance look at Peyton manning till now hes had same exact system whole career been throwing to 1 maybe 2 future hall of fame WR and Dallas Clark and the best o line

Brady came in to a very good team again same exact system and a top o line with also one of the better WRs in the game

and people want to compare him with rodgers fine gets to learn under hall of famer QB and has same system and better wide outs its also clear that Gb o line is pretty good its just that rodgers likes to hold on ball for more than 3 seconds which smith can only hold it for 2 seconds before someone is in his face

bottom line he finally gets some weapons he might acually get to learn from same season 2 times in a row next just fix the damn o line if u want to win
Originally posted by TT49ers:
Sometimes those plays are better than the alternative.

Alternative, from best case senario to worst case senario.

Staying in the pocket:

1. Throws a completed pass
  2. Throws a inclompeted pass
  3. Gets sacked
  4. Throws a interception
  5. Gets sacked then fumbles the ball
  6. Gets blind sided, fumbles and gets bandly injured in the process. (Then starts the Nate Davis Era)

As you can see rolling to the right, throw out of bounds, incomple pass (The Alex Smith Special) dose't look so bad compared to senerios 3-6. It wouldn't surprise me to see some posters who would rather prefer senerio 6 over 1 or 2.

I like Nate Davis, he has shown some good qualities for a QB. The best thing for him is to stay motivated, learn, work hard and improve on his skills. The longer he stays on the side lines the better. It means that he gets time to develope his skills and it also means Alex Smith is playing well.

u were doing soo well.... until u mentioned "Alex playing well"-----that killed the story

I am sorry, for wanting our starting QB to play well. I forgot saying or writing anything positive about 'Alex Smith' is frowned upon. On a side note, I did say nice things about Nate Davis too!
If there is a pu**y somewhere, put the tag where it belongs. McCLOWN & noln, and then this yr again on coach, UNTIL bigmIke realized the kid was tough---and now he has been coached to chuck it into the seats instead of taking a sack. Put that on bigMIke, not alex. And , for what it is worth, it is still sound football. Alex took all kinds of shots "staying" in the 1-2 second pocket. And stepping up into our "pocket" is a death step, in that our OL just is so p*ss poor they can't give him a pocket to step up into. So forget about that.

Remember, noln was responsible for getting this kid sacked , close to most in the league, but he was hit way more than he was ever sacked. For a spell before the shoulder surgery, he was hit on every play unless he got sacked. Another thing, Alex NEVER complained, and never pointed a finger. He just "took it". noln, that sumbich, called him out and made him play when he obviously was hurt, and it sure looked like a separated shoulder to me. Because of noln, the separation got worse, until it got surgerized...and alex misses basically 2 yrs of football.

I agree with taney. A helluva lot of hits and sacks came right up the middle, and still do. Alex's separation came on a bullrush right over heitmann's back...i knew the kid got hurt, just didn't know until later how bad. So let's not be calling alex out. His coach wants him tossing it into the upper deck. He does NOT want him holding onto the ball and taking a sack. Believe me, that was hard for him to learn how to do, but he got convinced by his OL who has NEVER blocked for him, more than an occasional game or 2.

Leadfarmer, Alex has proved himself enough, and the coaches don't want him taking sacks. I also agree with taney , and have posted multiple times, we got staley, and Maybe heitmann, with sims a one yr surprise so far. We need 2 OLs in first rd, and an all pro OL in FA. Hey, i don't care if they are 295 or 325, and i also don't care if they are all OTs or OGs. They just have to be able to pass block and while at it, learn how to run block also. As an aside, we got crap for an OL and last game was the first for wallace at Center. How stupid was that. That's all on coaching and GM, guys, and they never tried out a possible solution at least at one slot.

