LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Is Moran Norris a wasted roster spot

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I think we need more of a pass catching threat out of that position esp since Raye says he likes his versatility to come from personnel (ie Walker, who covers him? A safety? LB?). If we had more of a pass catching threat it wouldn't telegraph run to the defense any more.
Originally posted by susweel:
This guy is a good lead blocker and nothing else. He brings nothing in the passing game due to the fact that he is super slow. If is only purpose is lead blocking on running plays why cant they just have a back up offensive or defensive lineman or back linebacker to do that job. I just dont see any reason that he should be on the roster other then that. Players need to be more versatile and do other stuff.

Ah yes, the most controversial poster on the Zone strikes again. Just keep away from Brian Jennings and we will be cool.
Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Are we serious here???

Gore runs better with a lead blocker. And it's as simple as that!!!

I'm convinced that Brit Miller will be a better FB than Norris.

I agree that Brit would be an upgrade to Norris at the FB position. I think Norris is just too one dimensional now. It seems that he is only used for lead blocking, which I guess is the primary role of the FB. I think if you have a more diverse FB, then it will help make the offense less predictable. If you have a FB that can run block, pass block and catch. Then it makes the defense have to think about whats the offense is doing. Oppose to Norris coming in and pretty much letting the defense know its a run play up the middle.
yeah the 49ers can use a better true lead fullback with pass catching abilitys. norris is losing a step or two and sometimes doesnt always block his guy consistent enough.
Originally posted by sj49er408:
yeah the 49ers can use a better true lead fullback with pass catching abilitys. norris is losing a step or two and sometimes doesnt always block his guy consistent enough.

Not being able to block your guy on a crucial 1 or 2 yard plays is not acceptable! Especially when we are supposed to be a power running team, when we started the season. Isn't that the reason why Norris was brought back on the team this year. To solve those short yardage problems. Then again all the blame can't be put on Norris, there are 5 other guys involved as well. Yes, O-line I am referring to you. It makes me when they can't get 1 yard or less to keep the chains moving. Then having to watch Andy Lee trot on the field to punt his way to another ProBowl . I like Andy Lee and all, but I would love to see a QB, WR, OL, DL or DB make it next year!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by OX49er253:
This guy is a good lead blocker and nothing else. He brings nothing in the passing game due to the fact that he is super slow. If is only purpose is lead blocking on running plays why cant they just have a back up offensive or defensive lineman or back linebacker to do that job. I just dont see any reason that he should be on the roster other then that. Players need to be more versatile and do other stuff.

Ah yes, the most controversial poster on the Zone strikes again. Just keep away from Brian Jennings and we will be cool.

Im most controversial poster on Zone, wow I never thought I would hold that title.

I maybe controversial but Im not stupid, noway in hell would I ever say anything bad about Brian Jennings.
He's more valuable than Michael Robinson.
He is when we overuse the stupid spread. It's amazing even with our lackluster guards we can still run the ball pretty good, but we decided to play to the (few) strengths of our quarterback, instead of playing to the strength of our offense and our best offensive player, GIVE 21 THE BALL.
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Where's the "I hate Smith" part?

I dont hate him, I just hate the fact that he sucks.

But dont get me started on that.

He doesn't suck. Based on his numbers alone he's probably an above average NFL QB right now.

Who do consider average, Jamarcus Russell ?

Guys:

this Smith fixation isn't funny any more. The guy at the head of this quote was being funny and you made his point for him.

Is there any subject that you won't end up interrupting and arguing about our quarterbacks?

There are about 30,000 knocking threads for b***hing about Smith. Isn't this enough?

Watched the 88-89 NFC title game the other day and couldn't believe how many starters played on special teams back then. Rathman played on kick and punt coverage teams at least from what I saw. He had 10 carries for 36 yds and 1td. He also caught 5 passes for 51 yards. That kind of production out of the FB position would make todays Niners a hell of a lot better.

Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

Watched the 88-89 NFC title game the other day and couldn't believe how many starters played on special teams back then. Rathman played on kick and punt coverage teams at least from what I saw. He had 10 carries for 36 yds and 1td. He also caught 5 passes for 51 yards. That kind of production out of the FB position would make todays Niners a hell of a lot better.

I loved the way we used Rathman. I thought Tommy Vardell would be an action replay but that didn't work out! Neither did Marc Edwards.

Still think there is room for a pukka fullback in today's NFL.
Originally posted by English:

I loved the way we used Rathman. I thought Tommy Vardell would be an action replay but that didn't work out! Neither did Marc Edwards.

No doubt English, he was suprisingly agile, had great hands and was one tough SOB that would destroy anyone blitzing. Wish we had him in the lineup.

No doubt English, he was suprisingly agile, had great hands and was one tough SOB that would destroy anyone blitzing. Wish we had him in the lineup.

You and me both! Frank and Tom. Wow!
Originally posted by TT49ers:
Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Are we serious here???

Gore runs better with a lead blocker. And it's as simple as that!!!

I'm convinced that Brit Miller will be a better FB than Norris.

I agree that Brit would be an upgrade to Norris at the FB position. I think Norris is just too one dimensional now. It seems that he is only used for lead blocking, which I guess is the primary role of the FB. I think if you have a more diverse FB, then it will help make the offense less predictable. If you have a FB that can run block, pass block and catch. Then it makes the defense have to think about whats the offense is doing. Oppose to Norris coming in and pretty much letting the defense know its a run play up the middle.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

Rathman is near the top of my all-time favorite Niners.
Share 49ersWebzone