LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 207 users in the forums

Do you think Vernon will stay a 9er in the near future?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do you think Vernon will stay a 9er in the near future?

As we all know, Vernon has finally had that "breakout" year that we have been waiting for. Vernon is one of the most competitive players on this team, and I am curious to see if he sticks around. I know how frustrated he must be after being told year after year "this is the year we make the playoffs". I dont know what his contract situation is like, but I just cant see him stickin around once his contract is up because he wants to WIN. Him and Singletary have built a strong relationship and this may help, but I dont see him stayin a 49er much longer. I'm sure there are going to be a lot of teams interested in him now. What do you guys think?
I think he will stay for sure if:

1) we pay him like a top 3 TE
&
2) we become a playoff caliber team to contend for a SB

those are the only 2 main factors for players...
This off season will tell us for sure. I think he will but we will be paying high dollar for him as well as for Willis.
I hope he does.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by ginseng1000:

&

There's no reason not to do #1. Brent Celek just got a big contract and VD is at least that good.

We're really close to #2. I also think that VD has some loyalty to Sing as well for turning around his career.
I voted no, only because after Jimmy Raye gets canned, and we get another OC who doesn't know how to use Davis, his stats will go back down.
Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by ginseng1000:

&

There's no reason not to do #1. Brent Celek just got a big contract and VD is at least that good.

We're really close to #2. I also think that VD has some loyalty to Sing as well for turning around his career.

I agree, no reason why we can't pay him like a top TE. I'm just doubtful the niner's organization will shell out the money and pay him like a #1 TE......
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I voted no, only because after Jimmy Raye gets canned, and we get another OC who doesn't know how to use Davis, his stats will go back down.

Yes because...

1) He likes Singletary.

2) We will Franchise Tag him if we have to. And we may do that.

IMO we will pay him whatever it takes. And we should. He's one of the best players we have on offense and one of the best we have had in a good long while.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Yes because...

1) He likes Singletary.

IMO we will pay him whatever it takes. And we should. He's one of the best players we have on offense and one of the best we have had in a good long while.

you know i put Pwilly and Davis in the same category. I personally think they are devoted to Sing. So if for some reason, we tank next year, and we clean house, and they let Sing go, in their contract years. We may franchise one, but the other may leave.

I think they both believe in Sing, and when he's gone, i think they'll leave as well.

As long as Sing is here Vernon will be here! Sing is his Daddy!
[ Edited by MadMartz on Dec 31, 2009 at 9:18 PM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Yes because...

1) He likes Singletary.

Yeah we need to resign him while Singletary is still coach. He credits Singletary for his turnaround so I'd hope he has some loyalty. We just need to start winning next year.
Yes. He will be a marketing machine this offseason.
I can see the ads with him and Willis already.
Both will get PAID
Gore will fall out of the limelight a little bit.
i sure hope so. i hate losing star players and we haven't lost one since T.O. so it would be hard to sink in.
i dont see Davis leaving. we stuck with him long enough until he broke out, and without Sing, i dont see him being successful in the NFL.

he needs Sing to kick him in the pants every now and again. im pretty sure Patrick Willis and VD are the 2 closest to Sing, and will stay with the team for at least as long as he is here no matter what.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Jan 1, 2010 at 2:43 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone