There are 145 users in the forums

Doubts about Smith still exist

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Okay guys, here's the truth.

Alex Smith had a score himself with an easy bootleg touchdown run last Sunday.

Instead, he kept his head, and saw his teammate shake open on the back corner of the end zone...and to give his teammate a realistic shot at an NFL record this weekend, he pulled up and tossed him the ball.

Kids, that is what a leader does. That is what a team player does. He looks out for his guys.

He me showed more on that play than he has all season. In addition, he's got an 80.2 QB rating, he's completing 60% of his passes, and he's thrown 17 TDs in 10 games. If you guys can't see that he's grown as a player and a leader, you're blind.

Is he great? No. Has he gotten dramatically better than he has ever been? Hell yes.

Are you really gonna fault him for beating a bad team? Are you really gonna bag on Smith for doing what his very conservative coach asked him to? Are you really gonna bag on Smith for failing to put up Pro Bowl numbers with a Toilet Bowl line?

Please...table the hate, it's starting to make you look silly.

That's not a great QB rating. It needs to be 90+. Also the completion percentage needs to at 65% or more.

There will always be doubt about Alex Smith until he proves otherwise.

No it isn't great but if you place his stats in context and see his numbers have improved each year he is healthy then you'll know there is sign of hope.

I don't get it why Smith haters don't focus on other more needed areas of help for this team. Looks at OLB. Haralson is slow and needs to be replaced. I hope Brooks starts over him. But then you have Lawson who can't pass rush worth crap. In a 3-4 the OLBs are the guys who should be getting the most sacks. Also, what about Clements. He's slow and overpaid for the CB position. Moving him to safety at his salary is silly. What do we do? Also, do we let Lewis start again next year? The guy is slow and not getting any younger. What about offensive line? It is the weakest part of this team but instead we have 20 threads on Alex Smith.

Because QB is the most important position on any team. This is QB driven league now days. There is no more 00' Ravens, 02 Bucs championship teams. You can win with a good not great defense and a great passing game.

Instead, he kept his head, and saw his teammate shake open on the back corner of the end zone...and to give his teammate a realistic shot at an NFL record this weekend, he pulled up and tossed him the ball.

Kids, that is what a leader does. That is what a team player does. He looks out for his guys.

He me showed more on that play than he has all season. In addition, he's got an 80.2 QB rating, he's completing 60% of his passes, and he's thrown 17 TDs in 10 games. If you guys can't see that he's grown as a player and a leader, you're blind.

Is he great? No. Has he gotten dramatically better than he has ever been? Hell yes.

Are you really gonna fault him for beating a bad team? Are you really gonna bag on Smith for doing what his very conservative coach asked him to? Are you really gonna bag on Smith for failing to put up Pro Bowl numbers with a Toilet Bowl line?

That's not a great QB rating. It needs to be 90+. Also the completion percentage needs to at 65% or more.

Stop waiting for Smith to become Joe Montana.

Your post seems to indicate that you are one of the great many Niner fans that still expect this team to win every game.

Get realistic. Set actual expectations, and expect a team with a rookie HC, a first year OC, a rookie #1 receiver, a sh*tty OL and a QB that hasn't played in 2 years to finish where they should: somewhere between 7-9 and 9-7.

Also...next time, read the whole post. I never said he was there...just that he was getting better. Which he is.
Originally posted by elguapo:
GUESS WHAT??? The Vikes bears and GB play the Lions 2 times a year and don't shut them down like we do. They may put up more points....but they do not shut them down.

Is that seriously an argument that there should be no doubts about Alex Smith because the defense shut down the 2-13 Lions??? And of course they put up more points...just about everybody put up more points on the Lions than we did. That is the problem.
[ Edited by mrgneissguy on Dec 31, 2009 at 9:55 AM ]

Your post seems to indicate that you are one of the great many Niner fans that still expect this team to win every game.

Get realistic. Set actual expectations, and expect a team with a rookie HC, a first year OC, a rookie #1 receiver, a sh*tty OL and a QB that hasn't played in 2 years to finish where they should: somewhere between 7-9 and 9-7.

Also...next time, read the whole post. I never said he was there...just that he was getting better. Which he is.

Logic in Niner Talk??? Come on Legbreaker you know better than that...
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:

Logic in Niner Talk??? Come on Legbreaker you know better than that...

