There are 212 users in the forums

Should Mike Singletary return as the Niners Head Coach?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should Mike Singletary return as the Niners Head Coach?

• BobS
  • Veteran
I voted no, on the other hand canning him is pointless because the Yorks would replace him with another budget head coach, either a person with no NFL head coaching experience (Nolan, Singeltary) or a proven failure (Erickson). My reason, it seems after his initial motivational speaker angle produced some improvement, getting a 2-5 team to finish 5-4, improvement in the win column has fallen flat. Game day coaching mistakes seem to be just as frequent as they were last year. I will acknowledge certain individual players have improved, but it is not translating into wins. He seems to have hit a wall, hiring some better assistants with proven NFL abilities who be an option, but they aren't cheap either. What good is continuity if you continue to stick with sub-par coaching and front office talent?
Originally posted by cNiner:
how many games do you think we can win next year vs these teams ?

Home games: Oakland, Denver, Tampa Bay, New Orleans, Arizona, Seattle, St. Louis and loser of Sunday's Philadelphia/Dallas game.

Road games: Green Bay, San Diego, Kansas City, Carolina, Atlanta, Arizona, Seattle and St. Louis.

7 to 8 at best if we don't do major upgrading !

Winnable home games: Oakland, Denver, Tampa, Seattle, Arizona, St. Louis (6 wins)
Winnable road games: KC, Carolina, Seattle, St. Louis (4 wins)

That's a 10-6 record if we take care of business.
I think Singletary is too old-school to ever get the Niners to and win a Superbowl. His philosophy is dated. The NFL is a passing league and is still evolving! It's evolving into more spread or spread-like offenses. I saw a stat about this on NFL Live a few weeks ago.

I want an innovative coach. I want a coach that will out-coach and out-scheme other coaches. I want a coach that can make effective halftime adjustments. I want a coach that can attract good, innovative Coordinators!

IF the Niners could get an offensive-minded, innovative coach, then lets hire him! I don't want the Niners to be stuck with an old-school offense and the worst training camp in the NFL.

The Niners faded in the middle and end of the season! Don't we want a team that peaks at the end of the season (and into the playoffs) as opposed to what happened this year? The Niners peaked in the first 4 games of the season!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Home games: Oakland, Denver, Tampa Bay, New Orleans, Arizona, Seattle, St. Louis and loser of Sunday's Philadelphia/Dallas game.

Road games: Green Bay, San Diego, Kansas City, Carolina, Atlanta, Arizona, Seattle and St. Louis.

Between 7 and 9 wins. Without any major upgrade.
For a guy who has never even been a coordinator he has done well, he does however have a LOT of work to do this offseason, he needs to bone up on his X's and O's. Books clinics, long visits with other coaches these kinds of things need to done, or he will fail next season. Motivation is great and very important, but as we can see from the Atlanta game X's and O's count too.

I may be alone in this but I feel this team had 10-11 wins in it based on talent, as indicated by a lot of close games. With a better understanding of the X's and O's we would have been in the play offs, I blame this more on Scotty and York for picking a project as a head coach. It will take a few seasons for Sing to mature as a coach.

I feel a little sad, as sad as I can for a millionaire getting to live out his childhood dreams of playing pro ball. Guys like Gore, who may never play in a championship. Gore has 2-3 years left as a dominate back. History shows us that, will Sing get him a ring?
Originally posted by GoFD74:

Winnable home games: Oakland, Denver, Tampa, Seattle, Arizona, St. Louis (6 wins)
Winnable road games: KC, Carolina, Seattle, St. Louis (4 wins)

That's a 10-6 record if we take care of business.

Right now the way we are playing and the way Carolina is playing, that game is NOT winnable. And yes keep Singletary UNLESS you can get Shanahan. But remember the Yorks want nothing to do with anything connected to the Walsh-Eddie D Eras. So basically we are screwed depending on the draft and FA. Our Offensive game plans stink poundwater and we always have to adjust at the half, we never come out with a game plan that takes it to our opponent, the 2 Arizona games are the exception. Unless something dramatic changes, I look for more of the same next year!
Given that he's a "Rookie" HC, and given that we'll more than likely end the season at 8-8(something that hasn't happened in 7 years I believe), I have no problem with Sing returning next season.

I'm not happy that we didn't make take the Division, but I am happy that it was not business as usual when the Run game did not live up to the plan of attack that Sing wanted. He adapted and for the first time in a long time it was exciting to be a 9er fan.

I'm sorry but anyone who believes otherwise just had unreasonable expectations on the season. Granted they were instilled by Sing and Jed before the season even Started.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Given that he's a "Rookie" HC, and given that we'll more than likely end the season at 8-8(something that hasn't happened in 7 years I believe), I have no problem with Sing returning next season.

I'm not happy that we didn't make take the Division, but I am happy that it was not business as usual when the Run game did not live up to the plan of attack that Sing wanted. He adapted and for the first time in a long time it was exciting to be a 9er fan.

I'm sorry but anyone who believes otherwise just had unreasonable expectations on the season. Granted they were instilled by Sing and Jed before the season even Started.

~Ceadder

I agree with MOST of what you said.... but, with as many close games as we had against top teams, Colts, Vikes etc I think two more wins is not an unreasonable expectation! I think looking back we UNDER performed this year. I would however give Sing a chance to learn the job, he has the intangibles, the ability to motivate, he simply needs to learn his X's and O's.
Ya im down to fire him the more and more i think about it.

He clearly doesn't have a fkn clue about what going on on the offensive side of the ball after watching some of his pressers and reading his statements about Raye.

"That's not acceptable. It's never acceptable," 49ers coach Mike Singletary said during his Monday press conference.

"It's not acceptable to (offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye). I don't think it's acceptable to our offense. Our offense continues to evolve. Going into this last game, hopefully, we can put it all together. This offseason will be the first time ever that anybody on offense has a coordinator or has a consistently going into the offseason. Hopefully, next year will be a lot better."

NO SINGLETARY, KEEPING THIS SAME OFFENSIVELY INEPT HAG IS UNACCEPTABLE. IT KEPT US OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS THIS YEAR, AND ITS GONNA DO THE SAME NEXT.
[ Edited by DynastyChile on Dec 29, 2009 at 11:34 AM ]

I think we can beat any team in the league. Problem is we beat ourselves every time.

Almost have no choice to bring him back but I think we would be better of and biting the bullet and dumping Singletary with Raye and hiring Shanahan. Long term it would be better and even for next year I think it would.

Still I have faith Singletary can get this team into the playoffs next year.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:

I think we can beat any team in the league. Problem is we beat ourselves every time.

Yup....We gotta cut down on the mental/physical errors....but time will & consistensy will fix this...& a better O-line.
I say yes bring him back but he did make some weird decisions during the year. The one that still bugs me is the punt returner situation. It just did not make any sense at all.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
I say yes bring him back but he did make some weird decisions during the year. The one that still bugs me is the punt returner situation. It just did not make any sense at all.

Sing issa ROOKIE HC...so I hope he takes from it & learns.
no he iz baddie coach, he stupid Nolna >>> Sing fire nao!! higher a guUUuuUd coach, no SB! we needz coach to be 17-0!! Alex Smith amazing QB and Shaun Hill, we should be playoffs EAZYZ , FIREZ SING NAO.
Share 49ersWebzone