LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 252 users in the forums

What's important to you

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What's important to you

Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Were playing the Rams, why can't both happen. I know Nate's not ready I'm just really curios to see how he would play in a real game.

you know, people are saying Smith can't get anything positive from this game because it's against the rams. If Davis plays and plays decent, people are going to say its against the rams. If he doesnt play well, it's cuz he's a rookie.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Were playing the Rams, why can't both happen. I know Nate's not ready I'm just really curios to see how he would play in a real game.

you know, people are saying Smith can't get anything positive from this game because it's against the rams. If Davis plays and plays decent, people are going to say its against the rams. If he doesnt play well, it's cuz he's a rookie.

If Smith shows good pocket awareness and accuracy on his throws it doesn't matter who he's playing. Stats can be misleading. I want him to step up in the pocket, buy time, run for the 1st down. Those are the things I want to see Sunday that he has rarely done this season.
Originally posted by darkknight49:

If Smith shows good pocket awareness and accuracy on his throws it doesn't matter who he's playing. Stats can be misleading. I want him to step up in the pocket, buy time, run for the 1st down. Those are the things I want to see Sunday that he has rarely done this season.

This.

I want to see him with better pocket awareness and accuracy. I want to see him hitch forward as soon as he hits his back foot instead of staying on that foot and at that spot for the DE to get him. I want to see him NOT try to pass through DL.

But let us take it 1 step every 10 starts and that may even be too fast of a progression for him. The first thing I want to see is a slight hitch (about 1ft forward) after he plants that back foot. This will give him more rhythm and take away tackling lines from the rusher.
Throwing Nate Davis into an NFL game behind our OL and before he knows what he's doing is not what I would call "evaluating" him. As third string QB, he's not even getting reps with the 1's in our regular offense in practice.

How would you know if he's playing poorly because he can't make the proper reads or because he simply doesn't know the offense?

You wouldn't come out of that game knowing anything for certain. Except you'd know that throwing a completely unprepared rookie into a live NFL game is stupid.
Originally posted by Overkill:
Throwing Nate Davis into an NFL game behind our OL and before he knows what he's doing is not what I would call "evaluating" him. As third string QB, he's not even getting reps with the 1's in our regular offense in practice.

How would you know if he's playing poorly because he can't make the proper reads or because he simply doesn't know the offense?

You wouldn't come out of that game knowing anything for certain. Except you'd know that throwing a completely unprepared rookie into a live NFL game is stupid.

Originally posted by jreff22:

/thread.

[Raising hand as an Alexcuser]

We wouldn't know that he's playing poorly. I mean, maybe he makes the proper reads but the WR are not good enough yet or in the right spot. Maybe it's because he's a 1 Back-1TE-3WR QB who excels in that specific formation.

I think putting him in for a series, NOT TO EVALUATE him, but to let him get that taste of a game that's not TC or Preseason is never a bad thing.
Originally posted by Joecool:

We wouldn't know that he's playing poorly. I mean, maybe he makes the proper reads but the WR are not good enough yet or in the right spot. Maybe it's because he's a 1 Back-1TE-3WR QB who excels in that specific formation.

I think putting him in for a series, NOT TO EVALUATE him, but to let him get that taste of a game that's not TC or Preseason is never a bad thing.

I dont see the harm in letting him have a couple of series using the plays that he had in preseason. He looked comfortable then with a limited list of plays. He's not going to throw 10 passes in a row, so let him get a few handoffs and a screen pass or two.
Walsh did it with Montana in his rookie year and that line was worse than this one and the offense more complicated. In fact, Montana appeared in all 16 regular season games during the 1979 season and he threw 23 passes.

[Raising hand as a Doucher]

Fixed.

Oh I kid JoeCool...I kid.

Sort of makes you long for the old days when we had games all wrapped up before the end of the fourth quarter where we usually could see what the QB depth chart offered. Now, we are so far behind trying to catch up or in such a dog fight we can't afford to take out the starter. That of course is unless he stinks which sometimes is the case.

Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

I dont see the harm in letting him have a couple of series using the plays that he had in preseason. He looked comfortable then with a limited list of plays. He's not going to throw 10 passes in a row, so let him get a few handoffs and a screen pass or two.
Walsh did it with Montana in his rookie year and that line was worse than this one and the offense more complicated. In fact, Montana appeared in all 16 regular season games during the 1979 season and he threw 23 passes.

There aren't many reasonable fans out there that care one way or the other if the guy gets "a series or two" but that obviously wasn't the intent of this thread (unless you believe the few series Nate plays in would determine the game).

Nate Davis is completely unprepared to play the entire game and the QB we most need to evaluate is Alex Smith. Alex, not Nate, will determine whether or not this team decides to pursue a top QB this offseason (either in the draft or in FA).

Giving Nate the start or any playing time while the game is still undecided would be stupid.
You guys need to get it through your heads: Nate Davis is not playing this year.
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
Nate Davis is a 5th round QB.......what are you homers really expecting this kid to do? He hasn't even taken any serious reps in practice at QB, do some research from now on.

We all know this... We all know what round he was drafted.. I'm talking evaluation.. Reads, Progression, pocket presence, throws, situatons. Yes they all can be evaluated in a game situation. I can't beleive some are so closed minded. I'm not saying he is the answer or maybe - maybe not a better option, but before considering giving up or two first round picks for Bradford or mcCoy, or trading for Vick, I feel we should give him a look even if its one game.

You want this poor kid to play when he has had almost 0 reps in practice...he will get killed and look like jackass in the process.

Yes and I for some reason dont think he would. Hey how much worse can he do

A rookie QB who has not practiced....even though its the Rams he would play horribly.

And if he did we would know.. That better than just following you and your apparent crystal ball. This game should be about evalution anyway win or lose, they turn in there pads after the game.

How are you going to properly evaluate a player who does not know what he is doing. It's not fair to "throw him out there" and see what happens. We may as well make you the starting QB and see what happens.

I'm gonna have to agree with jeff on this one, D-NOTTE. Expecting to get a fair evaluation of Davis when he has zero knowledge of our playbook is ridiculous. He hasn't even been taking reps at QB. He's been lining up as a WR for the scout team.

Giving him a series or 2 if we were up big seems more realistic. Even then, he wouldn't have anything more than a few plays available to him, and even the rams should have a field day with him in our backfield.
Share 49ersWebzone