Memphis---get alex that OT to OT decent line, and THEN let's discuss how good he is or isn't. At this late date , i still don't know, nor does anybody else. Why? Because until this kid gets protected, NOBODY is gonna know what kind of Qb we have. NObody. You wanna blame someone, look no further than Clown. This is all on him. i actually believe that bigmike gets it and is going to see that alex gets his 3 new starters on the OL. I would even be happy with 2, but we have to have that at a minimum for this team to get out of the 7-9, 8s , or 9-7 category. We may have a nucleus for a good team here. But with an OL playing like 3rd round picks or rather, like crap, we aren't going anywhere.

This OL doesn't just have an anchor around alex's leg...it is around the entire team, and bigMIke isn't stupid. He knows if OL isn't fixed...and i mean really fixed, then he is as good as gone after next season. Oh, and for the record, i am not an alex fan, a nate fan , a shaun fan...i am a QB fan of the 9ers. Whoever it is, we can't win with a failed OL, a really failed OL coach, and that's exactly what we got at present. Fix the line and then complain all you want. Until then, you all are just blowing smoke. Lastly for the guys who want alex to step up...i ask, into what? The teeth of an up the gut career ending play, capped by a fumble. You all gotta be kidding.
  • fly15
  • Veteran

I don't consider him a bust, he is still a decent NFL QB. He will never be an MVP, or live up to his #1 overall, if we go by that he is bust, but he can still play in this league.

I apologize for using the term "bust". I was just trying 2 back u up on ur previous opinions.
Wont happen anymore.
i still think he sucks, but i agree he can play in this league.

• fly15
  • Veteran

Staying in the pocket:

3. Gets sacked
  4. Throws a interception
  6. Gets blind sided, fumbles and gets bandly injured in the process. (Then starts the Nate Davis Era)

As you can see rolling to the right, throw out of bounds, incomple pass (The Alex Smith Special) dose't look so bad compared to senerios 3-6. It wouldn't surprise me to see some posters who would rather prefer senerio 6 over 1 or 2.

I like Nate Davis, he has shown some good qualities for a QB. The best thing for him is to stay motivated, learn, work hard and improve on his skills. The longer he stays on the side lines the better. It means that he gets time to develope his skills and it also means Alex Smith is playing well.

u were doing soo well.... until u mentioned "Alex playing well"-----that killed the story

I am sorry, for wanting our starting QB to play well. I forgot saying or writing anything positive about 'Alex Smith' is frowned upon. On a side note, I did say nice things about Nate Davis too!

kool

Staying in the pocket:

3. Gets sacked
  4. Throws a interception

I agree with what you posted TT, that is for Fly.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
If there is a pu**y somewhere, put the tag where it belongs. McCLOWN & noln, and then this yr again on coach, UNTIL bigmIke realized the kid was tough---and now he has been coached to chuck it into the seats instead of taking a sack. Put that on bigMIke, not alex. And , for what it is worth, it is still sound football. Alex took all kinds of shots "staying" in the 1-2 second pocket. And stepping up into our "pocket" is a death step, in that our OL just is so p*ss poor they can't give him a pocket to step up into. So forget about that.

Remember, noln was responsible for getting this kid sacked , close to most in the league, but he was hit way more than he was ever sacked. For a spell before the shoulder surgery, he was hit on every play unless he got sacked. Another thing, Alex NEVER complained, and never pointed a finger. He just "took it". noln, that sumbich, called him out and made him play when he obviously was hurt, and it sure looked like a separated shoulder to me. Because of noln, the separation got worse, until it got surgerized...and alex misses basically 2 yrs of football.

I agree with taney. A helluva lot of hits and sacks came right up the middle, and still do. Alex's separation came on a bullrush right over heitmann's back...i knew the kid got hurt, just didn't know until later how bad. So let's not be calling alex out. His coach wants him tossing it into the upper deck. He does NOT want him holding onto the ball and taking a sack. Believe me, that was hard for him to learn how to do, but he got convinced by his OL who has NEVER blocked for him, more than an occasional game or 2.

