LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 303 users in the forums

Who will be most improved 9er going into 2010?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who will be most improved 9er going into 2010?

if jason hill can lock down a role in the slot, id look for him to have a really nice year...

alex smith looks to finally get his chance at a 2nd year in a system, i think he locks down his role here next year.

ahmad brooks exploded onto the scene this year, however didnt have the entire year so obviously the league didnt really take notice....they will next year.

Dashon Goldson could potentially take another huge step, he has only gotten better as the year went on..
  • bret
  • Veteran
I had to vote Crabtree: it's his talent and work ethic that made him be able to come in this year and have the impact he has had, buT still there have been drops, wrong rouTes and poor timing that I am SURE will be beTter next year, so this is a no-brainer!

Brooks might be most improved this year -- from never even playing last year, to leading the team in sacks in less than half a season! If he can just carry that out over a full season, he'll have all-pro numbers, and we'll have a feared pass rush, but it won't really be an improvement.

My dark-horses are Diryal Briggs and Chilo Rachal. Rachal everybody knows about: the most physically gifted player at his position in the draft, he just hasn't put it all together. But you have to remember, he's young, coming out early, and because all his life he was so much better than everyone else he has had a tendency to try to out-macho everyone instead of developing his technique. Singletary had a great affect on Vernon Davis and I expect the same to play out with Chilo. I really believe we are going to see him develop into an all-pro guard in this league!

As for Briggs, it's clear the coaches have their eye on Briggs as a possible difference maker; he's just young and raw, but the talent and the effort are there. I really think he'll be the other big surprise next year!

I hope I'm right on all my choices and wrong on all the ones I didn't pick!
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by baltien:
Gotta say Crabs. He's impressed this year despite missing all of camp and six games. Though he and Alex go hand in hand. If he's improved, it's because Alex has too.

I agree with u on Crabby. But not on Alex.
Hopefully Balmer.
I think our offensive group as a whole will improve (in terms of chemistry), not so much one person excelling one step ahead of the other (but I definitely see Crabs going to the pro-bowl next year).

It's going to be amazing, RT will be filled up for sure this time with some good talent, our line will be able to grow together, and Raye's playbook will be in 'year 2' cohesion with the team's understanding/growth of the system's concepts.

In fact after Raye's most recent interview (his encouragement of Alex Smith engaging a 'maverick' attitude/calling audibles) I have more faith in our offense going forward than I have had in almost 7 years.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Hopefully Balmer.

Yes hopefully Balmer. I want to add Chilo Rachal and Tarrell Brown.
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
Alex will kick butt. If he had sat behind Farve for 3 years in Green Bay he'd be a top five qb now.

I guess that's why Peyton, Big Ben, Flacco, Matt Ryan, are such good QB's because they sat behind a HOF...oh wait.

Rodgers arm, pocket presence, and ability to throw under pressure, exceeds Alex by a mile. The only thing Alex does better is..is..sec...ummm...k nvm, he doesn't do anything better than Rodgers, unless you count picks, and such.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Alex will kick butt. If he had sat behind Farve for 3 years in Green Bay he'd be a top five qb now.

I guess that's why Peyton, Big Ben, Flacco, Matt Ryan, are such good QB's because they sat behind a HOF...oh wait.

Rodgers arm, pocket presence, and ability to throw under pressure, exceeds Alex by a mile. The only thing Alex does better is..is..sec...ummm...k nvm, he doesn't do anything better than Rodgers, unless you count picks, and such.

Alex throws less picks?

-9fA
  • dj43
Originally posted by bret:
I had to vote Crabtree: it's his talent and work ethic that made him be able to come in this year and have the impact he has had, buT still there have been drops, wrong rouTes and poor timing that I am SURE will be beTter next year, so this is a no-brainer!

Brooks might be most improved this year -- from never even playing last year, to leading the team in sacks in less than half a season! If he can just carry that out over a full season, he'll have all-pro numbers, and we'll have a feared pass rush, but it won't really be an improvement.

My dark-horses are Diryal Briggs and Chilo Rachal. Rachal everybody knows about: the most physically gifted player at his position in the draft, he just hasn't put it all together. But you have to remember, he's young, coming out early, and because all his life he was so much better than everyone else he has had a tendency to try to out-macho everyone instead of developing his technique. Singletary had a great affect on Vernon Davis and I expect the same to play out with Chilo. I really believe we are going to see him develop into an all-pro guard in this league!

As for Briggs, it's clear the coaches have their eye on Briggs as a possible difference maker; he's just young and raw, but the talent and the effort are there. I really think he'll be the other big surprise next year!

Excellent analysis although I can't put Crabtree in contention because of his "interim" status. I just don't think of him as one who would qualify.

I like Rachal. I think he has more "upside" than any of the others on the list. As you said, he came out early with a lack of technique that has shown up in his play. However I expect him to get much better. My major concern about him is whether or not he is getting quality OL coaching. I have no confidence in Foerster.

Overall, if Alex Smith is not the most improved play next year, this team will be in trouble. Good news; I think he will be the most improved. With an off-season to gain the confidence I believe he will become the player the team needs. Full disclosure; I coached a kid like him once that took three years to develop in the play-making leader that took us to a league title. I honestly believe Smith will do the same.
Originally posted by bret:

ahhh...no.... Rachal was listed as second best guard and at best a second round prospect. From ESPN: "He's limited athletically if he's asked to pull and lead out in space. He lacks speed on the move and adjustment skills on the run. He has adequate foot quickness and short-area strength in pass protection." Other sites stated he was a second round at best because of his size but overall at best a "good" NFL propsect not a great one.

Personally I think Rachal and Balmer were wasted picks. Balmer especially hasn't shown any of the potential that moved him into the first round and Rachal has routinely been beaten on the inside rush. Not sure who pulled the stats up but there is another thread about our o-line performance and Rachal was not good.

I think next year IF we draft/sign FA OG and RT then Alex has the best chance for a breakout year. Finally he's getting some development opportunity and is away from that idiot Nolan. Alex breaks out and Crabtree, Morgan, Davis and Gore will all put up big numbers.

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
did hallucinogens get legalized while I was away? 32% voted for Alex Smith.

Smith improves every year, but in ridiculously small and unacceptable amounts. For instance, he has now "improved" to 20th in the league in passing. The NFL has had rookies coming out that do better than that in their first year since Smith got drafted.
  • ZRF80
Smith supporters are delusional. I guess if Smith throws one less INT next year, it would equate to "huge success" in their eyes.

Give it a rest. Five years into his career, and he still cant win games for us. Time to move on.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Smith supporters are delusional. I guess if Smith throws one less INT next year, it would equate to "huge success" in their eyes.

Give it a rest. Five years into his career, and he still cant win games for us. Time to move on.

First year without Nolan and Smith has a decent season. Nolan was detrmiental to player development on both sides of the ball - Nolan gets canned and Franklin has a career season, Haralson lead the team in sacks last year, Lawson shows signs of improvement, Davis becomes a pro-bowler..... the list of Nolan wasted careers goes on and on.....

Give Smith a second season without his royal uselessness (aka Nolan) around and see what happens.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I'm gonna say Coffee just becuase.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

Alex throws less picks?

-9fA

Here we go again..... excuses excuses excuses alex excuses alex...
Share 49ersWebzone