There are 217 users in the forums

Is Moran Norris a wasted roster spot

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Norris is a OL who lines up in the backfield. Miller couldnt hold Norris's jock when it comes to blocking. That being said if the 9ers are going spread next season then they need to keep Norris for there goalline plays. You got to remember that the 9ers are light in the ass. If the go more traditional offense next year then I see a more versatile FB coming in...maybe Miller, draft or RObinson(just wont quit trying with him)
no
Yes.

In fact defensive players key on him.

1) Norris in = 90% chance of run.
2) Norris as a runner = not a threat (so why bother)
3) Norris as pass receiver = not a threat (so why bother)

We need a more versatile Fullback ala Tom Rathman.

Threat as a runner, threat as a receiver, and can block.

When was the last time you saw Norris gain 1 yard. You know how hard it is for the 49ers to convert 4 and 1??? Thats why we started to pass because we have fullback that can't gain 1 freaking yard.

Ask yourself= when Tom Rathman was in, was it going to be pass? or run? YOu don't know... They can even fake to him, then he leak out and catch the pass himself.

Norris in = 90% of the time = straight ahead run... 1/2 yard gain if we are lucky

Norris is a tree stump get a real football player like Rathman
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Where's the "I hate Smith" part?

I dont hate him, I just hate the fact that he sucks.

But dont get me started on that.

just think of it this way, if YOU went out there and tried it, youd make Smith look like a fusion of Joe Montana and Dan Marino.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
I'd really love to see Michael Robinson at FB full-time.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by GEEK:
I'd really love to see Michael Robinson at FB full-time.

Isn't M-Rob a little on the small side to be a good full back?
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
Norris is a OL who lines up in the backfield. Miller couldnt hold Norris's jock when it comes to blocking. That being said if the 9ers are going spread next season then they need to keep Norris for there goalline plays. You got to remember that the 9ers are light in the ass. If the go more traditional offense next year then I see a more versatile FB coming in...maybe Miller, draft or RObinson(just wont quit trying with him)

Norris is a horrid blocker. On Sunday's game we missed that 4th and 1 because Norris fell flat on his face and didn't block anybody. You can't count on him to consistently block, and half the time if he does get a block in it's a chop block which is horrible when you're a FB since the defensive player as a much easier chance of just jumping over you. He can't catch and he's slow as all get out.
Is Alex Smith a wasted roster spot? I mean, he does ok with that throwing the ball thing - but that's really it. He doesn't really bring much to our run game. He doesn't even play special teams! Maybe we need someone else with more versatilty?
Originally posted by MontanaSBGod:
Yes.

When was the last time you saw Norris gain 1 yard. You know how hard it is for the 49ers to convert 4 and 1??? Thats why we started to pass because we have fullback that can't gain 1 freaking yard.

Ask yourself= when Tom Rathman was in, was it going to be pass? or run? YOu don't know... They can even fake to him, then he leak out and catch the pass himself.

Norris in = 90% of the time = straight ahead run... 1/2 yard gain if we are lucky

All of this is why I was screaming for us to draft Tony Fiametta this year! The guy is a monster blocker that loves contact! He didn't get many touches, so a bit raw, but has great speed for a FB. With Rathman coaching him, he could have really developed in the passing game.
Hell yeah he is.

I mean think about it, as much as people point out that MRob is not a FB he could do the same thing, is faster and has hands. Misuse of talent #1.

Then you have Brit Miller. The man IS a FB is definitely faster and has shown that he has hands as well. Misuse of talent #2. Although due to 1st year status.

Now I like Norris, but I said this back when he was cut. He's aging and slow. The opposing teams don't pick him off well but they do account for him because he's only going to do two things and they both address the Run game.

Sorry Frank, but Moran. We could get the same production from MRob and Miller. It's a no brainer to go another direction.

I'm tired of seeing the inept misuse of talent. Granted I didn't realize just how inept it was until this season, but now that WE the fans see it the Coaching staff better get their $4|t wired. Cause nobody is going to be satisfied with ANYTHING less than Playoffs in '10.

Hell I see that being our New Years resolution. I know it's mine for this year.

~Ceadder

Originally posted by RDB4216:
Originally posted by MontanaSBGod:
Yes.

All of this is why I was screaming for us to draft Tony Fiametta this year! The guy is a monster blocker that loves contact! He didn't get many touches, so a bit raw, but has great speed for a FB. With Rathman coaching him, he could have really developed in the passing game.

*Ahem*

Brit Miller?

We don't NEED to draft a FB. We have one. Imagine what Rath can do with THAT kid. Would love to see Norris deactivated for this game and Miller brought up to work it out on the field in a live fire exercise.

~Ceadder
Miller is younger, bigger, faster and has better hands.
[ Edited by insanemike27 on Jan 1, 2010 at 5:06 AM ]
Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by wolfpack52:

Norris is a horrid blocker. On Sunday's game we missed that 4th and 1 because Norris fell flat on his face and didn't block anybody. You can't count on him to consistently block, and half the time if he does get a block in it's a chop block which is horrible when you're a FB since the defensive player as a much easier chance of just jumping over you. He can't catch and he's slow as all get out.

Do you think Miller is a better blocker? On that play you gotta remember that the whole line was in the back field. And I gues you didnt read my whole post because I said he should only be in on goalline plays if the 9ers go spread next year because otherwise a ol school FB wont be needed anyway.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Let's see Frank missed 3 games yet still:

1) rushed for over 1,000 yards (4th in a row)
2) has over 10 Tds
3) is 5th in the NFC in yardage
4) Pro Bowl first alternate

I guess that answers the question

Originally posted by susweel:
This guy is a good lead blocker and nothing else. He brings nothing in the passing game due to the fact that he is super slow. If is only purpose is lead blocking on running plays why cant they just have a back up offensive or defensive lineman or back linebacker to do that job. I just dont see any reason that he should be on the roster other then that. Players need to be more versatile and do other stuff.

I actually agree with this and think Michael Robinson can be the FB (freeing up a roster spot and making Robinson's even more valuable. We rarely have a FB in the backfield anyways.
Share 49ersWebzone