Leadfarmer, Alex has proved himself enough, and the coaches don't want him taking sacks. I also agree with taney , and have posted multiple times, we got staley, and Maybe heitmann, with sims a one yr surprise so far. We need 2 OLs in first rd, and an all pro OL in FA. Hey, i don't care if they are 295 or 325, and i also don't care if they are all OTs or OGs. They just have to be able to pass block and while at it, learn how to run block also. As an aside, we got crap for an OL and last game was the first for wallace at Center. How stupid was that. That's all on coaching and GM, guys, and they never tried out a possible solution at least at one slot.

Memphis---get alex that OT to OT decent line, and THEN let's discuss how good he is or isn't. At this late date , i still don't know, nor does anybody else. Why? Because until this kid gets protected, NOBODY is gonna know what kind of Qb we have. NObody. You wanna blame someone, look no further than Clown. This is all on him. i actually believe that bigmike gets it and is going to see that alex gets his 3 new starters on the OL. I would even be happy with 2, but we have to have that at a minimum for this team to get out of the 7-9, 8s , or 9-7 category. We may have a nucleus for a good team here. But with an OL playing like 3rd round picks or rather, like crap, we aren't going anywhere.

This OL doesn't just have an anchor around alex's leg...it is around the entire team, and bigMIke isn't stupid. He knows if OL isn't fixed...and i mean really fixed, then he is as good as gone after next season. Oh, and for the record, i am not an alex fan, a nate fan , a shaun fan...i am a QB fan of the 9ers. Whoever it is, we can't win with a failed OL, a really failed OL coach, and that's exactly what we got at present. Fix the line and then complain all you want. Until then, you all are just blowing smoke. Lastly for the guys who want alex to step up...i ask, into what? The teeth of an up the gut career ending play, capped by a fumble. You all gotta be kidding.

You and I are of the same opinion on Smith, I think he will improve because he is a hard worker and will put in the time in the off season with his receivers to build the chemistry that just isn't really there this year. I think Pashos might be a good player and I think Chilo will get over his funk, but I still think we should get a couple of quality offensive linemen in the draft. The only way I think we should draft anything other than an o lineman in the first round is if Eric Berry happens to fall to us like Crabtree did last year. I think a new o line coach might be what we really need because we have been picking them in the early rounds and they haven't been developing as fast as you'd like to see them.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:

That's not the point. Just once against the Rams I want to see Smith step up in the Pocket. Just once and Ill be happy. He doesn't even have to throw the ball, just step up and buy a little time.

To me he looks scared and indecisive. Doesn't want to take a hit

ya hes scared of taking hits maybe we should have a 300 pound guy jump on you so u have to get two surgeries and lets see how jittery u get then especially with this crappy o line o btw im assuming u did not see the game where he made that awsome block against the raiders

Pay me 40 mil and Ill let Rocky Benard belly flop on me. It's his job give me a break. Good Qb's don't get jittery when lineman come at them.

Staying in the pocket:

3. Gets sacked
  4. Throws a interception

I agree with what you posted TT, that is for Fly.

I know Memphis, I was just replying to Fly's comment about how Alex Smith and playing well don't go together. I can understand his frustration, I get upset too when I see Alex Smith under threw Crabs when he was wide open. The difference is, I can also give him credit for standing in the pocket on 4th and 1 and making the right read and completing a pass to Gore for a huge gain. Even though the initial read was suppose to go to Crabs who was double teamed.

I also hear a lot of people complaining about Alex Smith not putting up more than 20 points against the Lions. Well at the very least the score should have been 26-6. The team had a FG blocked before the half and Gore fumbled on the Lions 27 yard line. If Gore didn't fumble, we could of gotten a TD (30-6) but for sure a FG (26-6). Not to mention AS only threw I think like 5 passes in the 2nd Half, because Sing/Raye (No Killer Instinct) got all conservative. The team failed to take advantage of the 6 TO's, not just Alex Smith.
[ Edited by TT49ers on Jan 3, 2010 at 9:46 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone