LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

Should Mike Singletary return as the Niners Head Coach?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should Mike Singletary return as the Niners Head Coach?

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Yah give him one more year. If they dont make the playoffs in 2010 then everybody should be out.
Originally posted by susweel:
Yah give him one more year. If they dont make the playoffs in 2010 then everybody should be out.

Sounds about right.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Sounds about right.
Originally posted by eastie:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
PS - Singletary may have cost us the playoffs by his season switch to Smith as QB. I wonder how Hill would have fared if we had molded the offense to his strengths. The guy posted a winning record with an inept offense. Smith needed that same offense to be tweaked MULTIPLE times with the same oline, receivers, etc. before he could perform, and even with that.......he needs his defense to play big for success.

Couldve been preparing for the Pack/Boys at home right now.

Your a freakin idiot!

Pretty much . . .
Good lord.
I didn't vote for either one, because I do believe we should keep him on, but not in the HC capacity. Maybe DC or asst DC, ( i know, he wouldn't accept a demotion, but...) because he still, no matter how long he stays , has never put in his time as learning how to coach DBs, DLs, QBs, WR, TEs, OLs, or Rbs, let alone an entire team. He was a one dimensional (LB) coach, and had no experience in GMing either. I like bigMike but think he has the limitations that say a guy who wants to practice medicine would have after getting a college degree in biology. You have to learn the material first, you have to put your time in , in the trenches. YOu have to understand each and every position on the team, you have to understand Offense. To be weak in any one of these is one thing. To be weak in them all is another.

Keeping bigmIke here just delays the obvious...getting our team a first class HC who has succeeded elsewhere( OC, DC, or asst OC, DC), and who has experience. With bigMIke we are just playing along as he learns along. That's fine if you have no urgency about WHEN you want to win, but it isn't so fine when you know the talent on your team could be doing better...a lot better. Motivational speakers are extremely helpful, but that doesn't translate into wins. How could this team have come out so flat against first Atlanta, and then the EAgles, when they had the best motivator out there.

That isn't coaching. That is motivation, and we need someone with a well grounded knowledge based in the X's and O's, someone who has put in his time. Bigmike hasn't, and it is distressing to see him discussing post game his O, when he is uncertain about certain plays, who should have been doing what, etc. My personal preference for a HC is a successful and knowledgeable OC who has been around awhile, and hopefully has spent sometime coaching on the D side of the ball also. Sean Payton of N.O. is a good example of a guy taking a trashdump team and making them play like professionals.

It goes without saying that any new HC would also have to be joined by a new experienced and successful GM or HOFO, for this to work, like a loomis in N.O.

Look, bigMIke took this team and turned the attitudes around, actually got this team up from off its back. But there are very few folks who could make a case for bigMIke magically learning on the job in another yr what he really needs to know to be a top flight coach. And coaching for 8 Ws, or 9...geez, that just isn't the 49ers i have grown up loving over the last 4 decades. Prior to Bill Walsh, the team pretty much did fit that mold. We were dragged down into the gutter by the senseless shenanigans of Eddie, with ownership change, and that is hard to rectify. Based on the Yorks level of expertise in pro football, maybe 8 Ws , or 9 is how they measure success.

But we were undercoached, or poorly coached most of this yr, and keeping bigMike around again as HC...does anybody really think he is taking us to the promised land? I suspect one yr from now we will be having this exact same dialogue, should we keep him on another yr. 10 times out of 10 he is going to be outcoached by the best...Sean Payton, Bellichek, Norv turner, childress., Andy Reid, Mike Turner, Cowher..and others, all of whom have paid their dues. BigMIke hasn't, and that is the problem. So yes, he has done a very good job of getting this team up off the matt...but i just don't see much upside from here, despite him being a good guy, and a great motivater.

So my answer to the question "should we keep him", is a qualified no. But the yorks better damn well have a much better replacement in mind as opposed to when they fired mooch( our last winning coach), and had no idea of who to replace him with. Ultimately they chose noln, and we all know how well that went.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I didn't vote for either one, because I do believe we should keep him on, but not in the HC capacity. Maybe DC or asst DC, ( i know, he wouldn't accept a demotion, but...) because he still, no matter how long he stays , has never put in his time as learning how to coach DBs, DLs, QBs, WR, TEs, OLs, or Rbs, let alone an entire team. He was a one dimensional (LB) coach, and had no experience in GMing either. I like bigMike but think he has the limitations that say a guy who wants to practice medicine would have after getting a college degree in biology. You have to learn the material first, you have to put your time in , in the trenches. YOu have to understand each and every position on the team, you have to understand Offense. To be weak in any one of these is one thing. To be weak in them all is another.

