LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 311 users in the forums

Ruturning back to a team of innovation!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I grew up watching Joe Montana play the quaterback position with mastery in a league of grown men not boys. And even though I was a youngster I was admired by the man who called the plays, you know the white haired man. I later came to find out his name was Bill Walsh and the called him aka the genius! I later found out why they called him the genius when I saw the play call against the cowgirls in the 1981 championship game. It became a routine thing to see plays called that the other team could not or did not plan for. That is when I started seeing him as not just a genius but an innovator. Now don't get me wrong I have a lot of respect of coach singletary because he met with walsh before he got into coaching. That shows me that he could see greatness and be mentored by it. I give props to coach singletary for what he did with the talent that on this team. This will be our first season where we did not have a loosing season since earlier in the other decade! But coach sing can't just get by with motivation he must lean again on good talent and innovation.
I own the 5 SB victories on DVD and occasionally watch them. It was amazing to watch on both sides of the ball. It's 50% coaches and play-calling, 50% player performance. The Niners D was impressive and the offense either scored late when they had to or just destroyed opposing teams by scoring 55 pts. (vs. Broncos, my favorite SB).

This team w/ it's current players is the best team not in the playoffs, but too much mistakes on our part cost us and we lost by one score in 6 of the 8 losses. Will we make the playoffs next year? It's highly likely since I'm more confident in this team's skill players than when Rattay or Dilfer was QB, Barlow was RB and has-beens like Conway or busts like R. Woods were on our team. At least we'll be consistent at OC for next season (which isn't saying much).
[ Edited by mcbaes72 on Jan 2, 2010 at 6:53 AM ]
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
I own the 5 SB victories on DVD and occasionally watch them. It was amazing to watch on both sides of the ball. It's 50% coaches and play-calling, 50% player performance. The Niners D was impressive and the offense either scored late when they had to or just destroyed opposing teams by scoring 55 pts. (vs. Broncos, my favorite SB).

This team w/ it's current players is the best team not in the playoffs, but too much mistakes on our part cost us and we lost by one score in 6 of the 8 losses. Will we make the playoffs next year? It's highly likely since I'm more confident in this team's skill players than when Rattay or Dilfer was QB, Barlow was RB and has-beens like Conway or busts like R. Woods were on our team. At least we'll be consistent at OC for next season (which isn't saying much).

I want us to make the playoffs, but you cant go anywhere without leadership... our coaching staff doesnt know how to do it.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

I want us to make the playoffs, but you cant go anywhere without leadership... our coaching staff doesnt know how to do it.

Leadership doesnt come from the coaching staff only. The Niners dynasty from 1981-1998 didnt have the best coaching staff ALL the time. A big part of leadership comes from players. Patrick Willis is a great example of this on defense. His play dictates how the game will fare for the 49ers. Its a shame we dont have the same on offense. You guys might think of this as a "bash Smith" comment, but the reality is that Smith doesnt have command of the unit on offense. And it shows on gameday, although you guys would rather blame Raye, Singletary, and even god if you had to.
Originally posted by ZRF80:

Leadership doesnt come from the coaching staff only. The Niners dynasty from 1981-1998 didnt have the best coaching staff ALL the time. A big part of leadership comes from players. Patrick Willis is a great example of this on defense. His play dictates how the game will fare for the 49ers. Its a shame we dont have the same on offense. You guys might think of this as a "bash Smith" comment, but the reality is that Smith doesnt have command of the unit on offense. And it shows on gameday, although you guys would rather blame Raye, Singletary, and even god if you had to.

You regularly bash Smith but not this time huh??

• ZRF80
Originally posted by Super5:

unfortunately, the truth hurts.....

Ummmm seems to me there are games where Smith has it(Leadership) and games that he doesn't. Would have been nice to have him Start the season.

But at least you didn't bash Smith.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Super5:

unfortunately, the truth hurts.....

Yeah it does. You're still icing the pain in your backside.

Cause from where I sit this season record is not on Smith. It's on the TEAM. But then you knew that being such a fan of Smith an all.

~Ceadder
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Ummmm seems to me there are games where Smith has it(Leadership) and games that he doesn't. Would have been nice to have him Start the season.

~Ceadder

Your comments dont make sense. Sometimes he has it, and sometimes he doesnt ? Whats that supposed to mean ? Leadership doesnt mean you have to win all the time. It just means you have to have command of the situation and the team, no matter in what position you're in. Give me one game this season when Alex had command of his team....

I don't normally share your opinion about smith, but this time I do. he does lack command of his offense. now, I do believe that the other 10 guys on offense like him playing qb, but only because he opens up the playbook.

really, I have been a smith supporter (not homer) but lately I think that he may have a limit skill set. hat I am starting to learn is that all the brains he has may be detrimental to his success.

on his show, steve young was assessing Brett favre's success this year and his bad play. he said that to be successful, there is a certain reckless abandonment you have to play with.

now, I am not saying that smith has to start heaving the ball blindly, but I am starting to see his mental progression of the game being a bit slow. it's Luke he has no trust/instincts for the position.

I still want one year of him starting. if it doesn't pan out into a PLAYOFF BERTH AND WIN, can him. yes, a win in the playoffs I the only way he should stay.

