LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 420 users in the forums

Should Mike Singletary return as the Niners Head Coach?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should Mike Singletary return as the Niners Head Coach?

I get the feeling from several post I've read that most zoners don't want Coach Singletary to return. So I'm curious how many?

IMO Coach Singletary should return. He is a leader, a motivator, a disciplinarian, and a players coach. The last thing the Niners need is to start over with another round of coaches. He has the team believing they are winners and they will only get better under his leadership.

Does he have a lot to learn and improve on? Yes; especially his game time decisions. He will improve, because of who he is. He strives for perfection and he demands it from his players. He deserves at least another season or two with the Niners.
[ Edited by kemp_j on Dec 29, 2009 at 5:50 AM ]
No.
yes we should get rid of a first year coach who will probably go 8-8 his first year so we can really become the laughing stock of the nfl.

sure we didnt get blown out in any games like we did with Nolan but we should have won those games but Singletary doesnt have that killer instinct that we armchair GM's do even though he displayed it game after game in his HOF career.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
No.

Nice insight.

Anyway, yeah, he should return. With 1 full year under his belt, i'm sure he's learned a lot. As long as he improves on the things he needs to over the offseason and it shows next year, I don't see him leaving any sooner than after next year.
Originally posted by miked1978:
yes we should get rid of a first year coach who will probably go 8-8 his first year so we can really become the laughing stock of the nfl.

sure we didnt get blown out in any games like we did with Nolan but we should have won those games but Singletary doesnt have that killer instinct that we armchair GM's do even though he displayed it game after game in his HOF career.

Did you watch the Atlanta game? Not saying he should be fired just because of that game. But you said "we didnt get blown out in any games".
The man hasn't failed yet, and I doubt he will. He should be our coach for years to come. Nobody becomes a great head coach over night unless your handed a team that already has the pieces in place to succeed.
Yes, I think he learned not to give qb's like Favre a second chance and that running to get a first down may not always be the right decision. Sometimes you need to throw to get that first down because that's all you need to win. I think Singletary learned there are different ways to closeout a game and I think Singletary learned you can win with the pass too. Yes, Singletary should return but the roster has to change.
Some of you guys really are hard to impress...the guy is in his first year as a head coach and might go 8-8 and some think he should be fired???
  • ZRF80
He deserves to be back, even if it's for the sake of continuity. With that said, Id take Shanahan or Holmgren over him in a heartbeat. We were made to be a WCO, and it sucks to see teams like the Eagles and Packers execute it so well, while we switch philosophies on a weekly basis.
No.

Sometimes, it just isnt worth writing any more is it?

Nuff zed

• ZRF80
PS - Singletary may have cost us the playoffs by his season switch to Smith as QB. I wonder how Hill would have fared if we had molded the offense to his strengths. The guy posted a winning record with an inept offense. Smith needed that same offense to be tweaked MULTIPLE times with the same oline, receivers, etc. before he could perform, and even with that.......he needs his defense to play big for success.

Couldve been preparing for the Pack/Boys at home right now.
Originally posted by ktate14:
Some of you guys really are hard to impress...the guy is in his first year as a head coach and might go 8-8 and some think he should be fired???

Its amazing to me too........... He definitely isn't any worse than Dennis Erickson or Mike Nolan.
I want him back
Any HC that calls a Time Out before the first play of the game and waste all the teams TOs before the first quarter, leaving them no chance to challenge game changing refs calls, has no place in this league.

For a motivational speaker, why is it the Niners come out lifeless in the first half of games on several occassions? It's almost like two different teams between first and second halfs.

His Defense plays "lights out" one week only to be ghosts the following week.

Altering the offense to spread to help A Smith, might as well bench his best Offensive weapon in F Gore, as his presence is near non-existant with so many shot gun formations, and lack of touches. While power running game was not working going from one extreme to another is hardly the answer.

His ultra conservative approach with a tie or slight lead in games, esp games that aren't even in the 4th quarter is a recipe for disaster everytime, not to mention makes for a horriblly boring game to watch.

Lastly this teams record vs non NFC West teams and road games proformance has to get better if they ever expect to play a game past week 17.

I say NO to Singletary coming back next season, there are several big name HCs looking for work, Head coaches who have game time experience and know what to do in nearly every situation, why continue to have faith in a rookie HC, when there are lots of proven experienced guys available NOW!! (That list is shrinking by the day it's time to act before it's too late.

Some Niners fans here appear excited about a shot at a .500 record

Woot 8-8 wow Niners have arrived under Singletary, Other teams can go from 2-14 one season to playoffs in the following season yet here we are satisfied we beat our 7-9 record of 06?

I expect more
[ Edited by 9erfreak on Dec 29, 2009 at 8:03 AM ]
No.

lol
Share 49ersWebzone