LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 299 users in the forums

Sudden change in team needs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by wailers15:
Goldie will play better as a SS. He's not a ball hawk, but a damn good tackler

And who will be our FS? They ain't easy to find.
Originally posted by swim4speed:
I liked the progress of Goldson and Brooks this season. They are still very new, so we don't know if they can be counted on yet.

Clements shuts down everybody? No way. Nate gets burnt a lot!! He tackles very well, but is not a shut down corner. The best corners on the Niners right now are Spencer and Bly.

2 OL in the first 3 rounds for sure! Plus, lets get a new OL coach!

Totally agree with this. Nate is good, but not a shut down CB. OL coach - YES.

Top priority is the OL, then we look for a PR/KR. Next IMO would be a pass rusher and then help in the secondary.

The premise is always to take "the best player available"; but it should also be "best player available that we need".
[ Edited by kemp_j on Dec 31, 2009 at 4:26 AM ]
Originally posted by swim4speed:
I liked the progress of Goldson and Brooks this season. They are still very new, so we don't know if they can be counted on yet.

Clements shuts down everybody? No way. Nate gets burnt a lot!! He tackles very well, but is not a shut down corner. The best corners on the Niners right now are Spencer and Bly.

2 OL in the first 3 rounds for sure! Plus, lets get a new OL coach!

New O-line coach for sure!
Fellas the OL is the foundation of a football team once we find that out then our team will make the transition from mediocre to a winner. You can bring in a new coach but until you change the personnel you will have the same outcomes. We need speed at cornerback, strong safety, the other Ilb spot opposite willis and at the OLb position because the way Mcnabb ran away from parys was just totally embarrasing! That is the second time this year where I saw someone score on him that if he had speed and determination he could have stopped. Let's make the changes that need to be made. Don't get emotionally connected to these sorry players. If the 49ers can trade Joe Montana than why in the hell do you want to keep alex smith? You guys scare me I'm going to sit on the stew!
Take Joe Haden and then the best available O lineman; Here are Joe's 2008 Stats;

CAREER: Became the first true freshman to start at cornerback on opening day in UF history in 2007...Has started 26 games at cornerback for the Gators.

2008: Started all 14 games at cornerback...His 87 tackles on the season ranked second on the team and first among defensive backs...Led the defense in the BCS National Championship game with 10 tackles and two pass break-ups...First among Gator defenders with eight tackles in the SEC Championship Game against Alabama, including six solo...Also made his third interception of the season and returned it 24 yards while collecting two pass break-ups against Alabama...Led the Gator defense with 10 total tackles (seven solo), one pass break-up and an interception that was returned 88 yards against Georgia...The 88-yard interception return matched the fourth-longest in school history and was the longest in the SEC for the 2008 season...Blocked a field goal that led to a Florida touchdown in the win over Kentucky...Had 11 tackles and an interception inside the red zone in the win at Arkansas...Collected five tackles, half a sack, half a tackle-for-loss, broke up one pass, forced a fumble and recovered a fumble in the season opener against Hawaii.
CAREER DEFENSIVE STATISTICS

Year UT-AT TT TBL QBS FF FR PD INT

2007 43-20 63 3.5 0 0 1 12 1

2008 61-26 87 0.5 0.5 1 1 12 3

Totals: 104-46 150 4.0 0.5 1 2 24 4

HADEN’S CAREER HIGHS

Tackles: 13 (Kentucky, 2007)

QB Sacks: 0.5 (Hawaii, 2008)

Forced Fumbles: 1 (Hawaii, 2008)

Interceptions: 1 (4x, last vs. Alabama, 2008)
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Chico:
I don't think we need DB at all...We have fast corners in Spencer and Brown. We need OL and more DL...We just had a ton of turnovers in the past weeks so that must say something. We need to control the ball on offense and get points!

Disagree. Its not about speed at all its about ability and skill WITH speed. Would anyone here pass up the option of a Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie type because we think we have speed the secondary?

I'm sorry, but whilst our need for O-Line and a consistent pass rush is still fresh the fact is an improved secondary is exactly what we need. If that meand drafting a CB in the 1st round then thats what we MUST do.
Originally posted by Envy:
I don't think we need DB at all...We have fast corners in Spencer and Brown. We need OL and more DL...We just had a ton of turnovers in the past weeks so that must say something. We need to control the ball on offense and get points!

Disagree. Its not about speed at all its about ability and skill WITH speed. Would anyone here pass up the option of a Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie type because we think we have speed the secondary?

I'm sorry, but whilst our need for O-Line and a consistent pass rush is still fresh the fact is an improved secondary is exactly what we need. If that meand drafting a CB in the 1st round then thats what we MUST do.

Agreed. We need more speed on defense. Lewis is very slow now. When Clements comes back he'll be even slower than before at CB. Harlason got beat in a foot race with an old QB in McNabb. Spikes isn't getting any younger.

