LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 152 users in the forums

Roll to the right, throw out of bounds, incomplete pass.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by taney71:
Totally agree. This is one of his biggest issues. He has to learn how to step up, stand in, side-step. This is more about feeling pressure and having a sense of the pocket...natural QB instincts.

Considering most of the pressure comes from the middle of the line where Rachel and Baas play I think about 80% of this has to do with the oline and not the QB.

That's just simply not true, but ok. Not in the mood for this.

You have your opinion and I'll have my facts.

Quote:
G- Chilo Rachal actually had the better statistical year than David Baas. but neither were worth talking about. Rachal ranked decently in pass blocking, while Baas was a hair above average in pass blocking. Rachal beat Baas again in run blocking, but both were absolutely AWFUL. well below league average. 4 penalties for Rachal, 3 for Baas, so at least they didnt kill us there. not amazing, but decent for the position. top 10 in giving up sacks, both of them, middle of the pack in giving up QB hits and pressures.

Quote from this thread: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=136006

Which uses stats from this website:
http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=T&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

It's hard bashing Smith when someone shows up with stats.
[ Edited by taney71 on Jan 2, 2010 at 12:20 PM ]
  • dald1
  • Veteran
Totally agree. This is one of his biggest issues. He has to learn how to step up, stand in, side-step. This is more about feeling pressure and having a sense of the pocket...natural QB instincts.

Considering most of the pressure comes from the middle of the line where Rachel and Baas play I think about 80% of this has to do with the oline and not the QB.

Quote:
G- Chilo Rachal actually had the better statistical year than David Baas. but neither were worth talking about. Rachal ranked decently in pass blocking, while Baas was a hair above average in pass blocking. Rachal beat Baas again in run blocking, but both were absolutely AWFUL. well below league average. 4 penalties for Rachal, 3 for Baas, so at least they didnt kill us there. not amazing, but decent for the position. top 10 in giving up sacks, both of them, middle of the pack in giving up QB hits and pressures.

i agree i dont get how people dont see that the reason for him rolling out is due to our subpar line. however i would like him to scramble a little more and try to make something happen with his feet.
Originally posted by dald1:

Quote:

i agree i dont get how people dont see that the reason for him rolling out is due to our subpar line. however i would like him to scramble a little more and try to make something happen with his feet.

Good point which is something Raye said Smith can improve on which is normal with a young QB. I think once Smith gets comfortable in this offense he'll do fine. Plus I believe once the 9ers upgrade key parts of this offensive line he'll look alot better. Right now the 9er offensive line consists of two average NFL starters (Staley and Heitman) and three guys who should either be subs or out of the NFL.
You mean like this

Quote:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=T&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

LOL @ your "stats." Irrefutable proof that you're right huh?

First of all, these "stats" you're providing don't tell us much about the topic of this post. Secondly, stats on sacks are highly subjective and often times the blame should be attributed to the QB rather than the lineman.

You need to go back and watch these plays instead of looking at Guard statistics.

For the record, I think Rachal has been atrocious this season. Baas has been better, but not by a lot. Really, this isn't the issue. I'm not bashing Smith for plays in which there is no lane to step up in the pocket...I'm talking about plays in which he exhibits absolutely ZERO football IQ/instinct and rolls out instead of buying more time like any other halfway decent QB knows how to do.

He's the anti-Favre, anti-Romo, anti-Big Ben.
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
You mean like this

EXACTLY. Alex Smith does not do this. I'm not a Nate Davis lobbyist but there's more instinct exhibited here than we've ever seen from Alex Smith.

Nate keeps his head downfield, finds the NEW pocket, and fires the ball down the field.
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
Originally posted by A-R-S:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
When a QB rollout is called, you eliminate half of the field. Which means that it's either going to work (with the receivers running hitch patterns) or it won't (the QB will throw it away). The smart thing to do in that situation is to throw it away rather than force the ball to a defended receiver or to throw it across your body and into the unplayed half of the field for an ill-advised throw.

Nothing wrong with throwing it out of bounds.

I think he's talking about Alex getting jittery to early, running right and chucking it out of bounds. Not designed rollouts.

Come on. At least you Smith haters have to admit that the oline hasn't given either Hill or Smith a ton of time to sit in the pocket. Smith isn't getting jittery too early. He's running for his life.

"You Smith haters"?

Please.

I was simply explaining OP's point to a poster who misunderstood it.

Quote:

First of all, these "stats" you're providing don't tell us much about the topic of this post. Secondly, stats on sacks are highly subjective and often times the blame should be attributed to the QB rather than the lineman.

You need to go back and watch these plays instead of looking at Guard statistics.

For the record, I think Rachal has been atrocious this season. Baas has been better, but not by a lot. Really, this isn't the issue. I'm not bashing Smith for plays in which there is no lane to step up in the pocket...I'm talking about plays in which he exhibits absolutely ZERO football IQ/instinct and rolls out instead of buying more time like any other halfway decent QB knows how to do.

Not sure why proving our oline is weak doesn't also show why he's forced to run out of the pocket.

And when he rolls to his right on a designed play what is he suppose to do if there is no one open? Throw it away sounds about right.
You mean like this

EXACTLY. Alex Smith does not do this. I'm not a Nate Davis lobbyist but there's more instinct exhibited here than we've ever seen from Alex Smith.

Nate keeps his head downfield, finds the NEW pocket, and fires the ball down the field.

That's BS. First Davis is playing against guys who are out of the NFL. Second Smith has shown he can stay in the pocket and throw the ball.

Quote:

Not sure why proving our oline is weak doesn't also show why he's forced to run out of the pocket.

And when he rolls to his right on a designed play what is he suppose to do if there is no one open? Throw it away sounds about right.

Because stepping up in the pocket, side-stepping, and buying time should be a RESPONSE to pressure by the good QB.

Again, nobody is talking about designed rollouts here.

You mean like this

That's BS. First Davis is playing against guys who are out of the NFL. Second Smith has shown he can stay in the pocket and throw the ball.

This has nothing to do with who he's playing against. That's pointless to mention for numerous reasons. This is an instinct, a response to pressure. Moreover, he's a 3rd stringer himself right? So is his o-line.
You mean like this

This has nothing to do with who he's playing against. That's pointless to mention for numerous reasons. This is an instinct, a response to pressure. Moreover, he's a 3rd stringer himself right? So is his o-line.

I agree that smith has shown he can stay in the pocket and throw to one of his checkdowns. The problem is he can't create a pocket like above, which doesnt allow his receivers to uncover. If smith was playing against those 3rd stringers he would be rolling right throwing out of bounds because he doesn't have the arm strength to do this. See next video (post was getting to long)
because he doesn't have the arm strength to do this
You mean like this

did anybody bother watching the other snaps Davis took? He also rolls to his right an inordinate amount. Don't start thinking that he's worlds better because of one play.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
You mean like this

did anybody bother watching the other snaps Davis took? He also rolls to his right an inordinate amount. Don't start thinking that he's worlds better because of one play.

No you're right. I watched that video with all his throws. He also did that a few times. I'm not lobbying for Davis...I'm just saying that Smith needs to learn how to buy more time and create a better pocket for himself. This video just shows me that Davis has that ability...not sure if Smith does yet in year 5.
Share 49ersWebzone