There are 150 users in the forums

What do we need to improve on to make the playoffs next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1. Improve the O line play.
2. Convert 3rd downs
3. Learn how to finish games
4. Avoid the big play in the secondary (this killed us in a couple of games)

We lost a bunch of close games that could have easily been won. For example.......

Vikings L 24-27
Texans L 21-24
Colts L 14-18
Titans L 27-34
Packers L 24-30
Seahawks L 17-20

This boils down to inexperience for the players as a whole, and for the coaching staff. They need to evauate the game film during the offseason to pinpoint the things that they failed to do at the end of games (minor attention to detail issues) and correct them. As close as we came this season, and considering the maturity and continuity that should take place during the offseason, and the fact that we have two first rounders in the draft.........I think we'll be fine come next season.
Fellas until we get pro-bowl talent that is latent with speed we will continue to be an average at best football team. Speed kills that is one thing that you cannot teach and that is speed! Pro-bowl talent speed at the skill position and a innovator at the coordinator positions! That is a winning recipe!
  • nj49erfan
  • Info N/A
1st Round Draft
- RT - four 1st round talent tackles in the draft. Get one!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- PR/RB - CJ Spiller He will be amazing in the spread especially as a reciever out of the backfield and lets be honest Gore is gettin close to that magic 30 number all RB's dread.
- Then draft best player available in the rest of the draft.

FA
New
- LG - Logan Mankins - This is not an option. We passed on Alan Faneca and now the Jets have one of the best Olines in the league. Dont make this mistake again. Also I I think Staley is a pro bowl type player but needs a veteran prescence to help him.
- FS - OJ Atogwe and move Goldson to SS. This way both can play in the box and in coverage. Should stop the big play from happening on our secondary.

Re-Sign
- Franklin - offer reasonable deal if he turns it down franchise him
- Simms - back up LT
- Brooks (even if he is restircted lock him up long term for a cheap deal before he has a monster year)
- Pashos - if willing to do another one year deal and battle for playing time

Cut/Do Not Sign
- If Pashos signs (kick Snyder in to guard) - Baas and Cody Wallace or Tony Wragge
- If Pashos does not sign (leave snyder as back up RT) - Wallace or Wragge
- Battle - thanks for the memories
- Others based on players drafted

Honestly with a new Oline, spiller comin out the backfield and Crabs havin a full offseason under his belt there is no reason this offense could not be top 10.

I dont think this is too far fetched especially considering Atogwe is coming off a down year where he was hurt a lot.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
The O-Line needs to get a LOT better. At a minimum, that means drafting a Tackle in the first round. But if a quality guard is available in FA, we should go get him. Also, we should be looking for the eventual heir to Eric Heitman. (Wallace? Doubt it.)

We need to get better in the secondary. CB play has been sub par. We might get some help in the draft but rookie DBs don't usually make an impact. Adding a FA Corner and moving Clements to Safety might do it.

We absolutely must find a punt returner. Battle and Jones are perhaps the worst in the league.

I'm 95% sure that Alex Smith will be the QB next year. He's good enough (or will be next year) to keep the seat warm, but McCloughan needs to find a franchise QB... and Smith will never be that guy. Continue to develop Davis, but consider drafting a QB on the second day. Of course, this won't help us get better next year, but you have to be thinking of Smith as an interim solution while keeping one eye on the future.

Another play maker on Offense. A speedy RB to compliment Gore, or a dangerous slot Receiver.
Oline play
coaching (gameplan/moves)
QB/WR play
DB play
[ Edited by ninersrule4 on Dec 31, 2009 at 4:25 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
better players
Everything!
More wins!!
Scoring more points than the other team.
Positions that needed to be upgraded through Draft or Free Agency.

Offense:

1. [O-line] No surprise here. Mainly the LT, LG and maybe Center position. To much pressure is coming from the left side and up the middle. Move Staley back to his natural position at RT and add a LT or LG with your #1 pick from the draft and get LT or LG in FA depending on what you draft.
  2. [OL Coach] I understand a player for getting beat. But there is no excuse for a O-line, TE, FB or RB letting a Defensive player rushing in untouched. There needs to be better communication between everyone on knowing who to block. Thats all on the OL Coach on not just talking about pass protection, but run blocking as well.
  3. [FB] Norris is not what he used to be. I think replacing him with Brit Miller is a better option. Either let Norris go or having be a back and mentor Brit.
  4. [WR/PR] someone mentioned we need a speed guy. This will help with our vertical pass game, which will benefit AS, Crabs, VD and Gore. Having a speed guy will force the safeties to pay attention to him and allow more room for Crabs, VD and Gore to work with.

Defense:

1. [DE] I think we are okay there, just need to be more discipline when rushing the QB. I see to manytimes that they lose containment on the QB and let him move outside the pocket giving the QB extra time to get off a pass. Plus they over persuit to the QB on the screens. This puts them out of position when a screen pass is thrown their way. I think Julius Peppers would be a great pick up through FA.
  2. [SS] I like Micheal Lewis, he gives it his all. The problem is he is only good on run support now. He isn't fast enough to keep up with a speed receiver anymore. The guy hits hard, but he is getting over to help the CB way to late. So the other 1st Round Draft Pick goes for this position. I think he should still be on the team and pretty groom the new SS for the starting SS position in 2011.
  3. [FS] The less I see of Mark Roman the better, I think Goldston is coming on strong and will only get better.
  4. [CB] I think once the DE and SS positions get upgraded, it will help the cornerbacks in coverage. I like having Nate, Spencer, Bly and Harris if healthy and can still play. Is a decent CB core.

Special Teams:

1. [KR/PR] I mentioned some of this earlier, in regards to the WR position. I think having a decent not even great but decent return guy will make a positive difference in the return game. How many times must I watch the return guy muff a kick-off or punt, let the ball bounce on the field, or even fair catch a returnable punt. I am tired of not having one return guy that can change a game in a positive way for the team. Wouldn't be nice to have a smart, sure handed, speed returner who can take it the distance everytime he touches the football. I know he is out there, we have enough draft picks and cap room to either draft one or find one in FA.

Last Thoughts:

Once these changes are made and the core players stay together and build chemistry with eachother. This will be an exciting draft, training camp, preseason, regular season and hopefully playoffs. I want to see a team that knows what they are running on offense, be consistant on defense, and not hurt themselves on offense and specail teams. Since we don't have to worry about who are HC, OC, QB, or if our Draft pick going to be in camp or not (Cross my fingers). It will allow the team to work on football related issues. Like developing a balance offense, O-line run and pass blocking, pass rush, running routes, catching balls, leading receivers, reading defenses...just to name a few. Continuity might not be a bad thing after all. The last time we had that I think we were in the playoffs, go figure!
[ Edited by TT49ers on Dec 31, 2009 at 7:30 PM ]

Share 49ersWebzone