Good point amigo. Good point
Originally posted by 9er2631:

yeah how dare we question Smith. He really took this team on his back when it mattered and we beat Seattle and Phili on the road and are heading to the playoffs finally for the first time in 7 years....oh wait...that didn't happen.

I am over progression, baby steps, etc. I want results and wins when it matters. I want WINNERS!

yeah how dare we question Smith. He really took this team on his back when it mattered and we beat Seattle and Phili on the road and are heading to the playoffs finally for the first time in 7 years....oh wait...that didn't happen.

I am over progression, baby steps, etc. I want results and wins when it matters. I want WINNERS!

Yeah.

Because the defense and special teams had nothing to do with either the Seattle or Philly losses.

Yup. Smith lost those games all by himself, right?

C'mon dude. You can do better than that.
Alex AND the offense didn't blow in the first half. The running game was doing just fine. Alex sucked.

I'm not waiting, you guys are. I guess asking for decent QB in San Francisco to take us back to the Super Bowl is asking too much now.
Originally posted by DesiDez:
If you honestly think that Smith that is gonna develop into a clutch performer who thrives in pressure situations and comes up big in big games, you're setting yourself up for major disappointment.

The Seattle game and Philly game pretty much sealed the deal for me. He had an opportunity to prove to everybody, us, and the NFL, that he could possibly achieve greatness, but he failed BIG TIME. Seattle, really?

His supporter point to his Houston and GB games as evidence that he could move the football. WRONG. Smith only moved the offense when the team was already down by 20 points in each game. Of course, he can move the ball, not because of his ability, but because the other team pretty much took their foot of the gas pedal. The same thing happened in Philly. Philly took a commanding lead, played conservative, and Smith moved the offense but he had to make a play, he failed again.

When he went toe-to-toe with Vince Young and Tenn through 3 quarters, he failed again in the 4th and threw, I think, 2 ints.

When Chicago, Arizona, and Detroit, pretty much handed him the game with 18 total TOs, Michael Lewis had to pick off Cutler for the 5th time in the endzone on the last play of the game to win it and Arizona had to cough up the football for its 5th fumble.

Singletary, all of people, went against his whole "Fhysical Offense/ 60-40 run-to-pass ratio" philosophy to cater to Alex's apparent ability to move the ball in the offense, and Alex still struggled.

Say what you want about the OL, but the OL gave up less sacks when Alex went to the spread. LINK for the stans

The OL has only given up 6 sacks in the past 5 games, while they gave up 13 in Alex's first 4 games. The OL has improved, but sadly Alex hasn't.

Yeah.

Because the defense and special teams had nothing to do with either the Seattle or Philly losses.

Alex hasn't been a big factor in helping this team win. He freezes when needed. His rating is 64 when up by 8 but drops to 50 when down by a TD. Yes we all want hope but you have to be real and also know that his light he shines at the end of the tunnel is faint.
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Alex has his passes batted down because he telegraphs his passes and stares down his WRs

One Lion DT actually stuck his arm in the air a good two seconds before Smith through the ball, and Smith, displaying his "accuracy", somehow managed to hit the arm.

Darnell Dockett chose not to rush on his two plays in the 2nd Cardinals game and literally waited for Smith to throw the ball and got his own interception.

The over/under right now on the Rams game for batted balls is 5, according to Vegas. Take the over.

Yeah the announcer I think it was Charles Davis pointed that right out. Smith threw the ball right at DT's hands. They were up well before Alex released the throw. Incredible.
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
Smith is finally gonna have an off season without a new system, If he doesnt get it done in 2010 he`s gone...

Amen. That's been my perspective.

Yeah.

But, But, But.....did he WIN The game for us. NO. Of course a loss doesnt fall 100% to the QB, but how about when all else is failing the QB takes the team on his back for once, 1 time and bails us out and wins. That is what a Playoff QB does. He steps up when it counts. Alex has never and will never do this. Plain and simple. How many games has Gore carried this team almost singlehandedly to a win? That is why he is a great player. He steps up.
"Did the 49ers do well in the game? No one knows because they played the Lions."

"Should we praise the 49ers for the win? No one knows because they played the Lions."

"Did Alex Smith cement his status as a legitimate starting quarterback, as the 49ers’ quarterback of the future? No one knows because they played the Lions'

Cohn is correct. We learned more about Alex in the previous two games (Cardinals,Eagles) then we did against the crappy Lions.
Share 49ersWebzone