There are 187 users in the forums

Our offense is ranked 29th....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
This was the worst part for me
"It should be noted that the 49ers entered Sunday's game against Detroit with the 27th-ranked offense. The Lions, meanwhile, ranked 32nd in defense. After the game, the 49ers' offensive ranking dropped two notches."
http://www.sacbee.com/sf49ers/story/2431717.html#mi_rss=49ers

Blame Singeltary and/or Raye for putting on the brakes after the 3rd quarter.

We're not a team that's going to pile on points when we're ahead by 10.

-9fA
Barrows is slipping, terrible job on the research side of things. Total yards does not constitute an offensive ranking and neither does yards given up constitute a defensive one. The NFL needs to get with the program and find a better way to rank both sides of the ball.
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
10 out of the top 15 ranked offense are going to be in the playoffs. So YES we need to improve our overal offense production by about 100 yards a game. That means more 3rd down conversions, more total yards a game,less turnovers , which will turn into more chances for our offense to score.

A great offense will get you to the playoffs, and a great defense will keep you in the playoffs.

Much of that has to do with an improved oline, not QB. Look at Alex Smith's passing numbers he's above average on TDs and yards. Plus if you add the dropped passes he'd have over a 70% completion percentage instead of the 60%.
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
10 out of the top 15 ranked offense are going to be in the playoffs. So YES we need to improve our overal offense production by about 100 yards a game. That means more 3rd down conversions, more total yards a game,less turnovers , which will turn into more chances for our offense to score.

A great offense will get you to the playoffs, and a great defense will keep you in the playoffs.

Much of that has to do with an improved oline, not QB. Look at Alex Smith's passing numbers he's above average on TDs and yards. Plus if you add the dropped passes he'd have over a 70% completion percentage instead of the 60%.

We diffently need to address the O-Line this off season. I would be happy if they brought in 1 dominate free agent and drafted another dominate player(for the line). We also need a speedy/shifty type of RB/WR to spread the field for the offense.( make the defense play honest) That in my opinion would help Gore rape some opposing defense's, and inturn slow up opposing defense's pass rush, giving Alex more time. It's Win Win for everybody.....
Originally posted by MadMartz:
Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
We are only above the Bills, the Raiders and the Browns. That is horrible. It doesnt matter how many turnovers we get per game, we wont be able to win any games against a decent defense if we do not improve. I am very skeptical about bringing Jimmy back. I am excited about the fact that we will finally have a continuation of our offense this offseason, but not happy that it has to be Jimmy Raye calling the plays again.

Oh ya, what do the Bills, the Raiders, and the Browns all have in common with the 49ers? Bad quarterback play. Its not a coincidence.

You're not telling the whole story here.

We're ranked 29th in one category only and that's total yards per game. We're ranked 19th in total points per game. We're ranked 15th in total passing TDs and 20th in rushing TDs. We're tied for 17th in pass plays of 20 or more yards, 19th in pass plays of 40+ yards, 19th overall in QB rating (this with two different QBs). We're ranked 8th overall in yards per carry, 9th overall in rushes of 20+ yards, and 3rd overall in rushes of 40+ yards.

Can our offense use some more help? Absolutely. Is it the 29th worst offense in the league? Not by a long shot.

Exactly, great post!

Agree, we just need to get better at converting our 3rd downs!
Yea, 29th is AWFUL!!! It tells us that the Niners are unable to move the ball consistently well. They struggle to get first downs. We all know that is true!

How many of you now love Singletary's old-school ways/philosophy? How many of you like Raye's play calling and schemes now? They have been really bad for offense. With the increased talent (Davis, Crabtree, Smith), Singletary and Raye have seemed to move this offense backwards....almost to last in the league.

Do you still want continuity? Continuity of mediocrity??
like the lions n rams have greatr qbs???
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
We are only above the Bills, the Raiders and the Browns. That is horrible. It doesnt matter how many turnovers we get per game, we wont be able to win any games against a decent defense if we do not improve. I am very skeptical about bringing Jimmy back. I am excited about the fact that we will finally have a continuation of our offense this offseason, but not happy that it has to be Jimmy Raye calling the plays again.

Oh ya, what do the Bills, the Raiders, and the Browns all have in common with the 49ers? Bad quarterback play. Its not a coincidence.

We're ranked 29th in one category only and that's total yards per game. We're ranked 19th in total points per game. We're ranked 15th in total passing TDs and 20th in rushing TDs. We're tied for 17th in pass plays of 20 or more yards, 19th in pass plays of 40+ yards, 19th overall in QB rating (this with two different QBs). We're ranked 8th overall in yards per carry, 9th overall in rushes of 20+ yards, and 3rd overall in rushes of 40+ yards.

Can our offense use some more help? Absolutely. Is it the 29th worst offense in the league? Not by a long shot.

Exactly, great post!

owned

...by lack of research.

The original poster could have saved himself this embarrassing owning by just looking a little deeper into the numbers, it is a shortcoming common on these boards. Is total yards even 1/10th as important as points scored? I think the offense performed admirably considering it was the first year with this OC, the change at QB, the change of offense mid season, and the terrible o line that precipitated that change.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Exactly, great post!

owned

...by lack of research.

The original poster could have saved himself this embarrassing owning by just looking a little deeper into the numbers, it is a shortcoming common on these boards. Is total yards even 1/10th as important as points scored? I think the offense performed admirably considering it was the first year with this OC, the change at QB, the change of offense mid season, and the terrible o line that precipitated that change.