Originally posted by Ceadderman:

~Ceadder

Your comments dont make sense. Sometimes he has it, and sometimes he doesnt ? Whats that supposed to mean ? Leadership doesnt mean you have to win all the time. It just means you have to have command of the situation and the team, no matter in what position you're in. Give me one game this season when Alex had command of his team....

Colts, Jags and Cards games? Geez gimme a harder task next time.

You know it's funny you never ONCE not ONCE gave the man his due. He puts PERFECT passes in the hands of his Receivers that are dropped and it's Alex's fault they dropped it.

Oh and the SEAHAWKS game as well. The Seahawks stole one with the help of the Refs.

And what I meant by sometimes/sometimes?

Sometimes he has it. Colts game. Sometimes he doesn't. Iggles game.

But I should just accept that you will forever be Smith's greatest critic and ignore your mind boggling ignorance.

Hope you had a Happy New Year, and that you decided to address this in your resolution. At least if you break that one you can always try it again the next year.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Jan 2, 2010 at 9:33 AM ]
Originally posted by Digger25:

So a winning record carries no water with you? Man it's a hard room.

~Ceadder

I don't normally share your opinion about smith, but this time I do. he does lack command of his offense. now, I do believe that the other 10 guys on offense like him playing qb, but only because he opens up the playbook.

really, I have been a smith supporter (not homer) but lately I think that he may have a limit skill set. hat I am starting to learn is that all the brains he has may be detrimental to his success.

on his show, steve young was assessing Brett favre's success this year and his bad play. he said that to be successful, there is a certain reckless abandonment you have to play with.

now, I am not saying that smith has to start heaving the ball blindly, but I am starting to see his mental progression of the game being a bit slow. it's Luke he has no trust/instincts for the position.

I still want one year of him starting. if it doesn't pan out into a PLAYOFF BERTH AND WIN, can him. yes, a win in the playoffs I the only way he should stay.

You need leadership at every facet of the organization, granted from the coach on down, leadership (or lack thereof) will be reflected from the play on the field. We are carrying over the same offense for the first time in five years. Singularly, I anticipate the timing will be vastly improved between the QB and this current core of receivers resulting in an increase to the offensive output. As with the majority, I am still concerned with the O-line and its coach and hoping we make some adjustments.

I'm still holding off from commenting about our head coach. I saw him struggle with decisions on and off the field, but i saw him capable of adjusting when it was warranted. I'm attributing this more to this being his first full year of coaching. I am wondering if he is capable of coaching an offense and embracing the nuances that go with it (think Tony Dungy).

As with most topics, Smith discussions will be argued again and again. Who do you have in mind to replace Smith? Is Peyton Manning available? I mentioned Manning, because he's the only QB that comes close to Montana's poise as a field General. Davis name has been brought up, why? He's better than Smith because of his talent, physical abilities, speed......based on what? QB's with loads of talent are either sitting on the bench or are no longer in the NFL, it's a crapshoot. If we replace Smith with whomever, the replacement is going to need time to develop. I'm still wondering what we have in Smith, but I am resigned to the fact that we will never have another Montana, but if we can stabilize our offense (system continuity and an effective O-line) we might just be able to develop a Brady, or a Rothlisburger, or an Aikman (next best option).

You cited Willis field leadership, but did you mean to cite his phenomenal physical abilities? He was delegated to call out defensive alignments and had difficulties. But if you base leadership solely on physical abilities, Gore filled that role on the offensive side. The last visible leader we had on D was Bryant Young, but Takeo Spikes is starting to play the role as of late.
Innovation, creativity. Yes, the 49ers need to get back to this style of play. I see this team as making the playoffs but never getting over the hump, with this current coaching staff and quarterback. You need a very good play-caller, somebody that can feel and anticipate what the opponent is doing before they actually do it. This is what made Bill Walsh so great and just a joy to watch how he could game plan against any defense and know how to pick it apart. Mike Holmgren and Mike Shanahan were the same way. Now with the talent in place on this team, I wouldnt mind getting one guy like this back into our organization. I miss the Bill Walsh offense. It had everything, 3,5,7 step, play-action, reverses, bootlegs, sprint outs. It was a dream offense that allowed the quarterback freedom and kept defenses off balance week in and week out. Im not saying this current offense doesnt have that, the coaches just don't call it to their advantage.
Originally posted by sj49er408:
Innovation, creativity. Yes, the 49ers need to get back to this style of play. I see this team as making the playoffs but never getting over the hump, with this current coaching staff and quarterback. You need a very good play-caller, somebody that can feel and anticipate what the opponent is doing before they actually do it. This is what made Bill Walsh so great and just a joy to watch how he could game plan against any defense and know how to pick it apart. Mike Holmgren and Mike Shanahan were the same way. Now with the talent in place on this team, I wouldnt mind getting one guy like this back into our organization. I miss the Bill Walsh offense. It had everything, 3,5,7 step, play-action, reverses, bootlegs, sprint outs. It was a dream offense that allowed the quarterback freedom and kept defenses off balance week in and week out. Im not saying this current offense doesnt have that, the coaches just don't call it to their advantage.

Agree & great post!
Share 49ersWebzone