Keeping bigmIke here just delays the obvious...getting our team a first class HC who has succeeded elsewhere( OC, DC, or asst OC, DC), and who has experience. With bigMIke we are just playing along as he learns along. That's fine if you have no urgency about WHEN you want to win, but it isn't so fine when you know the talent on your team could be doing better...a lot better. Motivational speakers are extremely helpful, but that doesn't translate into wins. How could this team have come out so flat against first Atlanta, and then the EAgles, when they had the best motivator out there.

That isn't coaching. That is motivation, and we need someone with a well grounded knowledge based in the X's and O's, someone who has put in his time. Bigmike hasn't, and it is distressing to see him discussing post game his O, when he is uncertain about certain plays, who should have been doing what, etc. My personal preference for a HC is a successful and knowledgeable OC who has been around awhile, and hopefully has spent sometime coaching on the D side of the ball also. Sean Payton of N.O. is a good example of a guy taking a trashdump team and making them play like professionals.

It goes without saying that any new HC would also have to be joined by a new experienced and successful GM or HOFO, for this to work, like a loomis in N.O.

Look, bigMIke took this team and turned the attitudes around, actually got this team up from off its back. But there are very few folks who could make a case for bigMIke magically learning on the job in another yr what he really needs to know to be a top flight coach. And coaching for 8 Ws, or 9...geez, that just isn't the 49ers i have grown up loving over the last 4 decades. Prior to Bill Walsh, the team pretty much did fit that mold. We were dragged down into the gutter by the senseless shenanigans of Eddie, with ownership change, and that is hard to rectify. Based on the Yorks level of expertise in pro football, maybe 8 Ws , or 9 is how they measure success.

But we were undercoached, or poorly coached most of this yr, and keeping bigMike around again as HC...does anybody really think he is taking us to the promised land? I suspect one yr from now we will be having this exact same dialogue, should we keep him on another yr. 10 times out of 10 he is going to be outcoached by the best...Sean Payton, Bellichek, Norv turner, childress., Andy Reid, Mike Turner, Cowher..and others, all of whom have paid their dues. BigMIke hasn't, and that is the problem. So yes, he has done a very good job of getting this team up off the matt...but i just don't see much upside from here, despite him being a good guy, and a great motivater.

So my answer to the question "should we keep him", is a qualified no. But the yorks better damn well have a much better replacement in mind as opposed to when they fired mooch( our last winning coach), and had no idea of who to replace him with. Ultimately they chose noln, and we all know how well that went.

Great read I agree completely
It wasn't a smooth year by any means, but it's obvious that this team has gotten better under Singletary. We'd be nuts to fire our coach after actually improving the team...now, if we fail to make the playoffs next year, that's a different story.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoFD74:
It wasn't a smooth year by any means, but it's obvious that this team has gotten better under Singletary. We'd be nuts to fire our coach after actually improving the team...now, if we fail to make the playoffs next year, that's a different story.

Let McCloughan and Singletary return for another year. If they fail next year, s**t can both of their asses.

Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by GoFD74:

Let McCloughan and Singletary return for another year. If they fail next year, s**t can both of their asses.

PS - Singletary may have cost us the playoffs by his season switch to Smith as QB. I wonder how Hill would have fared if we had molded the offense to his strengths. The guy posted a winning record with an inept offense. Smith needed that same offense to be tweaked MULTIPLE times with the same oline, receivers, etc. before he could perform, and even with that.......he needs his defense to play big for success.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Singletary is the Head Cheerleader in charge. I don't know what he actually does during the games other than clap hands.

I don't see him as a hands-on micro-manager who is actively involved in game planning or play calling. I think that power is completely delegated to the Coordinators.

IF that's the case, maybe this poll should be about the coordinators.

I liked the job that Manusky did but not so much for Raye. His play calling was very conservative, unimaginative and way too predictable.

Personally. I hope the staff returns intact with the exception of the OL coach.. We have suffered through lousy line play for far too long and we need to bring a new coach that can actually build the OL into a force, instead of the farce they are now.
how many games do you think we can win next year vs these teams ?

Home games: Oakland, Denver, Tampa Bay, New Orleans, Arizona, Seattle, St. Louis and loser of Sunday's Philadelphia/Dallas game.

Road games: Green Bay, San Diego, Kansas City, Carolina, Atlanta, Arizona, Seattle and St. Louis.

7 to 8 at best if we don't do major upgrading !
Share 49ersWebzone