How is his post embarrassing? Yes the overall yardage stat doesn't tell the whole story, but neither does total points. Our offense was handed over 5 turnovers in three games yet failed in most of their attempts to capitalize on those opportunities and as a defense we were +9 in takover ratio. Our defense was responsible for many of our offenes points. Also, a lot of their points came in late game rallies. Lets not kid ourselves, we are not a good offense by any stretch. Do you see any teams ranked 29th going to the playoffs? This whole continuity line is only valid if you have the right pieces in place. Jimmy Ray has never been better than average in his whole career, why are we expecting another year to be that much better? Turner and Martz both improved this offense (23rd and 26th) with far less pieces and worse defense in their only seasons here. Not only that but in the four seasons since 2005 we have actually regressed on the offensive line! How does that happen?

Since 2005 we have improved our overall rank on offense by three positions (32nd to 29th), improved passing rank by 8 positions (32nd-24th) and rushing rank declined by 8 position (17th to 25th).

This post is far from embarrasing and only a true homer would see it as. It's like listening to Bob Fitzgerald talk about how we need to have patience with the W's and how they're on the right track while the rest of the country sees the franchise for what it is, a train wreck.
I knew we were in the bottom half
[ Edited by chico49erfan on Jan 1, 2010 at 1:27 PM ]

Originally posted by skibeerski:

Exactly, great post!

owned

...by lack of research.

How is his post embarrassing? Yes the overall yardage stat doesn't tell the whole story, but neither does total points. Our offense was handed over 5 turnovers in three games yet failed in most of their attempts to capitalize on those opportunities and as a defense we were +9 in takover ratio. Our defense was responsible for many of our offenes points. Also, a lot of their points came in late game rallies. Lets not kid ourselves, we are not a good offense by any stretch. Do you see any teams ranked 29th going to the playoffs? This whole continuity line is only valid if you have the right pieces in place. Jimmy Ray has never been better than average in his whole career, why are we expecting another year to be that much better? Turner and Martz both improved this offense (23rd and 26th) with far less pieces and worse defense in their only seasons here. Not only that but in the four seasons since 2005 we have actually regressed on the offensive line! How does that happen?

Since 2005 we have improved our overall rank on offense by three positions (32nd to 29th), improved passing rank by 8 positions (32nd-24th) and rushing rank declined by 8 position (17th to 25th).

This post is far from embarrasing and only a true homer would see it as. It's like listening to Bob Fitzgerald talk about how we need to have patience with the W's and how they're on the right track while the rest of the country sees the franchise for what it is, a train wreck.

Total points scored is the single most important measure of an offense. Raye has had a top ten offense, so I guess top ten is average to you, I guess it is subjective. If you want to be a pessimistic, that is your call, but the offense isn't as bad as the yardage numbers say. Especially if you take into account all the mid season changes that were implemented. Have it your own way though. As far as how bad you think Raye is, he has improved this offense from 22nd ranked scoring under Martz to 19th.
I am the poster of this thread. How about this: These are the teams that have already clinched a playoff spot:

Saints: #1 offense in the league
Patriots: #2 offense in the league
Cowboys: #3 offense in the league
Packers: #4 offense in the league
Colts: #7 offense in the league
Vikings:#8 offense in the league
Eagles: #10 offense in the league
Chargers: #11 offense in the league
Cardinals:#12 offense in the league
Bengals:#20 offense in the league

These stats prove that total yards have a significent influence in winning a game. We are ranked #29. You guys still think that there is no connection between total yards and winning teams?
[ Edited by PatrickWillisHOF on Jan 1, 2010 at 1:44 PM ]
I am the poster of this thread. How about this: These are the teams that have already clinched a playoff spot:

Saints: #1 offense in the league
Patriots: #2 offense in the league
Cowboys: #3 offense in the league
Packers: #4 offense in the league
Colts: #7 offense in the league
Vikings:#8 offense in the league
Eagles: #10 offense in the league
Chargers: #11 offense in the league
Cardinals:#12 offense in the league
Bengals:#20 offense in the league

These stats prove that total yards have a significent influence in winning a game. We are ranked #29. You guys still think that there is no connection between total yards and winning teams?

How about posting the scoring ranks for these teams?
Scoring Ranks:

Saints:#1
Chargers:#2
Eagles:#3
Packers#4
Vikings:#5
Colts:#6
Patriots:#7
Cardinals:#10
Cowboys:#14
Bengals:#18

49ers:#19

8 out of the 10 playoffs teams are ranked in the top 10 when it comes to scoring.
Originally posted by skibeerski:

Exactly, great post!

owned

...by lack of research.

Total points scored is the single most important measure of an offense. Raye has had a top ten offense, so I guess top ten is average to you, I guess it is subjective. If you want to be a pessimistic, that is your call, but the offense isn't as bad as the yardage numbers say. Especially if you take into account all the mid season changes that were implemented. Have it your own way though. As far as how bad you think Raye is, he has improved this offense from 22nd ranked scoring under Martz to 19th.

I agree, scoring is the most important stat. I'm not arguing that point But what I am saying is that is more a product of our defense giving the niners good field position and late game come-from behind rallies. Anyone that watched this offense all season knows that other than the over the middle Vernon Davis/Alex Smith connection our offense looked awful most of the time. If Martz had the ball as often and with as good a field position i guarantee he'd have more points than Raye this year. Yes Raye had one top 10 offense, but look at the complete record and it's very unimpressive. I don't care what talent he had wherever he was, Martz and turner did better with far less than Raye had this year. I'd like to think the Raye and Smith relationship will flourish with another year but this past year was anything but an indication it will do anything more than improve slightly. I hope I'm wrong and you're right, believe me.
Share 49ersWebzone