I think the only positions we actually have above average speed on defense is MLB (Willis) and OLB (Lawson and Brooks) plus CB when Brown is playing.
Originally posted by taney71:

Agreed. We need more speed on defense. Lewis is very slow now. When Clements comes back he'll be even slower than before at CB. Harlason got beat in a foot race with an old QB in McNabb. Spikes isn't getting any younger.

I think the only positions we actually have above average speed on defense is MLB (Willis) and OLB (Lawson and Brooks) plus CB when Brown is playing.

Yea they really do need more speed. Taht's why they match up well against Arizona b/c they have ore of the big post up jump ball wr's. But against teams liek the Eagles and Green Bay they just get smoked.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by taney71:

Yea they really do need more speed. Taht's why they match up well against Arizona b/c they have ore of the big post up jump ball wr's. But against teams liek the Eagles and Green Bay they just get smoked.

So do we focus on getting better on defense or offense in the early rounds of the draft? We have two 1st round picks so we could do both I guess but you never know how things shape up on draft day (or night now).
Sudden change? Sorry, don't buy that at all. The Niners still need safety help (.....Lewis and Roman should be history next year), a consistent pass rush (......Haraylson and Manny have only 9 sacks combined), and offensive line help (....don't you remember the Marvel Smith, Tony Pashos signings?). The only thing that has changed suddenly is the need for a KR (.....we had Rossum to begin the year). The needs are more pronounced then ever.......

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Sudden change? Sorry, don't buy that at all. The Niners still need safety help (.....Lewis and Roman should be history next year), a consistent pass rush (......Haraylson and Manny have only 9 sacks combined), and offensive line help (....don't you remember the Marvel Smith, Tony Pashos signings?). The only thing that has changed suddenly is the need for a KR (.....we had Rossum to begin the year). The needs are more pronounced then ever.......

Totally agree 1 good game vs crappy Lions and Goldson and Brooks are starting material lol. Total homerisum there and we need to get past that. We need a top S, CB,RT,QB and definately a top OLB who has a history of solid pass rushing skills. Not some 1 year wonder or 4-3 DE. A top CB would be great but Haden wont last very long if he runs fast. We also need a QBOTF in SF. Smith aint the guy to lead us to a 6th ring and if we fix the OL Sing wont wanna continue with the spread O. Theres a very good chance we can nab Claussen this year or Bradford as no top 10 team really needs a QB other than the Rams.
I don’t think there is a “sudden change” in our needs. I think that as the season has gone on, they have waxed and waned a bit, but that was to be expected. The needs have stayed basically the same. OL, Pass Rusher, and KR.
OL-
OG play has been atrocious. It seems that Foerester is at least HALF the problem. I’m willing to let Baas and Rachel develop more, but it would HAVE to be under a new OL coach. No new OL coach = getting better talent. Preferably we can fix this in a jiffy if we get a new OL coach AND better talent VIA free agency. Spend one 1st round pick on OL, either OT or OG, best available.
Pass Rusher- STILL need it! I think Brooks coming on strong at the end of the year is great, but he hasn’t proved to be anymore then a situational pass rusher, ie, rushing when we know they’re passing and against a weak offense. We need someone to be on the field and demanding attention from the opposing offense 100% of the time. We need someone who demands the constant double teams, allowing for fellas like Justin Smith, Manny Lawson, and Parys Haralson to win the individual match-ups. If you have a couple of guys like that, the O simply can’t block them all. Think of then the Giants had success with their 4-3 DL, having three or four deep at DE. You can’t cheat our blocking scheme BOTH to the LDE AND the RDE. You can never, never, NEVER have enough pass rushers. Think if we had J. Smith @ LDE, a Rookie monster @ ROLB, and the speed of Manny @ LOLB, Willis blitzing up the middle. DAMN!

Spend the other 1st on sheer playmaking ability and explosiveness, whether a lock down, young CB, or a KR/RB.
Really the needs themselves are the exact same, just the order maybe a little different. Even that doesn’t change that much because a lot of times in the draft, you have to take the guys that are going to be the difference makers regardless of need (depending on your philosophy). To me, in rounds 1-3 you just take the best guy, or a mix of the best guy/need.
ya we don't need a pass rushing OLB

*time machine*

Lawson is the answer to our pass rush problem!!

Haralson came on strong he is the answer to our pass rush problem!!

Brooks is coming into his own, he is the answer to our pass rush problem!!!!
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Esto.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
ya we don't need a pass rushing OLB

*time machine*

Lawson is the answer to our pass rush problem!!

Haralson came on strong he is the answer to our pass rush problem!!

Brooks is coming into his own, he is the answer to our pass rush problem!!!!

In a 3-4 you're always adding rushers so yes, we do need an OLB.
Share 49ersWebzone